Youngsters in MLS (1997 or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Mario Balotelli, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gorky, deejay and TheFalseNine repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    NYRB and FCD academies had a nice night against Portugal!!! :)

TheFalseNine, Real Corona and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle and DC's as well.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Except NYRB and FCD both had 3 alumni on the roster, and 2 players I thought had really nice games (Miazga/Adams and McKennie/Acosta).

5. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker, ussoccer97531 and bballshawn repped this.
  6. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This is great news, now let's hope Carleton stays away from it.

TheFalseNine and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The press release is just saying that Kunga, Bello, and Okonkwo have MLS contracts that don't kick in until 1/1/18 and they'll join a group of players on the MLS roster that contains 12 guys who have played in the USL in some capacity.

I don't think the statement has anything to do with plans for Carleton and Goslin in 2018.

8. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeez, bad news for the Orlando City GK. Hoping for a full recovery:

TxEx, Winoman and Tactical Hipster repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Mahtzo1 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know how long Generation Adidas contracts are?

11. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    4 or 5 years usually. Cyle Larin for example had signed a 5 year contract.

12. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caleb Porter out at Portland. Crossing my fingers for some more minutes for Farfan.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    And Ebobisse

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And possibly using their Academy.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    For those of you who care about this (and I realize I'm presuming much by assuming any of you do) I updated my Hack Parity Spreadsheet (spreadsheets!) with the final 2017 standings. (MLS put the Galaxy last in the Shield rankings.)

Toronto, it turns out, was one of the most-dominant first-place teams in league history in terms of the proportion of available points they took -- tied for second all-time, actually. (I figure 1998 LAG will be hard to top.)

They were so good, in fact, that it didn't matter that LA wasn't historically bad by this measure: The 36-point spread between "% of available points taken" for TOR and LAG was only fifth-widest all time, and in line with the league's historical average.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sn-t6FExw6rCrJSyKirzebUL-49zxdTrUI7HT2MvR6o/edit?usp=sharing

Winoman repped this.
  16. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting twitter thread about the LAG academy since they will be releasing a lot of HG players:

They really haven't done a good job developing the talent that is there in Los Angeles. Players like the Villarreal brothers, McBean, Mendiola, etc all showed glimpses of potential to at least being serviceable MLS players (especially Jose Villarreal), but none of them have developed much at all. Doesn't seem like much is going to change. That is really the next step for all these MLS teams in general, most of them are signing HG players. But can we say any have really developed their talent at all? I don't really think so.

Namdynamo and Peter Bonetti repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Lest we forget, most drafted players (outside of say the top half of the first round) don't stick around very long in MLS. There's a very high failure rate, and we shouldn't be surprised to see the same amongst homegrown players.

I just question whether players like McBean, Villarreal, Sorto, and company were really ever MLS quality. Or like FCD did they really, really want to get their homegrown initiative started & so signed some kids that really weren't great prospects. They advertised them like they were because they wanted to hype up their academy so the next generation of kids joined. Villarreal looked like Danny Garcia who looked like Bryan Leyva who looked like so many others. They looked like guys with ceilings of MLS rotation or bench players. Which is fine, but most clubs do a big clear out of these types of players every year. The shelf life for those players is very limited. There's little to no MLS "middle class." McBean has had how many years to show he's capable of playing at an MLS level?

It should be noted that most of the FCD players that were cut went to the USL or NASL.........................and didn't hack it there either. Most are out of the sport.

18. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    The biggest strike against LA isn't the number of misses, so much as the lack of hits. A lot of Dallas HGPs haven't worked out, but they've also produced Acosta, Gonzalez, Ulloa, Pomykal, etc, who have all been helpful for the first team.

Ryan's point is dead-on. They're sitting on a massive talent pool, and in 10 years they've basically just produced Zardes. Even he needed 4 years in college to turn into anything. That's 1 decent MLS player in 10 years.

19. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's pile on:
    • Zardes only played one season in the academy
    • LA U18 played him at center back

Sandon Mibut, Gorky, sakibomb523 and 3 others repped this.
  20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

21. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    It's only been in the last three years that the LAG has raised their DA to somewhat professional standards (approximating the arrival of Brian Kleiban), so it's somewhat understandable that they haven't produced much for the 1st team until now. Starting with the 00s, the talent level looks to be upgraded, and so from this point forward the expectations should be a lot higher. It will take another 2-3 years to see how many, if any, of the current LAG DA players can reach the 1st team (and contribute).

As an aside, though all the previously named players were let go, one who is still there is Bradford Jamieson IV. He started to show signs of soccer life this past season, and I hope he's finally past the concussions which had slowed his progress. I don't project him as anything earth shaking, but still, if he can contribute then he has to be considered somewhat of a success.

ielag, Tactical Hipster and Starman* repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not sure his point about the current set-up is correct, although past results is certainly fair.

I think they have a number of players with first team potential, Lopez, Lonergan, Arteaga, Bailey, Hernandez, Mendez, Sepulveda, Llanez, Castillo, Alvarez, Molina, Cano, Ceja, Killeen, Isidoro, Castro, Roca, its one of the more talented academies within MLS.

ielag repped this.
  23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It's really amazing - and a damning indictment - that the Galaxy academy hasn't yielded more to this point.

24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas declined Coy Craft's option, but they said they're negotiating to re-sign him.

Other YNT-eligibles who might be in trouble:

Fernandez (CHI)
    Lucatero (HOU)
    Obinwa (CLB)
    Swanson (CLB)

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #4250 Clint Eastwood, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    We can say that about almost all of the academies in the league.................most of whom have only one or two success stories. As was noted, at the last USMNT game there were three FCD products (Gonzalez, Acosta, McKennie), three NYRB products (Miazga, Adams, Agudelo), one DCU product (Hamid), and one Seattle product (Yedlin). There aren't USMNT candidates from most of the academies in the league.

LA Galaxy is the most damning case because of the supposed youth soccer goldmine that they're sitting on. We have expectations for the Galaxy academy that are different than those for Portland and Columbus.

Who didn't see this coming, though? For the last several years the Galaxy have loaded up on aging veterans in the off-season. It was always about short-term solution after short-term solution after short-term solution. Maybe that's because Arena saw where he was in his career and wasn't interested in a long-term development project. When you look at the current state of their roster after the purge, its completely unbalanced.

One thing to note from their purge is they dismissed all three goalkeepers. Now I know they're going to sign somebody (Chris Seitz is available, for instance)...................but that's gotta mean USYNTer Eric Lopez moves into the first team. No?

Bob Morocco repped this.