Youth player taking the taking the mickey of a coach - advice

Discussion in 'Coach' started by slewis1972, Mar 14, 2017.

1. slewis1972

slewis1972 New Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Hi All

Need some advice as not sure I am reading this right. I originally posted this in youth section but was advised to post here as more coaches hang out here.

I have a player that has in the last 18months been a right pain. Initially just talking over coaches while we are explaining drills etc, to them kicking balls away when we are trying to discuss drills etyc. The other players have now got annoyed with set player and they now tell him to stop, I just stop talking and wait for them to deal with him as got sick and tired of keep telling him as he was not listening. But its becoming more common. Yes I have a few others that can be silly/pain at times but nothing like this player. Its also coming to a point that times I am not enjoying the sessions when this player starts. I have been coaching for 15+ years and enjoy what I do in a voluntary capacity.

On Sunday just gone, coaching a game, the players were not reacting to change in transition from attack to defend, so a quick shout out from me "drop drop drop", players reacted, all good. BUT this player was subbed at the time, standing with 2 other subs. This player then started muttering "drop drop drop" under his breath in a tone I did not like. I felt he was taking the mickey (piss) out of me. I did not say anything as was concentrating on the 9 players out on the field. If I also heard it, so did the other 2 subs.

But I think I must say something. I was thinking I advise the group that if I hear anyone take the mickey out of the coaches, I will immediately suspect x player for 1 session and 1 game. Any further repeats - go find a new club.

Am I reading too much into this?

Anyone else had to deal with similar.

Thanks in advance.

2. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Age? Gender? Level? I am guessing that "taking the mickey (piss) out of me" means ridicule or mock. Do you have a discipline plan that was shared with players and parents at the start of the season? (If you google "classroom discipline plan" you may find examples of various age appropriate plans for teachers.)

This is an interesting situation. This is not a problem dealing with an individual. This is a problem dealing with the group. You want to implement a very strict discipline plan (no warnings, suspension on 1st occurrence, drop on second.) Locally there are usually rules that limit a coach's ability to suspend or cut players during the season. The situation is complicated because there is no established team rule on point, and no disciplinary action was taken for many similar incidents for the last 18 months. Apparently the problem only occurs when the player is idle and only the one player has ever been a problem.

I am sure every coach has dealt with similar situations and that you will get lots of responses here. Have you discussed this player with the other coaches and what did they say?

I am not going to comment further without at least knowing the age of the players.

3. slewis1972

slewis1972 New Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Thanks for the reply. U12s, Male.

Yes I have a disciplinary process in place. Just never been mocked before behind my back...

4. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U12 male- what level?

Talk to the team about behavior expectations first.
    If that doesn't change anything, talk to the kid individually (away from the rest of the team).
    If that doesn't change anything, set up a meeting with the parents. Explain in specifics what he's been doing. Explain in specifics what you have told the team. Tell them in specifics what will happen to their kid if it happens again. Give a specific plan.
    I had/have a similar situation with a u12 female player. She's been good lately. Last season I told her parents if she didn't start being a better teammate, she should take a few weeks off. And if she decided that she wanted to come back after that, she'd need to write me a letter outlining what she was doing that was inappropriate and what she would do to change it.
    She told several players she was quitting the team. They begged her to stay. That was all it took for her. The kid just wanted to feel needed.

5. Sami Paakkanen

Mar 4, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    Hello.

Tell them your rules, what is forbidden and if they won´t respect your rules, put them side. Afterwords talk to them and tell them why you did so. Do this every time they won´t respect your rules and you have no more problems.

Less rules = more fun !

-Sami

6. Sami Paakkanen

Mar 4, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    If you quit talking, it is act of your aggression. That is really passive way to shot your aggression and many times it is not enough. It is good to get to know your aggression, it helps you to use it right way. Have nice summer and enjoy your aggression, it´s a gift ;)

-Sami