Young Yanks at Bayern Munich (a.k.a. Bayern 'Murica)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 17, 2018.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 TheFalseNine, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    First off, hat tip to @TarHeels17 for the name. :D

I wanted to create a thread to keep tabs on all our young players playing/training/trialing at Bayern. By my count we currently have 7:

* Taylor Booth ('01, still waiting on passport I believe)
    * Cameron Duke ('01, training)
    * Uly Llanez ('01, training)
    * Chris Richards ('00, loaned from FC Dallas)
    * Thomas Roberts ('01, rumor/innuendo that he may be at the club soon)
    * Justin Butler ('01, signed)
    * Malik Tillman ('02, signed)
    * Sebastian Burke ('03, signed)
    * Grayson Dettoni ('05, signed)

This doesn't include Malik's brother Timothy, who is also a Bayern player but has been loaned to Nurnberg for the upcoming season. I feel like I'm missing somebody too.

EDIT: To include Burke and Dettoni. Thanks @ChuckMe92.

Gacm32, UniversalAdvice, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  2. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. DanielS1085

DanielS1085 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 8, 2017
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I'm old enough to remember when these threads were about Hertha Berlin, Tijuana and Bodens BK. Uphill both ways in the snow!

taylor, PalmettoSpur, Gacm32 and 7 others repped this.
  5. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, the Tijuanamerica thread isn't very old!!!

6. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No announcement today of a young Yank going to Bayern. I feel cheated.

7. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :cautious:

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Things age fast around here, in case you haven't noticed. I'm living proof...

Winoman repped this.
  9. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1019744072066654209 is not a valid tweet id

10. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    American teenagers Cameron Duke (Sporting Kansas City) and Ulysses Llanez (LA Galaxy) will both have trials with Bayern Munich next week, according to Bild.

So it’s more than just training for those two guys. That seems pretty significant.

11. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A guy I follow on Twitter (@usmntonly, his name is Arthur Kogan) just started a podcast and his first episode is an interview with Chris Richards. I listened to it this morning. Worth checking out.

https://anchor.fm/usmnt-only

Eighteen Alpha, Winoman and USSoccerNova repped this.
  12. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn’t that like, 3 years ago?

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I guess you're also old enough to remember.

KUSA77, frankburgers, gunnerfan7 and 6 others repped this.
  14. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet another one:

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is insane. Are there more yanks currently trialling at Bayern than currently there are trialling across all of MLS?

It's like Bayern execs woke up on June 20th and were like

'MERICA, F YEAH

16. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe there are 3 currently: Duke, Llanez, and now Cappis.

17. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Cappis is another FCD guy. I'm sure they were well aware of him and I wouldn't be surprised if he signs with Dallas and then transfers elsewhere. Just like @Clint Eastwood has surmised that Richards is going to BM before ever playing a minute at FCD and that's ok as long as FCD gets some money for them.

FCD has like seven central midfielders on the team or good enough to sign. They can't all stay and it appears that FCD is facilitating these training stints so that kids can move on if they want to. That's a fantastic thing for FCD and these players.

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article on Bayern's US efforts:

https://ussoccerplayers.com/2018/07/bayern-munichs-north-american-plans.html

Bayern’s approach of bringing multiple American players and potentially placing them into the academy system together makes sense. It's a hedge against teenagers far from home failing because of an inability to adapt to an intense foreign environment.

American soccer history is rich with stories of players who earned the chance to develop at a club in Europe only to suffer debilitating homesickness and a lack of emotional support. Pulisic famously dodged that problem because his parents made the move with him. For American players whose parents can’t make the same life change, a fellow American or two sharing the experience can go a long way towards keeping players happy and engaged.

Where Bayern leads, other clubs are sure to follow. Dortmund and Schalke deserve credit for being open to American talent. Bonus points for Dortmund because of the club’s role in developing Pulisic to “Real Madrid has interest” levels. Bayern's involvement takes this to the next level.

Whether Bayern’s interest in American and Canadian players continues unabated depends on the success of the players they’ve brought in. Not all of them have to reach the first team or become star. It's a numbers game, something Bayern is keenly aware of as it begins a campaign that can only be long-term in scope. One player reaching the first team, or one player generating enough interest to deliver a profit is more than enough.

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now we see that BM's plan was to load up on North American players to make Alphonso Davies' arrival go much smoother:

PalmettoSpur and Winoman repped this.
  20. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if a Cascadian Canadian is necessarily culturally synonymous with Texans. Though they're more similar than Germans and Canadians.

21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he's from Edmonton. That's an oil town so he should get along with Texans.

22. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, could be. Just remarking, because people seem to think that just because Canada and the US are similar in many ways, there are often some regional differences that can sometimes be quite large.

I'd similarly expect a rural Georgian to be different from a born-and-bred New Yorker, or someone from Saskatchewan to not be a copy of someone from Toronto.

It's whatever.

23. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Dallas players Edwin Cerrillo, Thomas Roberts (thread), Bryan Reynolds, Ricardo Pepi, and David Rodriguez (contracted with North Texas FC) were/are at Bayern Munich for a two week training stint with Bayern Munich II/Bayern Munich U-19s.

Reynolds started an international break friendly with Bayern Munich II against the FC Augsburg first team. Cerrillo and Roberts came off the bench.

Aufstellung FCB-Amateure: Hoffmann – Reynolds (62. Waidner), Feldhahn (46. Niedermeier), Senkbeil (80. Rieg), Köhn – Franzke (75. T. Tillman), Will (62. Carrillo), Zaiser (62. Roberts), Rochelt – Kern (75. M. Tillman), Nollenberger (62. Johannson)

Tore: 0:1 Schieber (28./Foulelfmeter), 0:2 Pedersen (31.), 0:3/0:4 Sarenren Badzee (34./38.), 1:4 Köhn (61.)

H/T @BostonRed

24. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Haven't been on here in a while, but coming back around to say that I've been told by two people in the last 24 hours that Thomas Roberts is more than likely going to be staying in Munich and signing with Bayern Munich.

Someone on the coaching staff in Dallas said something along the lines of "I wish he was coming back here but there was nothing we could do."

I'm open to being wrong but it's well understood that he's gotten a really long look and they're working out a deal. If I'm wrong I'll proudly eat crow and never post something like this again.

Edit: I would just ask that we don't post this anywhere else. I don't want my guys being outed or getting in trouble for talking a little too much and I definitely don't want to spread bad info if it ends up not working out.