Youth Yanks Abroad, ‘01-‘04 YOBs (and younger): 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Gary Kleiban is an agent.

People need to keep that in mind when reading Kleiban's posts about Mendez, Llanez, or these other kids. I mean, Cory Gibbs does the same thing. Hypes up Chris Richards on twitter, congratulates him on performances and milestones.

Gary Kleiban is not a neutral witness.

What I dislike is the negativity from Kleiban. At some point that's bad for business if you're an agent. What one sees from Cory Gibbs is only positive messages about his own clients, MLS, the USSF, etc.
    1168894504797163532 is not a valid tweet id

2. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Not to dive too far into conspiracy theories but if Kleiban represents Mendez, Llanez and possibly Perez, who is to say he won't guide them towards Mexico over the US? Kleiban doesn't seem to have much affinity for the US Fed ( can be understandable at times) and his brother is an out of work coach that Mexico could possibly hire. Would be interesting if we lose any players Kleiban represents.

At any rate, it looks like the US camp is at the same time as the U16 Mexico Camp and Johnathan Gomez from FCD chose the US over Mexico so that is a good sign.

Pegasus repped this.
  3. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Ever read Kleibans thoughts on Paxton? one of the best up and coming US players and he bags on him and constantly tears him down. Your right on the negatively front.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    What if Paxton or Carleton or one of these other kids is looking for an agent to help them get to Europe?

Its just bad for business.

And I have no doubt that Gary's antics have recently been a big reason that his brother lost his job with the Galaxy. That was implied by Te Kloese if not outright stated.

Whatever we might think of the mouthpiece (Gary), the actual coach (Brian Kleiban) has produced good players and prospects of late. Its a real shame that he's not currently working with more youngsters in MLS or DA academy.

If I was an MLS club like Houston desperately needing help in the academy, I'd immediately reach out to Brian. Or hell, what about the new club in Austin? And tell him he needs to leave his brother behind............................

TxEx, Patrick167, Pegasus and 2 others repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Reyna in UEFA Youth League against Barcelona today. Hello...................
    1173980700497850368 is not a valid tweet id

It appears Konrad de la Fuente lined up for Barca in this game, but I haven't seen anything online regarding his performance.
    1173953950623703040 is not a valid tweet id

Pl@ymaker and Tactical Hipster repped this.
  6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Regardless of what you think the substance of his opinions, Gary Kleiban is clearly a giant ahole. I wouldn't want him anywhere near my organization.

As long as there's a situation where Gary is going to have regular contact with my players through Brian -- or Brian is going to outright push them to Gary, which I don't know that he does -- there's no point in hiring Brian.

There are lots of good academy coaches out there. No matter how good Brian is, you can have one that basically tells players not to sign with you under any circumstance.

The same people that rant on MLS-USSF conflict of interest have no issue with this conflict of interest, but it's massive, has a detrimental effect and is completely avoidable.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  7. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    There is no Gary and Brian. That's one Garian creature. That is unemployable in MLS.

8. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    1174020202645921794 is not a valid tweet id

largegarlic and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    1173980700497850368 is not a valid tweet id

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i thought the big kid not passing was gio, but then he collected the rebound

11. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Poachers goal. Right place right time.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Keyshawn Johnson can't pass the ball to Keyshawn Johnson. Gio Reyna, on the other hand...

onefineesq and largegarlic repped this.
  13. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    A lot us (myself included) were justifiably down on him after his lackluster U-20 WC, but he has a natural ability to glide past defenders that few Americans have. I doubt he'll make it at Barca, and he might not make it as a top level player in general, but there's still something there and worth keeping an eye on.

Peretz48 repped this.
  14. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I like to temper my negative view of the performance w/an acknowledgement that he was about 18-24 months younger than his opponents and trained well enough to get starting run despite clearly not being at Llanez's level. To me, temper the disappointment w/an understanding that in '21, he'll be the age of most of the opponents he matched up with four months ago, so, still time for him to improve, right now, he's clearly no more than a hold, but at that age, that ain't bad.

Patrick167 repped this.
  15. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Pynadath is a LW, then he too is ahead of Konrad IMO.

16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    The obvious irony is that you and other primarily MLS/USSF supporters have a problem with this perceived “conflict of interest” but no issue or belief in the MLS/USSF one. Even more hypocritical, you then call out others for mirroring your actions/beliefs.

btlove, SCSAutism and Patrick167 repped this.
  17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Apologies for being an old dope but when I looked up Kleiban on Twitter, it only had stuff from 2009. What’s his handle?

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #193 Clint Eastwood, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    He hides behind the 3four3 twitter handle now. Just a dope.
    Here's a very recent tweet. As if the community here didn't know about Efra or Uly or Alex a hell of a long time ago. No. ONLY HE KNEW! :)

I found all of it kind of amusing before it came to light that he was the agent of these players. Now its taken on a different tone for me.......................

Its one thing when just a fan is saying this sort of stuff. Remember, this is the agent of a group of our best prospects. It really is disconcerting. And there is no question whatsoever, no question whatsoever...................this Gary's mouth and actions have directly effected the career prospects of one our best youth coaches. Cuz Brian Kleiban does seem to know what he's doing. There's a reason that Gary is increasingly lashing out against the establishment. Its because they want nothing to do with him. He desperately wants to be part of the community and an insider. The more the community rejects him, the more he lashes out.

Winoman, DHC1 and Tactical Hipster repped this.
  19. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I don't want this thread to go off track into a discussion of the Kleiban Bros., but in fairness to Brian, whatever one might think of his brother or of his behavior, I think we should recognize and give him props for the players he has developed. Of the kids he had from an early age, say U10, here is a short list of where they are now. This doesn't include an additional number now playing NCAA Div 1, some of whom may eventually play professionally.
    Alex Mendez- Ajax
    Uly Llanez- Wolfsburg
    Efrain Alvarez- LA Galaxy
    John "Xuxuh" Hilton - Volendam (Netherlands)
    After coming to the LA Galaxy Kleiban then worked with other players, & helped develop them:
    Leonardo Sepulveda- Salamanca (Spain)
    Zico Bailey- Kalmar (Allsvenskan, Sweden)
    And also worked with Mauricio Cuevas, LAG II & Kobe Hernandez-Foster ???
    I've watched his teams play and I have no doubt he was instrumental in developing these players as well as others who may eventually be heard from.

That's what's so damn disheartening about what's happened. Here is a very good coach who, for reasons only he knows, got swept up in his brother's machinations.

SCSAutism, KUSA77, ielag and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    His first high profile prospect was.................Ben Lederman, right?

21. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zico Bailey's actually with FC Helsingør now. That's the Jordan Gardner-owned club in the third division of Danish league football.

22. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I think Lederman trained with him briefly at Real So Cal before Kleiban moved to FC Barcelona (now TFA) and started coaching the U10 team there, which included Mendez, Llanez, Hilton, and later Alvarez. FWIW, as much as some view Lederman as a "failure" because he didn't make it at Barcelona, he's still in the game, in the reserves, at KAA Gent (Belgium).

SCSAutism and Patrick167 repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Efra and Uly calls were pretty obvious, and Efra's stock has probably decreased in comparison to his '02 counterparts since then, while Uly's has probably gone up.

You gotta give him credit with the Mendez call, though. I still don't think he's the best '00, but he's at least in the conversation, and none of us believed that when he said it.

Patrick167 repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why stop at Pynadath? Everyone is ahead of a player who didn’t do that well at a youth tournament against older players.

btlove, SCSAutism and Patrick167 repped this.