YOUR STARTING 11 for WC 2006.. PLAY THE GAME

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by EL MONO MARIO, Mar 24, 2006.

1. shaf-argentina

shaf-argentina New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Auckland, NZ
    Oh calm down here, I dont think any1 is trying to say Aguero isnt any good. I thik every Argentine fan here is excited as yourself Castroman about this fresh prospect we got.But what both EVM and megamac are trying o stress here is that the report that you have referred to is indeed quite old, and the situation has changed, and Peks looks more inclined to Saviola at the moment now that he is back in form.

There is no doubt that Aguero is an immensely talented youngster, but to say Saviola hasnt acieved anything is pure stupidity. The guy didnt get a call in 2002 alongwith Romy when they both were at the top of their games. And there is no doubt he has shown to be the most effective partner with Crespo upfront, even better than Tevez I dare say. Tevez has shown his class in Bielsa's team, but alongside Crespo, I have seen only Saviola perform.
    These are pure facts, although i would personally still like to see tevez upfront.

And realistically, a quadrant attac of Romy, Messi, Tevez and Crespo is likely to start all games, and 2 out of Saviola, Milito and Aguero will be in the bench, and no matter who is chosen, it will be a very talented bench supporting a world class starting 11.

Lets not get too worried about our richness, lets focus about the man between the sticks, the main concern.

2. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    shaf, if what you're trying to say is saviola would be a better bet in goal than pato, i agree with you.

in all likelihood only one of saviola and aguero will make the squad, because i think milito will make it as cover for crespo.

we have to ask ourselves therefore, who would make the better substitute, out of the two.

for me it is aguero. he is an unknown quantity as far as opposing defences are concerned so there will be that element of surprise, he is untarnished by failure and not had his confidence dimmed, and he could just take the world by storm in way that i think is beyond saviola.

however, i fully expect saviola to make the squad because he is one of peker's kids and also, he missed out last time, inexplicably, at the expense of cannigia, so to miss out again would be harsh.

plus the fact he is playing well, at long last.

3. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Saviola missing out on the last world cup for Canniga was one of the strangest decisions ever made in football. I mean to this day I don't think anyone can explain it. In the end Canniga never played a single minute and got himself sent off sitting on the subs bench. Baffling, totally baffling. :confused: :confused:

4. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, if I had to choose, I would take both Saviola and Aguero, and leave Diego Milito. Agreed Milito is having a very good season and scored 4 goals to RM, but apart that, I feel Saviola is much more regular. And Aguero would be the additional spark that may be needed for certain matches, when we don't manage to score.

The only problem is probably on the height; why are all our best players so small?..:rolleyes:

5. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    also in the centre of defence. apart from gonzalo none of our centre-backs are particularly tall. lucky ayala jumps so well.

that's one reason why i think lucho should make the team. set pieces, both for us and against us. a lot of teams are very strong in the air, even michael owen scored two lates goals against us once ayala had been subbed.

plus the fact lucho is class, better than cuchu by a million miles.

i know they are different players but they are probably both competing for the same spot, along with aimar. that as the third midfielder alongside mascherano and romy. cuchu is the more defensive option, which, for a team boasting romy, messi, tevez and crespo might be the sensible option. however for me he doesn't do much in the national team. aimar is the ultra-offensive option, possibly too offensive considering the balance of the side.

lucho for me, though i'm always happy to see aimar play.

6. smd9

smd9 Guest

Lucho is a must on my list as well,and he should start over Cambiasso any day.

7. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    Lucho or cambiasso, i don't mind whoever starts as both of them desserves to be there and play good football.
    as far as to choose between Aguero and saviola, it is a very tough decision because if we want to play with crespo than saviola is a better option but if we want to leave Crespo out of the squad than Aguero is a better option. if messi, Tevez and Aguero plays together than there is no place for Crespo, he just won't fit in the system.

8. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well let us look at this logicaly. Fact is that Crespo will be one of the first on Pekers list as will be Tevez,,, ergo that is two front men right there and Messi will get a nod as well as all signs point to that so now there are three. These three are unproven and flat in my opinion when they run together, so one must sit or a change must occur. It has been mentiond with plenty of fact to back it up that Crespo and Saviola link well , ergo if Crespo is a firm bet so is Saviola as to keep all options open, if Crespo is the front hitman we then need another,,,,, in would come in form Milito, or a shocker call up in Cruz, Cavenaghi or such. here does this leave Aguero?? Don't get me wrong I love the kid and if there was 24 spots he is most assuredly in, but in the last two days I have come to the conclusion that taking him may just not be the logical choice:( .So forwards are more than likely to be Crespo, Messi, Tevez, Milito and Saviola leaving room to pick logical starters and subs elsewhere like Mascherano to Demichelis, Lucho to Zanetti, Sorin is a must and a sub for him???:confused: Riquelme to Aimar and Cambiasso to fill a void?? Ayala to Milito, Samuel to Burdisso?? Heinze to whom???? Sorin perhaps:( Defence is again a headache see and an area where at least six players should be picked and if Sorin drops back to a LB position would Mascherano stand alone or would Demichelis step in the line up... would Ponzio then get a spot too!!!! Will Gonzalo Rodriguez get a call and is Collicini still a shoe in?? Then of course we have the three keepers to choose from and at this point we cant even decide on the number one!!!!!!!!!!!!! So in short where does this leave Aguero... I too fought for him but logically where do we fit him in???

9. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    the fact that players like cruz, palacio and even aguero might not be going proves how strong we are in attack.

10. nasah

nasah New Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    So we all agree that saviola is good with crespo. but what is the formation gonna b like when they r in the field? is messi/crespo/riquelme coming off?

It also seems like Crespo is not very effective without Saviola. So when saviolla is sitting off, it would be much more effective if d milito/aguero is there instead of crespo. what do u guys think?:confused:

11. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Depends on who we play and I think this is Pekers plan all along. We may start with a 3-4-3 agianst the Africans and use Tevez, Crespo and Messi up front with Riquelme, then start that against Serbia or switch to a 3-5-2 with Messi withdrawn along Riquelme in the center of the pitch and have the two up front in Crespo and Saviola, and if we then switch to a 4-4-2 against the Dutch, ( I think it would be wise ) we would then sacrifice Messi and Tevez to the bench have Riquelme at exact center with feeds to both Saviola at extreme right or left front and Crespo as the center striker. Versatility I think if proprly executed will be the norm now as new formations or strategies are not in the cards anymore and stiking with one system as Beilsa did could spell an earlier than expected departure from the tourney.

12. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    Crespo is a type of striker who might not be the best but still we need him. He is always at the right place at the right time. when it comes to our formation we should not change it too much, players might get confused if we change there position in each and every game.
    we should play with Riquelme distributing to messi, Tevez and Crespo and if this don't work then Messi or Tevez should be taken off for Saviola, or Crespo should be taken off for D.Milito.( or we must take Aguero to the WC and play with Riquelme, Aguero, Messi, Tevez at the same time and leaving Crespo on the bench)

and one more thing we should play with Riquelme for the first 2 matches and if we win those 2 matches than in the third Riquelme should be rested concerning his back problem(doing this he will return fresh for quater-final) and also Aimar will get some time.

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    :D

Wise guy.

14. shaf-argentina

shaf-argentina New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Auckland, NZ
    I agree that we should change formation according to opponents.We will need a a more attacking line-up against Serbia because they are harder to break down and lesser skilled in attack compared to the other 2 opponents, so versatility unlike the 2002 squad is very important in my opinion.

15. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    I cant believe im reading this!

have you been following Spanish Liga Primera?

have you been followin Serie A?

16. mafma

mafma New Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Actually i din't saw that game but i think Coloccini understands Pekerman's style

Well, Ayala has been a great player but i don't think he is the best option at this moment, maybe if his performance improves with Valencia i would like to see him instead of Coloccini

17. Castroman

Castroman New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Guys peker said that he's now watching Aguero, Palacio, Veron, and Bilos and he'll only pick 2 out of the 4 but our main concern is our goalkeeper! he's BS!

18. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Veron? after his disappointing performance?

19. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think Peker is just talking because the day is long:rolleyes: . Can we get a link to an article or something where he aid this I would love to read it for myself?:confused: I think Aguero may have a chance and perhaps Bilos, but Veron not anymore after his terrible display last week and Palacio has not had a very good time of it lately.

20. elciclon

elciclon New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    BOEDO
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    bilos, a chance??????????? id rather take my grandmother and trust me she's not doing too well.

21. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    big, strong, defensively astute...... Serbia... big strong defensively astute, Ivory Coast,,, big and strong.... yeah Bilos deserves a look at.

22. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    of that four i think only aguero has a chance.

23. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    I'll believe it when i see the link! i need a proof

24. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    maybe so, but one must get into Pekers head... I mean he tried a huge load of wannabes before and he has stuck to Pato:eek:

25. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    actually we're a lil bit short in that department, Ustari may be doing well but you wont bring an unproven GK, Lux is a decent shot stopper, however I saw him last weekend and he was awful, I mean i understand the concerns, Pato has been down for a while but he's got the experience and no t even saja or franco is on his level!