Youngsters in MLS (1997 or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Mario Balotelli, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #4201 ussoccer97531, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Cappis and Richards. I think Richards joining FCD is more understandable, get another year at a better club, and then go play college soccer, if you don't get a deal somewhere (with FCD or abroad), but what motivation does Cappis have to play this season in the DA? He mastered it last season, I'm pretty sure he's finished high school, so it would be for soccer reasons. Maybe he was told that they want to sign him, so he plays half a season for them in the DA, and then signs in the offseason. I'd be surprised if he doesn't sign with them this offseason. Richards might be more likely to go play college soccer, but I also think he might be another one who could sign with them soon.

One thing to consider here is what happens with Acosta and Gruezo. If one or both of them go in the offseason, they'll need more than just Jacori Hayes (who I don't think anyone believes is all that good).

Just my take, but if there's an internal option at FCD who is going to get promoted at CM, its likely Servania, but maybe they don't go that route.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Just to update on the numbers, it was 6 two offseason ago, 9 last offseason, so if the trend continues, it would be 12 this offseason, hopefully more than that.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The vibes we're getting out of FCD's own media is that we should expect significant turnover this off-season. Its hard to say what's going to happen. They are also continuing to promote Dan Hunt's comments about focusing on youth. They retweeted that interview again yesterday for some reason.

What we should actually want is for Pomykol to start taking the minutes of Jacori Hayes and those that Morales got in the 2nd half of the season. Its still unclear what position Pax is gonna play in the long run, but he's not starting as the #10 over Diaz. So if its in central midfield, so be it. He's kind of a little bowling ball of a player. He's not afraid of a tackle..............................

All I know is that the "****" is already hitting the fan. Instead of allowing the players to start their off-season, FCD is in the midst of some harsh post-season training sessions for several weeks. None of the players on expiring contracts were invited.

There are going to be a lot of roster slots available if they want to sign homegrowns. I'm just not sure its the right move for some of the youngsters based on the lack of a USLPro team. Padilla is probably exhibit A even though he's arguably the most talented player on the U19 academy team. I'm fine with him going to Maryland for a semester. But there could be roster slots available for CMs (Servania, Cappis) or defenders (Terwege, etc.)

For some reason FCD media also started reported on the draft yesterday and mentioned that they club would like to trade up to the top 5 in order to get an "MLS ready" player.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can Dan Hunt say what he said about youth being so important and not have a USL team? I just feel it's all talk until they do that. They could sign a bunch of players if they do that but they don't seem to trust their affiliate team so the young players just practice only. Is anyone holding his feet to the fire over the obviousness of this in lieu of his comments?

5. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    FCD will definitely be the most interesting team to follow this off-season from a young talent standpoint. Lots of potential transfers overseas. Lots of potential moves with other players on the roster.

The only sure starters back seem to be Gonzalez, Hedges and Diaz.

TCS35 repped this.
  6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The sense I had was that Sean really wanted to go to Atlanta and Chicago wasn't going to stand in his way. But then Guzan became free and a feel good story was nipped at the bud.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Because big brother Clark holds the checkbook.....................................

And the expenditure for the Stadium Renovation/Hall of Fame is significant.

8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been harping about the FCD USL team for ages, but it occurs to me that the USL's move to D2 and the current D2 sanctioning affair might make things more complicated. I doubt FCD would be interested in maintaining a USL team to D2 standards and I question whether the USL wants to add some MLS2 teams that need D2 waivers to their D2 league right now. No need to unnecessarily weaken what is now their sole claim to D2 status.

There's been speculation that some existing MLS2 teams will choose to go to D3 (or be forced down) when it launches, but I wonder if new MLS2 teams might jump on board if D3 offers lower costs.

9. Way2late

Way2late New Member

Sep 13, 2016
    He was on radio last weekend hinting that USL team would be ready for 2019.

Considering that signing of young players: Pomykal, Ferreira, Reynolds and Cannon were made shortly after McKinnie's signing with Schalke, then doesn't it seem like an overreaction by FCD to keep these players rather than confidence that they were ready for first team action? Granted Cannon and Pomykal should have gotten more minutes during the season, but Ferreira and Reynolds (due to U17 call-ups) were not ready. Maybe Pomykal gets sold to a European team when he turns 18. And did Avilez not work out with OKC? I thought he was supposed to train and play there.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Something went sour with the OKC affiliation, because none of FCD's players were going there. We loaned out guys like Hume, Guillen, Hayes, etc. to other USLPro clubs during the season. Avilez seemed to have been training with the FCD first team, but playing games with the FCD U19 academy team.

As far as the other guys go, Ferreira and Reynolds got plenty of playing time with FCD U19 team (and in Reynolds case with the US U17s/Bradenton). Prior to the season we had predicted that neither would get much playing time. I had predicted 10 appearances for Pomykol across all competitions, and he made 5 appearances. I had predicted more for Cannon and Coy Craft. Its unclear to me what Coy's future is.........................

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the fact that FCD plays their affiliates in US Open Cup games causes hurt feelings? Did the coach of Tulsa think FCD did him dirty in the game or vice versa? Maybe Open Cup should try not to schedule parent clubs and their affiliates?

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he still dating Clark Hunt's daughter?

It's gonna get a little awkward when he's cut this winter.

Real Corona repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #4214 Clint Eastwood, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    I don't know, but he's probably made some money off of the Express commercial and advertising. Its funny, this commercial was in heavy rotation and it seemed nobody realized it was all FCD homegrowns! When I first saw it I jumped off the couch! It was as if Express was just advertising to me!!!!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Mahtzo1, TarHeels17 and TCS35 repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #4215 Clint Eastwood, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    As if the soccer gods heard my plea and sent support for my Ben Hale suggestion.............

Another former FCD academy player that's having a strong season, but a little off the radar is former USYNTer Jordan Cano. SMU is having a really good season so far with quite a number of FCD academy alums (#12 in the nation at the moment). Probably not thread eligible, though.

16. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    The problem with the affiliate deals are the USL spends the off season building a club to compete in USL, practices together and then at some random time the MLS program is like here have this RW, but the USL team went out and signed a good RW in the off-season who will for sure be there all year while the MLS team might be like here let me have that RW back at any time.

Any effective loan needs to work like any loan in other countries where you try to find the right fit in-terms of a club with a need at that position and you loan the player their for either a half or a full season.

You can still do a shorter-term loan, but you need to find a fit that works. Sometimes you can find those opportunities, but sometimes not. Just foisting players on a club because you have an affiliate deal is likely not going to work.

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  17. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    The DC and Richmond relationship has probably been the most effective affiliation since this partnership started. It even helped allow DC sign Durkin to a HG contract.

NE and Rochester? Non existent.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NE was among the initial four MLS clubs to jump on the USL affiliation train in the first year of the MLS/USL deal back in 2013. This is not because they are progressive in any way, it just got them out of having to field a team in the last season of the MLS Reserve League.

They've only ever sent low-round pick, back-of-the-roster types to Rochester and almost everybody ever sent on loan has been cut after the season. This year, I don't think they even talk to Rochester any more. Matt Turner spent some time on loan at Rochester. Zach Herivaux had a pointlessly short loan in San Antonio.

Classic Revs. Checking the box of "USL affiliate" to fulfill MLSHQ requirements, and move on.

ielag repped this.
  19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You know every time I think the Rapids are the worst club in MLS, New England says "hold my beer."

GiallorossiYank and TheFalseNine repped this.
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  21. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
  22. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    With Portland's loss, looks like we're out of thread-eligible players in the playoffs.

I guess you could still count Christian Lucatero, but he has no chance of appearing for Houston.

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS age curves:

[​IMG]

Here's one for an EPL season:

[​IMG]

Gorky, kingshark, C-Rob and 1 other person repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, for all of our hand-wringing about Atlanta.....................they gave the most minutes in the league to players 24 years old and younger. They just weren't American for the most part!

So at least we've got the starting point that Tata is willing to use young players. He clearly just felt that the American kids for the most part weren't ready. When they are, I think he'll use them. Let's hope that its next season.

25. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    A lot of Tata's methods are also business related. He is flipping young players like there's no tomorrow. Considering the state of the Argentinian league it does not surprise me at all. Now that HGPs will likely provide 100% of their transfer fee I think that he will feel lots of incentive to play those guys.