Your 5 preferred and your 5 most disliked 2018 WC national teams

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by maxsanta, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Care to point out one of these mercenaries? I ask because every single player on our team was either born in Switzerland or moved there at a very young age.

Why can't you just dislike us for being "boring" like everyone else? :D

Salas033 repped this.
  2. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    The players like shakiri xhaka memedi dzemaili know their origins national teams either did not exist or are too weak. So it was a best option for them to unite under swiss flag and have the potential for good tournaments.
    If they had an option like Rakitic with Croatia i am not convinced they would do the same choice.

3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That is pure speculation. The point is every one of our players has a strong connection to the country and can therefore hardly be classified as a mercenary. They were raised there and speak one of the national languages.

This isn't some Qatar-esque naturalization scenario.

+PL+, Nico777 and themanlarry repped this.
  4. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    I agree with that...

5. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Why not. Leaving out my own team ofcourse.

Like:
    1 Denmark (Like both the country and their playing style)
    2 Sweden (Also like the country and since yellow is my favorite color I would watch them as a kid and it just stayed)
    3 Iceland (Admire what they are able to do for such a small country)
    4 Mexico (Seeing the hate they receive reminds me of my own country, plus they seem to get underrated for a quality side)
    5 Spain (We aren't suppose to like them but I say Fu*k it, might as well try to keep the success in the Iberian Peninsula)

Dislike

1 England (For many of us in countries that always get feeds from the UK, it gets so tiresome having to hear these clowns talk up Englands chances while listening to them continuously knock on countries like my own. You would think they would have adjusted to years of disappointment, but nope.)
    2 Iran (Without starting some kinda troll war here I find their supporters on these forums to be the most annoying and ignorant)
    3 Uruguay (Simply because it seems many people here still think we are in 1950 and they are some kinda power. 2010 gave them an easy path not to mention they should/could have lost to Ghana and all he sudden people flashed back 60 years. Suarez doesn't help.)

Everyone else, good luck.

Californian81, Salas033 and jagum repped this.
  6. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #56 Mani, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    I strongly dislike:
    1. Saudi Arabia (Dirty team, with corrupt dirty officials in charge of their football)
    2. South Korea (Their players tend to be arrogant on and off the field, talking too much shit, no matter how often and how badly they get humbled in Asia)
    3. France (Another extremely arrogant team)
    4. Mexico (I like ordinary Mexicans, yet their footballers and fans suffer from a sever case of inferiority complex which makes them talk and act obnoxiously)
    5. Tunasia (The most boring team that somehow manages to qualify to the World Cup too often)
    Honorable mentions, dislikes: Belgium, Switzerland, Colombia, Peru, and Uruguay

I like:
    1. Japan (Attractive football, always fair play, plus classy footballers with an even classier fan base)
    2. Australia (I used to dislike them, but I find myself cheering for them lately)
    3. Spain (Always been a fan. Beautiful football)
    4. Croatia (The class of Balkans)
    5. Brazil (My favourite team growing up)
    Honorable mentions, likes : Portgual, Serbia, Russia, Egypt, and Sweden

Nico777 repped this.
  7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Who?

sitruc repped this.
  8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Like (more like don't mind or at least appreciate their play):

1. Brazil - no comment needed
    2. Peru - they played a decent style in WCQ, first time appearance since 82
    3. Japan - appreciate that they always plays a good style, just can't keep up pace for 90 mins
    4. Belgium - have some quality technical players
    5. France - I shouldn't like them, but they have they have some good new talent

Dislike (don't want to seem them win or don't like their play)

1. Germany - just wouldn't like to see them win back to back and get the 5th star
    2. England - specifically if they play like they played the recent friendlies (bunker)
    3. Switzerland - almost always plays bunker ball
    4. Argentina - don't particularly dislike them, but a rivalry is a rivalry
    5. Iceland - didn't enjoy their games in Euros even if they are underdogs. I don't mind underdogs, but they can't only basically defend and pray.

9. angelsfan

angelsfan Member+

Jun 4, 2008
    So Cal
    Iranian fans just salty at Mexico lol

AMLO2018, Californian81, jagum and 2 others repped this.
  10. Yacine9

Yacine9 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Algiers
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    Most liked:
    1. Nigeria: They have a good team right now and I think they'll be the best representative of Africa next WC (unless they get a really tough group).
    2. Germany: Bayern is my favorite club so I'd like them to do well by extension.
    3. Japan: I like their play style, Vahid and the country in general.
    4. Egypt: Was happy they qualified after missing out so many times (including vs us in 2010).
    5. Senegal: Another African team I'd like to do well next summer.

Honorable mentions: Iran, Iceland & Brazil.

Most disliked:
    1. Spain: I don't know why but I really can't stand their team.
    2. Uruguay: I dislike Suarez and I always think of them as a rugged, dirty team. I might be wrong but this is personal preference.
    3. Tunisia: This isn't out of rivalry (as Egypt and Morocco are much bigger rivals) but ask most African fans and you'll rarely hear positive words about their team.
    4. Russia: Mostly because of their fans and overt racism.
    5. France: Ehh, I have to round up my top 5. Sorry les bleus.

(dis)honorable mentions: Argentina, Serbia & Switzerland (I don't dislike them... I just find them... bland).

Zandi360 and Mani repped this.
  11. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    I notice you don't mention Morroco but all other African teams. What is your assessment of them? I'm intrigued by how they go as they have a few interesting players. Also so excited for the draw next Friday :)

Yacine9 repped this.
  12. Yacine9

Yacine9 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Algiers
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    They're our biggest rivals and for that purpose I don't really want them to do too good but I don't mind them. Renard has done a terrific job with the team so far. They're a sturdy side who won't concede much and can play some exciting football. If they get a good draw I can see them sneaking into the round of 16.

Honestly, Tunisia is the only African side I don't have any hope for next summer.

themanlarry repped this.
  13. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    I believe they will have changed their name to Austonia by the time the finals come around.

J

14. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #64 Rickdog, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    With that concept in mind, I guess I like them all.
    I'm not particularly "picky" when it gets to that......
    :p
    Seriously and football speaking, (may be kind of confusing, but...)

The only team I like, didn't make it to the WC.

And the team I don't like the most, also didn't make it to the WC, which also happens to be the same team as above, and that is basicly for not being capable in making it through, when they had everything at their reach to do so.

For everyone else, good luck to all

Nico777 repped this.
  15. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    I am picky cause i can be :p

haha but i agree with you!

Though i think and know that there are countries where you see much more beautiful or attractive sexy women in the same m2 than others : )
    Ex Yugoslavia and Colombia particularly ;)

But of course when you like beauty from everywhere exotism cities like London New York etc are amaizing ;)

I met my peruvian girlfriend in Paris i would have probably never met her if i was born in ex yugoslavia and lived there all my life..

16. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Liked:

Argentina - my team
    Peru - loved the passion they show for their NT after qualifying for the first time in a long time
    Serbia - great sport mentality and passion
    Egypt - same as Peru
    Nigeria - always liked their style

Dislike:

Brazil - duh
    England - duh
    Portugal - they won 1 euro in all their history and their fans suddenly think they are the biggest football nation ever. Also Cristiano.
    Spain - extremely arrongant when they win + their press is unbeareble.
    Switzerland - nothing against them as a country, just don't like their team. Would rather see Italy here than them.

Christina99 and themanlarry repped this.
  17. Young Zmaj

Young Zmaj Member

Juventus
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 7, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Preferred:

1) Germany
    2) Portugal
    3) Egypt
    4) Senegal
    5) South Korea

Dislike:

Don’t really hate any teams!

18. laurasoccerfreak

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    Nov 24, 2017
    Well ... my options have nothing to do to soccer, since I think the World Cup goes beyond soccer.

So my likes:
    1. Brazil :rolleyes:
    2. Colombia (absolutely the most admirable fans in 2014!), Peru, Uruguay, Argentina
    3. Portugal
    4. CONCACAF teams (because the US is out ... yeah!) and CAF teams (mother Africa all the way ...)
    5. Small or passionate nations in UEFA (Serbia, Croatia, Poland, Iceland ...)

My dislikes:

1. Russia (Putin etc)
    2. Saudi Arabia (no comments)

It's called FOOTBALL and Nico777 repped this.
  19. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Indeed we got passion ^^
    The nickname of Croatian team is vatreni whichmeans "fires" : )

And serbian is orlovi "eagles" but they got fire in them too ^^

20. laurasoccerfreak

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    Nov 24, 2017
    Actually I never overcame Yugoslavia split myself. :( Imagine I could even sing the Yugoslavian national anthem ("Hej Slaveni, jos ste zivi rijec nasih djedova ...").
    But ok, this is the way it is now. Hope both have a good World Cup.
    No idea which is stronger now. They could end up in the same group ... this would be one of the most important clashes of the tournament!

Nico777 repped this.
  21. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    How come? :)))
    People from one side will always blame the other sides for what happened there or there at different times but i personally think that the ones that had the biggest interest in Yugoslavia breaking were not from there...to me the people that ruined it made it in purpose and have been complices with some others from much bigger influence...

Being located between western europe eastern europe and middle east has always been complicated.

I am proud of both origins i think croatia got more talent in some sport and serbia more in some others.
    When it comes to football i see Croatia stronger and more talented at the moment but it is not always the best teams that go further : )
    Though i tend to believe Croatia might have a run in this one ;)

22. Salas033

Salas033 Member

Juventus
    Dec 15, 2017
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Morocco
    #72 Salas033, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    The 1986 Moroccan team was all born in Morocco and they topped their World Cup group that year ahead of Portugal, England, and Poland, something that your team has never come close to achieving.

It's not our fault that Morocco is a few miles away from Europe and players like Ziyech, Benatia, and Sofian Amrabat were born in other countries but still have strong ties with Morocco. Those three players, for instance, could have played for the first teams of the Netherlands and France but chose to play for less famous Morocco. To me that is a beautiful testimony to their love for that land, and not something to be taken for granted. Should the Moroccan federation reject them and force them to play for European teams just to appease your internal frustration? LOL. I lived most of my life in the U.S. and I can tell you that if I was a soccer player I would pick Morocco over the U.S. in a heartbeat. I guess that we just have a stronger attachment to our roots than you do...

I will come here to poke you again when we have fun with your "native" team in June 2018.

23. Salas033

Salas033 Member

Juventus
    Dec 15, 2017
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Morocco
    This section of the forum is just too cringeworthy... Serbia is not "a small nation with no big players"... They have great players in Manchester United, As Roma, Liverpool, Lazio, Benfica, Napoli etc.. https://www.transfermarkt.com/serbien/startseite/verein/3438
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbia_national_football_team

Nice to see someone else from Bmore tho. Go Ravens!

themanlarry repped this.
  24. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Like:
    1) Brazil
    2) All other SA teams (Even Argentina - they had our back during the WC and the Olympics, they came in force)
    3) Japan (great fans at 2014)
    4) Spain (I like how they play the game)
    5) Iceland (have to love their story)

Dislikes
    No one, but I don't want to see Germany getting another one nor Russia winning it and Putin basking in the WC glory

25. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    you got pretty agitated dude, over a simple factual observation that i simply stated, which implies that you are highly insecure about your team. i wont stoop to your level, but i would mention that it is strange of you to be so cocky when most of the bookies rate Irans chances higher than moroccos.