Youth player taking the taking the mickey of a coach - advice

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by slewis1972, Mar 14, 2017.

1. slewis1972

slewis1972 New Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Hi All

Need some advice as not sure I am reading this right.

I have a player that has in the last 18months been a right pain. Initially just talking over coaches while we are explaining drills etc, to them kicking balls away when we are trying to discuss drills etyc. The other players have now got annoyed with set player and they now tell him to stop, I just stop talking and wait for them to deal with him as got sick and tired of keep telling him as he was not listening. But its becoming more common. Yes I have a few others that can be silly/pain at times but nothing like this player. Its also coming to a point that times I am not enjoying the sessions when this player starts. I have been coaching for 15+ years and enjoy what I do in a voluntary capacity.

On Sunday just gone, coaching a game, the players were not reacting to change in transition from attack to defend, so a quick shout out from me "drop drop drop", players reacted, all good. BUT this player was subbed at the time, standing with 2 other subs. This player then started muttering "drop drop drop" under his breath in a tone I did not like. I felt he was taking the mickey (piss) out of me. I did not say anything as was concentrating on the 9 players out on the field. If I also heard it, so did the other 2 subs.

But I think I must say something. I was thinking I advise the group that if I hear anyone take the mickey out of the coaches, I will immediately suspect x player for 1 session and 1 game. Any further repeats - go find a new club.

Am I reading too much into this?

Anyone else had to deal with similar.

Thanks in advance.

2. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I would tend to agree it sounds more a problem then just kids being kids and I don’t disagree that you need to step in and do something official…

With that said, you might get better understanding and advice from the Coaches sub-forum; lots of coaches from all levels and ages hang out there…this sub-forum tends to be made up of mostly parents, most I am sure would be horrified to think their kids acted that way in practice or to a coach…

Good luck…

bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Have you spoke with the player privately?

I would do that - and explain your observations. It will provide him the opportunity to clean his act up without involving a congressional hearing over it.

"If this continues I cannot have you on my field"

That really should do it - I would think.

4. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I'm assuming since you have 9 on the field, it's U12 or below. My suggestion (as a parent)...

If the child is 11, at the next practice, pull the child aside before practice starts. Let him know you have noticed his behavior (give examples) and it needs to stop. If it does not stop, playing time will suffer. I suggest having an assistant coach or team manager at the discussion just as a witness. Be factual and non-emotional.

If the child is 10 or under, do the same, but have the child's parent at the meeting. Again, have an assistant coach or team manager there so it doesn't become a case of "he said/she said".

5. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sounds like the kid has some kind of learning disability. If I am right with the limited information you gave us I would bet he has the same problem in school and his parents are aware of it. This those not help your situation how long has he been with the team and what is his actual age.