You be the new coach: how do you rebuild?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Eleven Bravo, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s how coaches become overreliant on past their prime players.

2. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Not the good coaches.

3. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    The new guy better get that in his contract because I don't think a newly elected fed president is going to want to lose a bunch of games during the next couple years.

4. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    they will understand...there should be a lot of losing the next few years at the expense of finding players that can play.

we can't afford to have more nagbe/roldan types who can't step up in competition in important matches.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He was dominant in league play. He was solid though conservative in his GC match which was his competitive debut. Arena subbed out Acosta rather than Roldan. In the MLS Cup match, the entire midfield was swamped by the TFC's diamond.

6. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    #56 Mahtzo1, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    How has Roldan demonstrated that he can't step up in important matches? He has done quite well in MLS and because he hasn't had any other opportunities that is all we have to go on.

He may or may not prove to be one of our better players going forward but one game (or whatever he has had) isn't enough to write him off.

As far as losing games, I agree that winning should not be the goal, per se, over the next year but if we are losing everything (or winning everything) that won't be good either. Ideally, we will be playing teams that challenge us while not being so good that we have no chance. We won't gain anything by playing Brazil's A team and getting slaughtered any more than we would gain anything by playing Tonga and beating them a lot to a little. Some close wins and some close losses would be ideal.

7. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    well in important matches...he disappears.

has done well against subpar competition in mls...but at times very poor. the other opportunities with the usmnt were complete failure so we do have that to go on.

not one game...multiple matches/camps to look at him.

8. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    league play...unless they were playing a top mls team then he struggled. I mean look at mls cup what rating would you give him? I'd give him a solid 1.

he was very poor in the gold cup against garbage competition. he then was set home he was so poor. arena subbed out acosta because acosta went on to play in bigger matches.

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    With the advent of the LoN, there will be enough available competitive caps to both win now with experience players and blood younger players.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The current YA pool for the '18 Pre-WC Friendlies would be:

McKennie, Pulisic, Brooks, Williams, Wood, Yedlin, Miazga, Shaq, Stanko, Siebatcheau, JGonzalez, Klinsmann, Parks, Gooch, CCV, EPB, Robinson, Green, Villafana, Hyndman, Sargent, and Amon

That group plus a handful of MLSers should form the squad. Post WC, a similarly sourced team should then be assembled for euro-based friendlies against Uefa and perhaps more likely, non-Uefa opponents. Depending on the schedule, LoN matches against Mexico and CR could also be added.

The emphasis should be on giving these guys, the euro-based players, enough games to build some familiarity, but not so many as to lead to jadedness.

The emphasis with the MLS-based players will be on separating the wheat from the chaff, a task which league play is inadequate for.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    McKennie, Pulisic, Brooks, Williams, Wood, Yedlin, Miazga, Shaq, Stanko, Siebatcheau, JGonzalez, Klinsmann, Saief, Parks, Gooch, CCV, EPB, Robinson, Green, Villafana, Hyndman, Sargent, and Amon

12. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    problem with the group you've listed is that most of them haven't shown a sign they are even close to ready for usmnt action.

guys like williams the ship has sailed on at this point. Siebatcheau accepted a call to france u21; kid doesn't speak english...he is not going to play for the us. guys like parks, robinson, shaq, amon, epb are u23 guys right now and should focus on trying to get to the olympics. Hyndman and green don't have it and gooch may be a guy with a small role as like a backup of a backup but he's shown little to show he deserves a callup to the real usmnt. for a scrimmage like portugal is one thing.

Cynical US fan repped this.
  13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Moved from another thread

I strongly disagree, your excellency.

We should build around CP, McKennie, Brooks and Yedlin, not some grouping of MLS (my god, Camp Cupcake was disappointing).

I'd focus on building the defense first around the last three players and hopefully settle on a GK quickly who complements them. I'd find Brooks a quick footed partner and then work (as always) to find a reliable left back with an emphasis on strong positional defense and speed. Another mid who can link between McKennie and the offense would be ideal but I don't see any natural fits so I'd experiment broadly. I'd also find a bunch of speedy/athletic outside mids who fundamentally understand how to close spacing and cut out passing lanes (Arriola and maybe even MB(!)).

On offense, I'd figure out a way to create mismatches where CP is hopefully running into space - not sure who in our pool complements him best as it's slim picking. Woods and Morris seem similar to me as they're constantly running and trying to create havoc but aren't guys hat create their own goals.

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Manana

15. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006

you do know morris plays in mls right? you said you don't want mls players and then named one lol. On top of that if you can only name four players and one (brooks) seems to have injury issues non-stop its a little hard to leave out mls guys.

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The recent comments from Williams, Howard, and Cameron reinforce my view. There are poisonous divisions within the program, divisions that may be driven by cultural and ideological differences rather than by a clash of egos. As a result, the team could go the way of France: the whole becomes less than the sum of the parts.

Giving the '19 GC and CA to the MLS contingent should alleviate any qualms of a bias against them. And their performances will provide an honest appraisal of their standing within the program.

17. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    first part I agree with

going with one league's players only in a real competition will just create a bigger divide.

If they do well..do you ever select pulisic again? I mean why would you

if they do terrible...do you ever select an mls player again?

Fact is we know with an mls only group they'd get slaughtered; we saw the friendly that is what the team would look like.

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    MLS players had always gotten the second GC of each cycle. Yet that didn't create division within the team.

Players who do well in '19 would be up for selection to the Euro-based team of the '20 Copa in the US. A selection headache over Pulisic and an MLS-based player would be great: depth is awesome.

And if the MLS-based guys get slaughtered in '19 then they and Garber can have no complaints if there are a subsequent paucity of selections for the full team.

January friendlies mean jack ##$ as far providing the best appraisal of each player's abilities.

19. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    so you posted about a division currently in the team because of players comments

I said that making events mls only players would create division on the team

you reply saying no mls only events won't create a division on the team because in the past events(second gc of each cycle) have been mls only players so doing wouldn't create a division. Do you see the issue...you can't argue it won't be an issue because its already happening and there is currently an issue.

its like if a person said don't smoke you may get cancer and you said on no its ok I use dip like tic tacs and already have cancer so smoking shouldn't cause any issue I already have cancer I mean whats the worse that can happen?

the answer? MORE CANCER which is always worse. The moral being if there is division creating more with the idea its already there who cares isn't the way to go about it.

acting like the us after missing the world cup can throw away actual events like gc/ca to prove a point about mls is bad. Every event needs to be used to create a team to start qualifying in two years. you don't do that by introducing 15 new players each camp.

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    No. Those comments are only the most recent of a stream divisive takes from Garber, Abbie Wambach, Donovan, and Klinsmann. The problem traces back to the first couple of years of the Klinsmann regime.
    This makes no sense whatsoever. You seem to be confusing correlation for cause.
    The answer would be 'I know I'm going to die, so whatever'. Plenty of folks with lung cancer struggle with the problem of tobacco addiction, as you seem to struggle with analogies.

No. Bringing in Euros over three summers on the trot would be stupid and counterproductive. Let them get their rest. This is what European NTs do: one major tournament is played every two years.

21. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006

I guess I just don't understand you then.

I mean I read this quote from you...
    "The recent comments from Williams, Howard, and Cameron reinforce my view. There are poisonous divisions within the program, divisions that may be driven by cultural and ideological differences rather than by a clash of egos. As a result, the team could go the way of France: the whole becomes less than the sum of the parts."

made in post #66

I thought that was referencing to a divide within the players because you name players and reference a player issue france had, apparently those weren't referencing a divide in the team.

My analogies are spot on you just can't stick with one opinion so it makes it impossible to have a conversation.

There was a player issue and it had a lot to do with mls/euro players and dual nationals. The idea that going all mls for important tournaments with only mls players won't create an issue and a bigger chemistry issue is crazy. The notion that the us can play one group and then all of a sudden once qualifying starts just say 'ok bring back the euro players we'll use this group that has never played together train three days and play qualifiers and the chemistry will be there because it just will' is a joke and a terrible idea.

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I explained twice. I even simplified the explanation the second time.
    I expanded by referencing not only comments from current players, but those from former players, from coaches, from the MLS Commissioner, and other notables in the USSoccer community. The divide within the team was reflect by a wider divide within the community.
    Your analogies defied basic logic.
    The team already does so for the second Gold Cup of each cycle.
    I already explained that a primarily Euro-based team would get the '20 Copa. MLS players who do well would also be in this team. Also, there will be other matches--CLoN and friendlies--before WCQing starts.

23. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I guess I asked too much I'll go simple

the basic logic is...if something is bad...do you purposely do things that will make it worse? the reply you gave above was...'yeah you just mess things up as bad as possible because I mean not qualifying for the world cup twice in a row wouldn't be a problem.'

i.e. a divide between mls and non-mls players...do you say 'hey no euro players next summer in gc 19...no euro players in ca in 20...no euro players in gc 21(since you said we don't include them in second gc of cycle which isn't true but I will act like you are telling the truth)...so the earliest a euro player can get a match that counts with the usmnt is....

actually there are even other things...what about the league of nations. I mean that is how they will qualify for GC and will have an impact on WCQ seeding....I assume that will be all mls too or do you throw untested teams that haven't played together at all into those crucial matches?

So again the first euro in a usmnt match maybe the november of 2019 or I mean if all mls gets you that far...november of 2022? Do you use mls only players for youth teams? U23?

My point is if you don't think going all mls all the time is going to create a divide...I think maybe you don't understand things that divide teams.

team chemistry matters in the is sport you call in the best players for tourneys and you try to create depth with the fringe players. You don't do this by selecting a league and saying we don't care about anyone not in this league you don't get a shot. I mean imagine the craziness of pulisic playing in bundesliga and if arena said...nah we have a guy who has scored two goals in mls lets give him a shot lol.

You do remember that match at honduras when it was Pulisic and the MLS boys to start the match and they only got a lucky draw on a late goal? it helped knock the us out of the world cup...remember? we already know about mls we don't need more information about it as a whole.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    You lost the plot several posts ago: you're arguing with yourself, at this point, bro.

25. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I feel like I am because you keep changing ur position.

I say unite the team build a team with chemistry

your position is to split them up make a team using one league and then when they get desperate get guys together who haven't played together and expect them to just figure it out. I don't think you understand how important chemistry is in a team.