Youth Teams

Discussion in 'Canada' started by hawk_claw, Mar 30, 2005.

1. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    THis could be a stupid question but i know next to nothing about Canadian soccer, but i am a Canadian citizen living in the US....and i wanted to know if canada had any youth teams, and how they find the players for these teams. I know in the US there are ODP teams ... and i was curious how canada does this

2. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The U20's just won all three of their qualifying games (2-1 over Mexico, 1-0 over Honduras IN Honduras and 1-0 over Jamaica) to make it to the WYC 2005 in Holland. They have made the WYC 3 times in a row, winning their Q group all three times. In 2003, they barely lost to Spain in extra-time in the quarter-finals.

Canada will be hosting the 2007 WYC. Most of the team's players play in European youth academies or the NCAA.

3. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Canada has National Training Centres across the country.... similar to the ODP in the US I suppose. I am sure there is some info over on www.canadasoccer.com

4. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    how would canadian citizens in other countries be noticed for these training centres??? im from the US and i was wondering how they recognized canadain citizens abroad

5. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If you are playing at a very high level in the USA, I would hope that an email to one of the CSA contacts at www.canadasoccer.com would cause them to sit up and take notice. You can find the youth coach contacts at that site.
    Keep in mind that quite a few of our U20s are with pro teams in Europe or at Div 1 schools in the USA and at the U20 level at least we are on a par with the USA, having qualified for 1997, 2001, 2003, 2005 and coming in first in our group in the last 3 U20 CONCACAF tournies.

6. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    thanks a lot