Youngsters in MLS (1997 or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Mario Balotelli, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Redding has had a rough one to say the least

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We saw for a few years in MLS that Redding was pretty decent. He wasn't as good as EPB or Glad when he played, but he did an okay job. He also did a good job in U-20 WCQ, much better than some regulars in MLS.

I don't believe he's all of a sudden regressed. Lets see how Marsch deals with this. I know everyone wants to give him a lot of credit for his use of youngsters (Mines has only played once, Adams is a NT player), but it'll be pretty impressive to take a good young CB (who could hold his own in MLS) and turn him into a bad MLS CB.

3. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing him next to 2018 Collin is a good way to start. Marsch has also gotten a lot out of other academy players Ettiene Jr, Duncan, Muyl, Davis, Long. I know these players aren't all 'young' but they were developed by RB. So I would say if there is something to get out of Redding, Marsch is probably the coach to make it happen.

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Redding has always been middling. People here overrated him. He is what I thought he was ... a borderline player who MIGHT end up being a long-time starter in MLS, at best, or a backup CB in MLS or USL player alternatively.

derek750 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I just don't like how this is being characterized, as if Redding has to be developed by Marsch. He was doing good enough with Orlando. Not great, but considering his age, he wasn't doing much worse than someone like Lennon was doing at his position.

And I agree that playing next to Collin doesn't help matters, as he's not an MLS player anymore, but Redding has been at fault for 1, maybe 2 goals, so its not all about Collin's play. Will Marsch continue to give Redding minutes or bury a player who's proven to be a decent enough MLS'er in the reserves because of one bad game after he hadn't given him minutes all season?

6. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which starting CB is he already better than? I think if he's the first backup (ahead of Collin) to Murillo,Long and Parker he'll get enough minutes throughout the season to prove himself worthy of more (or not). I'm not writing him off but I don't think it's fair to criticize Marsch for not starting Redding over those guys unilaterally. Let him adjust to the RB system in USL and play him as needed in a backup role. And who knows, maybe Marsch considers him a future starter and is easing him in. Time will tell.

7. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From all accounts, Redding's been hot garbage in preseason, practice, and with the reserves. I don't know what's going on with him this year but it's not just 'one bad outing in MLS.'

Fans who have been watching the team all year don't want him near the MLS side and they're barely willing to tolerate him on RB2 he's looked so bad.
    Hopefully, Tommy will turn it around at some point.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I didn't say he was. Long and Parker are better players, although they use 3 in the back at times, so there's room for 3 some games, and Parker was acquired after the season had already started. Redding was behind all their CB's before Parker was acquired. Doesn't seem a very rational process when you are giving Collin (who has been a dreadful MLS'er when not paired with the league's best defender the last 10 years) minutes over Redding.

And I'm not saying that the depth chart a month into the season should be considered more important than what happens throughout the season, but I find the characterization of Redding's situation (that he's a mediocre player that needs a lot of development) to be very odd. Its like his whole career in the league has been forgotten because he's out of favor for a few months with Marsch.

MuchoTakeItEasy repped this.
  9. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I personally think Redding lost his confidence after the poor u20 WC

10. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Farfan starts for Portland

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    MLS website says at RB.

12. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's gotta be wrong. It would make no sense to play Farfan at RB and Valentin at LB.

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes, you have a really hard time absorbing new information that contradicts your existing opinions.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Or maybe the new information is faulty.

You are writing him off based on two months where he's played 1 match. It seems beyond silly.

15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody is writing him off.

People are saying that he's not ready to compete in MLS at this moment in time because of:

1) One MLS match in which he performed poorly. Not definitive proof, but when viewed along with:
    2) Poor reviews during preseason
    3) Marsch had given every youngster on the roster chances except Redding until now

...one might reasonably conclude that Redding is in poor form and needs time with NYRB II.

Redding has been an inconsistent player throughout his career. It doesn't seem like a stretch to imagine that he's in a trough at the moment.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You are grossly exaggerating what I said about Redding.

As for Marsch, I fail to see what he's done so great with the players who are eligible for this thread. Should he get credit for playing Adams? That should be a given. Adams is one of his best players, he would be dumb not to play him. Mines has played one game, a game in which he scored. He played better in that game than some players in attacking positions who are getting consistent minutes, hasn't found his way back onto the field with the first team. Redding hadn't played until today either. So are we really saying that Marsch is this "youth playing time guru" because he's given Kyle Duncan a few games?

I'm not criticizing his job as coach, his team has had success, but I don't see him giving so many chances to young players that other coaches wouldn't, unless it was Pareja or Martino. In that case, Adams might still struggle to get onto the field.

17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? I think not.

Adams is a no-brainer now, but let's remember that he has improved by leaps and bounds over the last 12 months, during which time he was managed by Jesse Marsch.

The point isn't that Duncan and Mines are signs of Marsch's genius (too soon to have a verdict on that), but that Marsch is giving chances to nearly everybody. That he was hesitant to give chances to Redding says something and that Redding performed notably worse than Duncan and Mines in his chance are what's pertinent to the discussion here.

Maybe Redding will bounce back and be great, but the contextual evidence (preseason reviews, poor MLS showing, etc) suggests that he needs USL time for the moment.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    My point on Redding has been that he isn't all of a sudden bad, and in need of being repaired by "youth guru" Marsch. Maybe its taking him some time to get up to speed this season with an injury in preseason and a new system, but to conclude there's anything demonstrably wrong with his game is silly, IMO. He's not great, but I don't believe he's regressed from the last few years where he could hold his own in this league.

I give Marsch credit for playing Adams last season when he wasn't playing that well. Credit to him for that, but besides that, there's not much else. Kyle Duncan has played some games, but that in itself is not enough for me to crown him as this champion of using young Americans. And I'm not saying you are saying that, but I've seen this type of thing thrown about, and I don't see it, especially considering the other two young Americans on the team are each at 1 match played through 5 this season.

I really don't care if he's developed Etienne, Valot, Bezecourt, Muyl, Long. These players are almost all mid 20's players, and the only one who is likely to have any chance at helping the USMNT at all is Long, but even that might not happen due to our CB depth, so these examples that people cite don't mean that much towards my rooting interests.

19. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see your point about these players. And while they might not be examples of players in this thread getting developed directly, it has contributed to RBNY's success so far this season and supports the notion that Marsch is able to get the most out of (in the case of some of these players) mediocre talent. Not saying that Redding is mediocre, BUT I would hope that Marsch finds a way for him to consistently perform at above the level he showed in ORL. I imagine he'll get a fair shake when healthy and adjusted to the RB system especially with the back three formation Marsch likes to use. With that said, I hope Redding gets all of Collin's minutes from here on out.

20. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Durkin starts against SKC. Will be interesting to see how he handles the press.

Winoman and punintended_13 repped this.
  21. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Redding wasn't good with Orlando last season either. He's not reading the game well.

He's got good size, athleticism, and seems solid technically, but he has not progressed tactically.

Tom Collingsworth and Bob Morocco repped this.
  22. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Farfan subs off with injury in the 82'

23. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real and Trusty start for Philly. Lindsey on the bench for SKC.

Anderson11 repped this.
  24. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sands on the bench for NYC. Yuelle on the bench for SJ. Vazquez back on the bench for ATL. Fontana and McKenzie on the bench for Philly.

USAMEX10, Anderson11 and punintended_13 repped this.
  25. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States