Youth Yanks Abroad, ‘01-‘04 YOBs (and younger): 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 20, 2019.

1. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    They can, and just did -- Scally is 16 and won't be going over until he's 18. Okay, it's a bit cheating as he turns 17 in a month, but still.

DHC1 repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #327 Clint Eastwood, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Sure. But that's happened a lot.
    Unless there's a passport situation I don't know about, that just happened with Joseph Scally. He's only 16, and was just sold to Gladbach in Germany. Loaned back to NYCFC for the 2020 season. His 18th birthday happens to be December 2020, right before the January 2021 transfer window.

That goes way back to like um......................Charles Renken and gang of that era in the late 2000s. He was signed by Hoffenheim and loaned to Vancouver until his 18th birthday. Oh, there was another player of that era who did the same thing. Also to Vancouver. Damn, can't remember who it was. Was it Joseph Gyau?

This was back when Vancouver was one of the few residential academies in the US/Canada. It made sense at the time.

Runhard repped this.
  3. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Scally is a mere 10 days older than Pepi.

I’d be interested if some Euro clubs are kicking the tires on Bello as well. He turns 18 in the January window.

gogorath repped this.
  4. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    That is great news as I was not aware of that. I hope Johnathan Gomez and his agent are looking into this.

A second question, can the kid sign with a euro team and not sign with an MLS team at all? For example, could Gomez not sign with FCD, sign with Dortmund now and just hang out in the states until he is 18?

5. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Yes but what would he do until he gets to 18?

6. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Play for FCD? Play for Solar? Play for DT? FCD gives kids minutes that don't sign and haven't taken a hard line on it yet. Tessman, Gomez, Bonilla etc.

If FCD told him to leave he could probably go over on training stints for months at a time or just play at another local DA club for a year or so.

Only reason to do it is to make it easier to negotiate with the euro team and not have FCD in the conversation. If FCD was willing to sign him and them let him go at a rate the euro team was happy with, he could do that as well.

DHC1 repped this.
  7. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    The way I understand it, he wouldn't be able to sign with the Euro team, but could organize a pre-contract. I could be wrong though. And yes, I doubt the MLS club would just let him continue to be a part of the youth set up.

NoHammiesAltidore and DHC1 repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #333 Clint Eastwood, Nov 15, 2019
    I'm not sure about that.................

I think a club can sign Jonathan Gomez and loan him back to FCD. But I don't think they can loan him to Solar or Texans, which aren't FIFA sanctioned organizations. Players on Solar or the Texans can't be salaried.

Does Bayern Munich have "right of first refusal" on FCD contracted youngsters as part of their partnership? They might. I'd find it hard to believe that FCD would arrange a Pepi move like this with Dortmund, for instance.

Anyway, I think the whole Pepi strategy is that he's going to be sold at 18. FCD working to maximize profit on him.

Thomas Roberts is the borderline case for me. Bayern already has Taylor Booth in this age group.
    Is Thomas Roberts better than Taylor Booth? Good question. Don't know as I don't watch Taylor Booth at all. But it wouldn't shock me if Roberts is loaned there like Richards was. Then Bayern can get an extended look.

9. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    You are probably right on the loan back issue. I guess his option would be to sign overseas and take a number of training trips over there until he is 18 and then move.

How young is a good question. Will Bayner star signing 13 year olds from FCD in the near future? If they do, its not a wise move as you have no idea what a kid will be like at 18 when he is 13. I think 16 or 17 would be the youngest in consideration.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think we can probably find examples down in Brazil of clubs signing players really young. But not 13. What's the name of that Brazilian kid that went to Real Madrid? Oh, Vinicius Junior. Same thing. Real Madrid bought him for a bazillion dollars ......................and had to wait until his 18th birthday to bring him over. At the time I think that was the largest transfer fee in history for a player under 19 years old. Don't know if it still is. Somebody like Mbappe has probably crushed it since.

Clubs are very cautious with these things. Clubs that have been given transfer bans have often been caught trying to skirt these rules. Such as Ben Lederman at Barcelona. No business being at their academy at the age he was at.

NoHammiesAltidore repped this.
  11. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    No. Sargent, Ledezma, Mendez, etc. weren’t allowed to sign until they turned 18.

Scally hasn’t officially signed with Gladbach. Basically, NYCFC and Gladbach have agreed to the transfer but Scally is still under contract with NYCFC until January 2021.

Runhard and NoHammiesAltidore repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its more of the clubs "agreeing to a transfer" early in the Scally case..................than the actual transfer. Same for Vinicius Junior.

13. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    #338 bpet15, Nov 15, 2019
    Exactly - its more of a pre-contract type situation and an agreement for the future.

Terms between Monchengladbach and Scally have obviously been reached or BMG would not have agreed to sale price with NYCFC.

14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Pepi would still have a right to refuse the sale. Something like "Always hated Bayern, send
    me to Dynamo (Kiev, Minsk, Zagreb, Moscow, Houston, any Dynamo) they'll match Bayern offer, I'm sure."

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #341 Clint Eastwood, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    1196487618273456129 is not a valid tweet id

Oh....................and there's more smoke about Busio. This is one I think is going to happen in the next window. More than $3 million? Take it to the bank. By the way, reports seem to indicate at least two OFFERS have been made. This isn't just "interest" it seems.

Eighteen Alpha and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Busio is not gonna make it at Fiorentina.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Who knows? The fact that he has an Italian passport means that a lot of clubs are interested NOW as opposed to after his 18th birthday.

If SKC is being offered more than $3 million, then they need to take that money and run. Do a little haggling now to maximize profit, but sell in the January window.

bballshawn repped this.
  19. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SKC should sell Busio if there is a bid for him. Going to Italy is not gonna make Busio any better.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I have less of a problem with SKC rejecting this transfer because I don't think Fiorentina is a good environment for Busio to develop in compared to SKC, where I think he could be a starter next season or a key backup. I do however continue to believe that MLS clubs have a tendency to not let these players leave when they should. SKC should've let Busio leave, if he wanted this transfer. If Busio gets an offer from a team that would be a better development environment at market value, I could definitely see them rejecting that offer and asking for a price like 10M, which he isn't close to being worth.

21. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    But we get to follow Primavera League again

22. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Tell me more about this take. What do you mean in saying this

23. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not good enough.

24. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Busio definitely has the ability to make it at a mid/upper tier Serie A club after a couple more years of positive progress (I think one more year at SKC would be good for him, so a deal similar to Scally's might make a lot of sense here).