Your "Beckham Rule" player wishlist

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by dustcowpoke, Nov 11, 2006.

1. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy Cow !!!

Now why didn't I think of that?

The only drawback there is if you think the Dynamo had an inordinate amount of red cards this year.........

2. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Agreed. If/when DeRo leaves we will need to replace him from outside our current roster. I don't specifically mean pulling our "Beckchumps" card, since we could find a replacement from within the league. They won't be as good, but if we improve in other areas it could be an overall positive. In the end, it all depends on how much our team is gutted.

3. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should also remember that DeRo was sitting on the bench in SJ not too long ago as well.

The Dynamo should look to add a star, but also remember that there are some players (Wondo, Ianni, Holden) that may be able to really help the team if given a chance.

4. America's Sweetheart

Oct 30, 2006
    We'd have to keep him out of Houston's eight million restaurants though.

5. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX

Good point. Nothing quite like grooming your own star from the youth ranks.

6. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patrick Vieira, Edgar Davids, Robert Pires, Ryan Giggs

Pick one.

7. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Dom is going to Mexico this weekend for the FMF playoffs, What is the likely hood of him bringing back a player like C. Blanco? That would be huge and keep the stadium full every home game. !!! Gotta have someone great to replace De Rosario

8. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone asked (robzip?) DeRo last night about the Beckham rule and DeRo agreed that he should be part of the Beckham rule....:D Let him get the $5M and get a replacement for his spot. It's only fair and he likes the idea too:cool:

9. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't feel like going back and reading every response but has anyone said Roberto Carlos yet.

I don't think he's got much more time at Real Madrid and I think he's getting up there a bit in years.

Again, just a thought.

10. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    of course, I'm hoping we can get a certain vertically challenged Sardinian to come out of retirement...:)

[​IMG]

11. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah - he was on my list early on in this thread. Good choice, I think - Brazilian and with what I think is a bit less of an ego than say Figo or Beckham. I also mentioned Ronaldo (not Christiano Ronaldo of Man. U. - but the Brazilian "Ronaldo") as a possible good fit.

We probably don't need a forward like Ronaldo, though. A solid defender like Carlos, maybe.

Not sure if our team has the type of personality to be able to fit in a well-known European superstar. That remains to be seen, though. Maybe Dalglish has a superstar friend?

12. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Zola is 2nd in line. Figo is first.

:D

13. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX

Ronaldo? You mean Fataldo? There's too many donuts in this town for him. He may re-injure himself running to Shipley's. I say we pass on Fataldo.

R. Carlos could be interesting, but do you use this spot on a defender? Sure, he'll bag 10 goals in freekicks and have some assists...but I dunno. Maybe. There are definite pro's with this one.

14. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha. Yeah...Fataldo...I bet he's still faster than some of the defenders in MLS :) He looks slow now because he's playing against speedsters :)

My guess is since we'll probably have to find a replacement for De Rosario, that we'll likely spend the money to find a new a-mid. I guess they don't necessarily have to be super popular, just good. There probably aren't many really publicly recognizable names (to laypeople in this country) other than Beckham, Ronaldinho, etc.) so we should probably focus on getting a really good player vs. trying to get a marketing tool like NY or LA will likely do for Becks, Figo, etc.

15. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    You bring up a good point. While the names that laypeople will recognize are few, there are still some that would bring soccer fans who haven't given the MLS a chance. For example, Figo is no where near the public recognition in the US that Beckham has. However, he could bring in soccer fans who haven't bothered with the MLS. I think the Barcelona/America game proved how many soccer fans there are in Houston that don't bother with the MLS. I know I use Figo, cuz he rocks, but any top level star could do the same. I would say screw trying to find our own Beckham, but bring a great player and I think the support will build from there. So I think we sign someone that can last 3 more years, and unfortunately, I don't think Figo has 3 years in him.

16. tex0313

tex0313 Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  17. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunetly, not much....I never considered this....I don't know AEG well enough to know if they would shaft us like this. Thoughts?

<edit>
    One other thing I noted in these articles is that each team can apply upwards of $400K of their $2M salary towards this player, and, if I understood it right, each team might have to pay for the transfer fee, too. That would leave all but 2 or 3 teams unable to get the "best" stars and might have to take chances on possibles in cheaper leagues (S. America, anyone?). So, here is my question, does anyone know where the Dynamo's currently salary is? How close are we to the $2M mark? What kind of wiggle room do we have? I imagine that if we have the full $400K available, we could get a more proven star than, say, we only have $100K available...

Looks like MLS will hit deeper in the red these next couple of years....it might work in the long run, and lets hope it does.

20. tex0313

tex0313 Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I remember that when the salaries were released early in the year that the dynamo were towards the bottom of the list

21. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I fully believe AEG would shaft us like that, I'm not saying they will but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Team Salaries

By my rough calculations our salary was around 1.78 million. I'm not sure how the Cerritos/Dalglish switch affects that. And if Serioux is taken by Toronto that would drop it 90K.

22. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Paolo Maldini in our defense with Eddie Robinson that would be sweet.

23. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a comforting thought :(

That doesn't leave much room before we hit the cap. Do you know how the transfer fees work? The rules are vague and the links above aren't much help either

24. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    The only saving grace we have from AEG switching our Beckham to the Galaxitives is the sell value of the Dynamo franchise. If they gave LA another supa-star and the Dynamo get gutted this transfer season, there could be a big drop in the sell value. If Anschutz is running around screaming that the price of the Dynamo just went up, he could screw that up by trading that spot.

25. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    That's true, maybe since the DC deal is pretty much done they'll screw them over instead. :D

And the player I would use the slot on is DeRo, unless he leaves for Europe then I don't really care too much.