YNT post-mortem: U.S. players born '93-'96

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We didn’t qualify for the World Cup. And a big reason is that none of these players were good enough to displace bad players who couldn’t qualify. Basically of this age group 93-94 other than Yedlin is a complete waste. Only Trapp seems to have a shot at a dozen caps.

The senior team is going to be filled with 95s and later plus Yedlin. As Clint said the 91-92s might be even worse. Bobby wood and .....?

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :cry::cry::cry:

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2011 cycle was my first and man did I learn a lot after hyping up Zarek Valentins and Joe Gyaus

Patrick167 repped this.
  4. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yep, 2013 cycle was a little subpar. Really only Yedlin and Brooks are true NT quality. However, we didn't develop Brooks and a Yedlin is hard to ruin. Trapp and Morris should be just bench guys. The only saving grace is that it's better than 2011.

2015 in comparison really shows an improvement and is a Sign of Things to Come.

Peretz48 repped this.
  5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Nowhere to go but up.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The 2013 group has had 5 guys (Acosta, Brooks, Morris, Stanko, Yedlin) play in qualifiers, which I think is a reasonable measure of whether a guy has moved past the "courtesy cap" stage to the "important to the program" stage.

Most of those, save perhaps Stanko, seem pretty likely to get more. And then you might eventually add guys like Trapp and Zimmerman.

Five (or more) actually is not a bad number historically speaking. It's just one less than as 2011 (which also claims Brooks, playing up), and more than 2009 or 2007. The 2005 group did particularly well. The 2015 group will probably also probably do better.

* I only track guys who DIDN'T get U20 callups if they make World Cup rosters. If anyone wants to add more data (like, say, non-U20 qualifiers, U23 caps, MNT caps) to my sheets, let me know...

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Depends on which 5. These 5 isn't any kind of success. You can't be serious comparing those 5 guys to 2007 team. Altidore, Bradley, Adu, Dax, Rogers, Zizzo, Beltran, Wallace, Szetela all have MNT caps.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #633 Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Obviously there are a lot of different ways to define success, and I'm using a semi-arbitrary measure mainly because it's semi-objective. (That doesn't mean it's the right or best one, or that I'm arguing that the 2013 team was some kind of cradle of legends.) And obviously there's a good reason not to use "caps" as the measure of a good U20 group.

Though, by that measure, 2015 may end up winning that prize. They already have 12. EPB seems like a lock. And then you have Shaq, Harkes, and a passel of still-young dudes who aren't completely reaches. (And Zelalem!) Plus, they don't even get credit for Julian Green, who never played for the U20s.

9. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Instead of capped players, why not total caps? Isn't it better to produce one 100 cap player every two years than three 5 capped players? Especially with January camps handing out a cap here and there to guys who are not even really fringe players.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Of course that's "better" than caps alone. I just use appearances in qualifying as a different shorthand for "important player" because 1) it's easier to track 2) it's reasonably useful and 3) I'm not paid for this.

Someone has probably done this, but I'd love to see a study of how many caps a typical capped player gets, and what the curve looks like.

If you'd like to contribute to this research, I will gladly work with you to help you make that happen!

Patrick167 repped this.
  11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    i wasn't trying to criticize, just was curious as to which people thought better in theory. Even if one is better, it doesn't make the other not valuable or a good thing to track in lieu of the harder item.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I know. I just like trying to guilt-trip people into doing work I'm too lazy to do. It's called management.

Winoman repped this.
  13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t count the underage players. They didn’t help the U20 team very much back then because of their age and they aren’t of the same birth year. That’s just me

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Collin Martin is finding a few minutes here and there for MNUtd.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Whatever happened to Marc Pelosi............................................?

Appears done.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least guido seems to not be done

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Former U20 Caleb Duvernay, an MLS draftee, is now in the PDL with NCFC U23s.

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Not with Cryptocurrency Twitter he's not!

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Former FCD homegrown on the move. Provisionally cap-tied to Mexico, but still eligible for a one-time switch.
    995106571184230404 is not a valid tweet id

Also, a story on '93 Sean Davis.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    At this point, I'm not sure our players who are already established pros turning down Europe, even if its not a top league, is a good thing.

22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think having the option is a good thing. Indeed, I think having MLS offer enough money where you have to think twice is a very good thing.

23. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Corey Baird with goals in back to back matches now.

Pl@ymaker and irondeepbicycle repped this.
  24. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was 2 BL level. Not sure it’s a great move when you’re already in the middle of your career

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. It just depends on the opportunity.................................