Your EPL American of the year?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LeeS, May 17, 2004.

1. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which American showed best in the EPL in 2003-04?

2. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Howard.

He played half a season of MLS then an entire EPL season (barring his time off last month) including the champions league. His play suffered with the rest of United towards the end of the season but he has single handedly kept the team in games with some ridiculous saves.

Carlos would be my second pick... he had a good season... but that red card tackle was really bad. That takes something away from it.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    this one should be a no-brainer

4. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would think so, but Bocanegra came in and started every game he could possibly play, and did very very well. Without that red card, he would have been a lock at his position and I imagine that he'll a fixture there next season. Tim's position is still up in the air, even for the FA Cup final.

5. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm a bit biased, but Howard has a chance to win major silverware. Boca and McBride had great half-seasons, but really there isn't much competition here.

6. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    Tim's position is ONLY up in the air for the FA Cup final, and that's due to SAF really owing Roy Carroll something for always filling in adequately over the last three or four years without bitching about playing time. Tim-may's the starter come the beginning of the season.

7. Football Ronin

May 13, 2002
    Oregon, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At first glance it appears clear cut for Tim. He overall had a great first season. In the early part of the season he was sensational, he then tapered off along with the rest of ManU.

Carlos, however, also had a great first EPL season (or half season). He started pretty much every time he was eligible. He was often singled out for praise by his manager and IIRC he was once or twice named MOTM. Yes he did have that one horrible tackle but that does not erase the good he did for Fulham this year.

The other to consider is Kasey. He played every minute of every match for Tottenham for the second consecutive year. That is an impressive achievement and even if there were some lapses this season by Kasey and his defense he was still in there every minute of every match.

Overall though given the entire season and where he was playing I would give it to Tim Howard. He played in the EPL, Champions League, FA Cup, etc. and showed that he belonged on every level.

8. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch...
    I feel bad for Claudio. Ravaged by injuries yet again.
    Only time will tell if he can once again regain the form that made him arguably the greatest American soccer player ever. ("Arguably" being the key word here folks!)

Lee

9. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Wow I am a big fan of Claudio's ability, but I'd never claim he's been the best American player ... too many injuries and too little praise from abroad.

Anyway, at first glance I thought... Howard wins this easily.
    Then I thought about Boca who did very well at Fulham and helped them to their highest ever final standing.

In the end, I went for Howard.
    Too bad Keller and Friedel had subpar years for much of the season... but it happens... and this year it seemed many many keepers had trouble spots (just look at Kahns bloopers in Germany)

10. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Where's Jovan Kirovski on this list?

If Bocanegra and McBride can be here, so can JoKi.

Sachin

11. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you have voted for him? Didn't think so.

Lee

12. coingoal

coingoal New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Henry was pretty good this year. ;-)

13. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on every count-- and he's got United on the brink of some silverware, as will be proven this weekend.

14. chrizzah

chrizzah Member

Aug 8, 2000
    DC
    Kasey Keller didn't have a subpar year. His team did. In several games he was the only thing keeping his team from getting completely thrashed.

15. Shures

Shures New Member

Mar 29, 1999
    NYC area
    Um....

Are you including goalkeepers? If not, Claudia Reyna is so obviously the best American ever that it is barely worth debating. Starter at center mid in the Bundesliga (captain), Rangers, and EPL, leader of the USA's far and away best WC finish, etc.

No other American comes close. Harkes and Ramos had negligible top division careers. McBride has done well, but you'd have to give him credit for his MLS years, which don't compare to Reyna's experience. O'Brien is even more injured than Claudio. Am I missing some superstar? I don't think so.

16. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    You don't know me very well, do you?

Sachin