YOUNG REFEREE IN NEED OF ADVICE.

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Soccer is the best, May 18, 2017.

1. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    That has to be the first time "vichyssoise" has ever appeared in this forum. :D

dadman repped this.
  2. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Certainly the first time it was spelled correctly.

voiceoflg and dadman repped this.
  3. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes me want to attempt "boullabaise". :: goes to look it up ::

Rats. :(

bouillabaisse

camconcay and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  4. wh1s+1eR

wh1s+1eR Member

Apr 23, 2017
    hey, this I make for living, know both ways (inside out?), also hot and cold. My buddys like cold method. Also, first time join forum for me. Sometime example fail, now is okay, for me understand better.

Work method same, cook, referee. Prepare good materials, serve proper who came to receive. Player expect whistle, so give whistle, right? Know all ways, inside out, law, or food item. After, much enjoy everything.

threeputzzz repped this.
  5. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    One thing that helps me doing small sided games where parents usually don't know the laws and don't understand what they are seeing is to verbalize. If there is a scrum in front of the goal and a player kicks the ball next to the net, they may not have seen the ball go off a prone keeper's hand. Sell it. "Ball went off the keeper's hand. Corner!"

Or as an AR "Whole ball did not go out. Ball's still in!"

But, if you do that, make sure you and the LOTG are on the same page. I'm told a young referee gave an indirect free kick when a keeper carried the ball out of the PA. He sold it well enough to convince at least one parent, but not the coaches.

Soccer is the best repped this.
  6. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    First on your transfer question, you are US soccer certified so you are good to referee in Florida, use your states SRA to contact the Fla SRA. You should register where you do most of your games. I know a small amount about Fla and nothing about your home state, but Fla is not an "easy upgrade" state (yes there are some).

One thing I would caution about this board, or any board on line. BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT/WHO YOU LISTEN TO. yes there are so very good referees here with some fantastic advice, but it's an internet board, there are also some givers of bad advice, some that just love to argue semantics of the wording of LOTG and some who seem to have never stepped on a field in a competitive game. Over time it becomes clear who knows what they are talking about.

My advice:
    - work locally, get an assessor, contact the SDA as about a D&G assessment.
    - find a mentor, LISTEN TO THEM
    - Work as many games as you can without over working yourself
    - Games means experience, experience means you've been in more situations and more confidence
    - turn a deaf ear to parents

refinDC, dadman, IASocFan and 3 others repped this.
  7. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    All very good points on here. Two more points - I like feedback from other referees I work the games with. Also, observe the other referees e.g. positioning, calls etc. For example I was AR at a U18 game yesterday while the Center was a 12 year veteran and it was great how calmly he dealt with the game throughout.

dadman and Soccer is the best repped this.
  8. Soccer is the best

May 5, 2017
    #33 Soccer is the best, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Michigan requires 25 games as a referee and 25 as an assistant referee.These games must be in the top state division for U-16 or higher. Most if not all of these game are given to grade 7 and 6 referees. Michigan also requires a fitness for this grade.

I looked up Florida and found the require 75 youth games and 2 assessments one as a referee and one as an AR. As well as a fitness test.

Thanks everyone for you advice, it really means a lot to me, as I what to become the best referee I possibly can.

dadman and Spencedawgmillionaire repped this.
  9. Soccer is the best

May 5, 2017
    Well I finished the tournament yesterday, with a great experience.

After having done U-11 and U-12 games Friday, Saturday, and most of Sunday. The tournament assignor moved me from my last game assignment (a U-10 final) to a new one (two U-14 finals, one as a referee and one as an AR)

Over all I feel that I did a good job the entire tournament.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

10. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Cool - sounds like the tourney was a great experience for you.
    Remember that as a referee, the teams and fans expect you to start at perfection and steadily improve from there.