Your Unfavorite Buck Shaw Moments

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by nivla, Oct 9, 2014.

1. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The team web site has a "Bye to Buck Shaw" to record the favorite and memorable moments.
    http://www.sjearthquakes.com/byetothebuck

How about your unfavorable moments of the Buck Shaw that you rather forget? On field? Off field?

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final results of the San Jose Earthquakes 2010 and 2012 home playoff legs. :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

athletics68 and bsman repped this.
  3. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mike magee's keeper performance for the scum in 2011. that game was pretty much the last we saw of ampai and mcloughlin.

4. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bootgate

ColinMcCarthy, Beerking, bsman and 3 others repped this.
  5. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, beat me to it.
    One of the wildest but worst memories of a game I've attended there.
    Khari breaking Ricketts' arm with his head (and the Ultras subsequently chanting "F U Ricketts!" as he leaves with a season-ending injury), Lenhart heading the ball out of Saunders' hands and getting him red carded for an elbow, then the Quakes failing to score while playing more than a half with a one man advantage AND Mike Magee in goal. An utter failure of coaching and playing. One of the turning points that had me calling for Yallop's head soon after. A game which we should have gone for the jugular and turned Buck Shaw into a shooting gallery, we were passive enough to sit back and wait for chances and only really try at the end. Pathetic coaching and pathetic play. Most disappointing game I attended there.

mjlee22 and leocal11 repped this.
  6. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as much as you love bashing us, we've been asked by multiple quakes players to do more profane and insulting songs/chants and that what they hear in opposing stadiums is far worse than what we do.

DotMPP and QuakesForever repped this.
  7. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every single ****ing loss.

8. evade6317

evade6317 Member+

Jun 27, 2007
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2012 playoff loss was painful. After a season of playing some of the best attacking soccer MLS has ever seen, they played scared and fell back on booting the ball up from the back, and force feeding the ball to the wings so Omar Gonzalez could neutralize every cross. And from that game they never changed their ways.

Neuwerld repped this.
  9. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Using a port-a-potty (it's only happened once since I've been to the Buck and that was enough)
    2) When the FO moved the away-supporters section right above my section on the West side. The plus is the FO helped me move to 114, closer to midfield.
    3) Every loss

Beerking repped this.
  10. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Wow, that was pathetic. The injury (because he tried to run faster than he'd ever run before - having to chase the "speedy" Chad Barrett!) was bad enough, but was that Joe who was beaten so easily on that two-bit move by Barrett?

Pitchkolan is apparently still playing - "thriving" in NASL with Minnesota.

12. Stereolab

Stereolab BigSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCD/SJE 5-0. Surely.

ColinMcCarthy and Neuwerld repped this.
  13. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    after being up on aggregate 1-0, the 2nd leg loss to LA in 2012 still hurts

Magee's performance as a goalie is a close 2nd.....that was embarrassing..

Neuwerld and mjlee22 repped this.
  14. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #14 QuietType, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    What did I say was bashing? Just recounting all of the craziness I remember from that game. I don't care what they say in other stadiums.

15. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Two moments of the 11/08/2012 playoff game at Buck Shaw against the LA Galaxy are burned in my mind. The first is when Victor Bernardez suddenly crumpled to the field (and with him, our postseason hopes). The second was in the final moments of the game when Ike Opara had a sitter and could have scored in true Goonie-style but instead shot it over the bar.

Neuwerld, bigdumbgod and QuietType repped this.
  16. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch. I tried to forget that game.

17. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My most miserable associations with the BS don't have that much to do with the actual play on the field. They're things like:

1. Being given TSA-style (wo)manhandling by gatekeepers with too much power on their hands. I get through that gauntlet and am already in a foul mood, even before we lose.

2. Trying to get Win Pins after games without getting trampled thanks to the incomprehensibly dangerous setup at the gate. At least we haven't had that problem lately!

3. Being told, after I made the mistake of leaving my seat at halftime, that I could not go directly back to my seat and had to walk all the way around, upstairs and downstairs, and it was still halftime, by the way. I ignored this hapless staffer and continued to my seat.

4. Corollary to #3, being told by aforementioned security squad that for some unfathomable reason I cannot exit in front of the Ultras but must again walk up a flight of stairs, squeeze through a chokepoint (does the fire department care about this?) and then down a flight of stairs. I ignore these brutes, by the way. Don't be afraid to high five me, Ultras.

5. Having my cell phone drop out of my lap and into the no-man's land under the stands (west side) or roll to the front of the section (east side).

6. Accessing my west side seats by identifying the sets of portapotties that mark the entrance to those stands.

7. Shivering as the cold winds swept through the west stands, even in summer. You could never dress too warmly for the west side!

8. Being forced to turn my body 60 degrees to the side to accommodate people who don't seem to understand that they shouldn't park their butts six inches past the end of their seats because my legs are not removable and I need somewhere to put them.

9. Spending a whole game enduring the kicks from little kids seated on their parents' laps.

10. Double points for #9 when the parents are fans of the opposing team.

11. Trying to understand why the FO always fills the empty seats around me with fans from other clubs. Can't they sit with their own kind and annoy SoccerMan instead?

After years of getting stuck in post-game traffic at Spartan, I am now spoiled by the free parking and fast exit from Buck Shaw. I hope our Epicenter won't be a step backward, because I'd hate having to miss anything about Buck Shaw.

evade6317 and nivla repped this.
  18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    For me I guess it would have to be the 5-0 loss to Dallas this year, which is not so much about the venue but about the team. That was just embarrassing. Felt bad for the Portuguese community who had attended for "Portuguese Heritage Night". You just can't lose 5-0 at home.

Other than that, I enjoyed the Buck for the most part. Seating was tight, but a lot of times I wasn't sitting anyway - just standing up on the concourse at the top moving to the Quakes offensive side ('cause I don't care about defense :--) ). Parking was no problem - used the "Togo's parking lot" and enjoyed the walk in through the campus. And I could get there in 20 minutes or so.

19. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There was also that one game (in 2008?) Lima got called for a bogus handball and we gave up a PK goal. I think that took our hope to push for playoff after we had a stretch of exciting wins with Hucks, AA, Scott Sealy, ROB...etc.

Neuwerld and mjlee22 repped this.
  20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    That "Lima handball" game was in Dallas, wasn't it?

Neuwerld repped this.
  21. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Need to start taking my vitamin B12 tonight.

You may be right. I have a picture in my head that I was watching it live in a stadium for some reason. And I've never been to Dallas.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #22 falvo, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    The entire 2012 season of great comebacks. The most memorable was when I was a guest sitting the the sideline against the Seattle Sounders in August. Simon Dawkins opened the scoring in the 71st minute only to see Freddy Montero even things up in the 92nd. Seeing Lenhart win the game in the 93rd minute was simply magical. The Sounder fans who made their way down from Washington were simply stunned. I think that had to be my most memorable since the Quakes re-inception in 2008.

23. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might wanna re-read the title there..

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oh, I see. The Quakes game put me to sleep. If that is the case, I'd say each time I had to use the port a potty's.......

Beerking repped this.
  25. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned the melee featuring the LA fans who brawled with the PD and security. That was a terrible scene, at least five separate scuffles with PD going on at the same time, barrier came down, extra cops running in, LA fans in the bleachers screaming and yelling. It was awful, I hated to see all that.