Your 5 preferred and your 5 most disliked 2018 WC national teams

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by maxsanta, Nov 16, 2017.

1. jessypjs

jessypjs Member+

May 3, 2010
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I withdrew what I said in a previous post :thumbsup:

2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Back in the late 70s/early 80s I remember one journalist, when previewing the 1986 World Cup, described Brazil as "everyone's second favorite team". ("Everyone" meaning non-Brazilians.) And it certainly felt like that. Not sure that's still the case these days, however.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  3. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember the 2014 team being disliked a lot.

4. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    B/c 1) Brazil had made a point of turning its back on jogo bonito in recent years (I'm speaking of before Tite took over in '16) and 2) people complaining about Brazil getting home cooking, e.g. the penalty against Croatia.

5. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colombia - my wife's home country
    England - Heritage
    Japan - current residence
    Costa Rica - NA underdog

Dislikes:
    Mexico - for obvious reasons even though I want them to at least make it out of the group
    Germany - last WC winner I would like someone new
    Panama - who's fake goal keep the US out (besides us just sucking)
    Brazil - wife is Colombian so I will cheer quietly but boo loudly
    Russia - because why not

I don't really dislike any of the teams and look forward to watching the games stress free since the US didn't make it.

6. Garbimba

Garbimba Member

Deportivo Cali
    Colombia
    Feb 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    2. Argentina - Messi deserves a WC
    3. Peru - Happy to see them back
    4. Mexico - Daughter and spouse are from there
    5. Costa Rica - Hoping they match last WC

Dislikes:
    1. Iran - No real talent
    2. Saudi Arabia - Awful team
    3. Egypt - Too many of their fans pretend they can beat Uruguay
    4. Morocco - They always suck despite higher expectations
    5. Tunisia - No expectation from them. Even Panama can easily beat them

7. Atlaslion18

Atlaslion18 Member

Raja Casablanca
    Morocco
    Dec 27, 2017
    #132 Atlaslion18, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2018
    When did Morocco suck. Can you elloborate? In1970 they where the first African nation to qualify and in the first match where barely beaten by Germany, after Mororcco scored the first goal. Second game they got a draw against Bulgaria.

In 1986 they where the first African nation to top a WC group and qualify for the second round. A group that consisted England, Portugal and Poland.
    In the second round they came up against Germany and wheren't eliminated until the dying minutes of the game by a long range shot.

In 1994 despite not getting any points, they played pretty entertaining and where one of the teams that created most chances in the first round. They just didn't convert them.

In 1998 they where robbed by Norway and Brazil. Brazil was already qualified , but didn't do it's supportive duty of not losing to Norway, despite being 1-0 up in the 89 minute. They lost by a last second discutable penalty and Norway went to the second round.

MOD NOTE: Baseless speculation of religious prejudice has no place here, any more than accusing someone who dislikes the five South American qualifiers (assuming his/her reasons are all football-related) of being anti-Latino. - Paul Calixte

8. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah sure, but we all thought about it... :unsure:

9. Edwardinho

Edwardinho Member

Barcelona
    France
    Feb 11, 2018
    2. Spain
    3. England
    4. Argentina
    5. Croatia

Dislikes:
    1. Germany
    2. Portugal
    3. Mexico
    4. Colombia
    5. Peru

10. EDonEnta

EDonEnta Member

Nigeria
    Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So sub-saharan African country = poor country? Jesus H.

sitruc repped this.
  11. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I define who i root for according on their GDP per capita... o_O

12. Garbimba

Garbimba Member

Deportivo Cali
    Colombia
    Feb 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not sure what was modified, but I can see how there could have been speculation over prejudice. It's not like everyone in those countries share the same religion though, but some have to pretend.

In any case back to football, Morocco only showed "good" games during the 1986 WC (even though I think they were mostly lucky). As for the 1998 I am assuming you didn't watch the game, as Norway completely ridiculed Brasil so no one was robbed. It's not nice to be sore losers. Colombia has mostly sucked too but they are my team so I support them, but I have to be realistic. Last World Cup was in South America and we had a rivals that benefited us. But we are not ready to beat giants like Germany, Brasil, Argentina, France.

My point is that African and Asian teams tend to do really bad. There is only maybe one team that tends to be the surprise, and this year the only one I see with any sort of skills is South Korea. Other than that, in my opinion, you guys will all just be spectators. I hope I'm wrong because I love surprises, but I don't see any of the teams I mentioned displaying anything good (maybe Egypt with Salah), or making it out of the group stage.

13. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Regardless of the Norway - Brazil game, I think almost everyone agrees Morocco played some great football back in 1998 and part of the reason people were so blinded as to the Norway PK (which was legit, even if harsh) was that everyone really wanted to see more of Morocco and Hadji.

Morocco had a poor 1994 World Cup, apart from that they played nicely. They were no disgrace to the continent. Which can't be said for Tunisia (save for 1978) and Cameroon 2010 / 2014.

And honestly - Colombians basking in the glory of their more illustrious South American teams really need to take a step back on the hating. One 1/8 final and one 1/4 final basically puts you on par with Ghana or Nigeria.

MarocFAN and Mani repped this.
  14. R_Raskolnikoff

VFB Stuttgart
    Germany
    Feb 9, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    2. Colombia (I've lived there for a while and my wife is Colombian)
    3. Poland (some heritage)
    4. Mexico (por los hinchas locos, my favourite fan group in Germany 2006)
    5. Argentina (always a pleasure; guess we are for you what Italy is for us;))

Dislike:
    1. Brasil (can't stand sissy Neymar)
    2. France
    3. Spain
    4. Saudi Arabia
    5. Tunisia

15. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Italy-Morocco would've been watchable.

zahzah repped this.
  16. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    is there any other player in the world who have been seen crying in so many matches at so many occasions like neymar?

17. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Perhaps this guy from North Korea but not many others.

18. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Senegal and Nigeria are poor countries compared to most of the other qualifiers, GDP wise, no?

19. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It is just entertainment, but yeah, if I have no connection to either country in a WC game, I'll usually root for the poorer one because I perceive them as underdogs.

zahzah repped this.
  20. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nigeria is Africa's biggest economy and in terms of GDP is around the 21-22 largest economy in the world (ahead of Poland, Argentina, Belgium, Colombia, Peru, etc.).

Per capita? Sure. It's in the bottom half in terms of wealth.

All in all have no idea why you should be attacked for good intentions...

Iranian Monitor, sitruc and AlbertCamus repped this.
  21. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I like Korea because that's my team.
    Then I like Mexico cus they're North America's no.1 team.
    Teams I don't like:
    USA. Their fans are delusional. They overhype their players too much. They're too wrapped around their US centric ideology that shapes the way they see world football. And many other.
    Japan. Direct rival. But I still respect the way they progressed.
    China.
    Thailand, their fans were super annoying last cycle. But I don't care as much now.

The rest of the countries I don't really care. I used to hate Italy and England but as you grow older, you start to feel more apathic to things that don't really have a lot value. Just my 2 cents.

22. EDonEnta

EDonEnta Member

Nigeria
    Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Do not want or need patronizing supporters. Having said that, I do not hate or dislike any team. I appreciate good football, wherever it comes from. Teams I have liked over the years have been Germany, Brazil and Mexico. These teams will put in 100% effort and give you a good fight, anytime, anyday.

23. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I will take all supporters, patronizing or otherwise:)

24. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    1) Brazil. Have visited many times (work) and love the country. Love Neymar, Ronaldo (the real and one and only);
    2) Argentina. Visited many times, great pizza. And Maradona. The fact that Maradona exists and is human gives me hope;
    3) Mexico. Many friends from there;
    4) Norway, all scandinavia really. Great countries, all of them;
    5) France. My mother lives there.
    Dislike:
    1) Germany. Visited many times (work). In Germany I always feel a sense of doom that is both dark and foreboding. Shitty food, i mean, the best meal I've had there was at an Italian restaurant in Frankfurt. Don't drink so I do not care about the supposed great beer. As a Canadian friend likes to say: The problem with Germany is that it has too many Germans. And also, the climate sucks;
    2) Don't really dislike anyone else.

Pipiolo and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  25. DaniChandler

DaniChandler Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Panama Canal
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Panamá - for your record guys: best country on Earth ;)

Brasil!! - My favorite team for winning the world cups since ever

Costa Rica - our brothers! They always fight in world cups and I feel well represented as a Concacaf guy

Spain! - Our mother land, I keep track of La Liga wich is my favorite league.

Colombia - our big brothers, I just like their goal celebrations hahah very funny!

Dislikes:

USA - oh, you guys didn't make it, sorry hahahah

France: they ruin my childhood back in 1998. That 3-0 against Brasil. They always manage to give Brasil troubles, please keep them away!

Germany: their gameplay is just too robotic and methodic for my taste, I like the spark, a couple of dribblings, you know... Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Bebeto style.

Argentina: for being the Brasil rivals... I love Messi and the way los argentinos support their National team... Just can't stop listening the stadium chants and soccer talks on tv... Liberman, Pollo Vignolo and all around the NT is marvelous but I want them to lose every single game.

Mexico: I just want to laugh out loud when they fail going through the 5th game... I can't wait to see their soccer talks, Faitelson, Hugo Sanchez and all the gang crying on tv as always.

Dislike Bonus:
    England: they feel like they deserve something when playing the world cup because of their premier league and stuff and I really, really enjoy when they hit the wall and return home without nothing.