YNT post-mortem: U.S. players born '93-'96

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Permanent move, looks like.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pl@ymaker, Peretz48 and Winoman repped this.
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Hey now.................

TxEx and Winoman repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Seems like we're about to add another capped player from this age group:

John Anthony Brooks
    Matt Miazga
    DeAndre Yedlin
    Kellyn Acosta
    Jordan Morris
    Christian Pulisic (so young he's not really part of this age group, but we'll include him anyway)
    Emerson Hyndman
    Julian Green
    Jerome Kiesewetter
    Luis Gil
    Will Trapp
    Caleb Stanko
    Paul Arriola
    Rubio Rubin
    Brandon Vincent
    Ethan Horvath
    Lynden Gooch

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I brought this up elsewhere, but thought I should bring it up here.

I think this generation is really feeling the effects of just how bad the 1994 American born year was. Take a look at that year. Try to make a top five list.

Here's mine

1. Jordan Morris
    2. Brandon Vincent
    3. Marlon Hairston
    4. Alex Bono
    5. Dillon Serna/Alonso Hernandez/Marc Pelosi/Alejandro Guido

The year is 4 deep in good MLS level professionals, and has 1 NT level player. Absolutely dreadful. How is it possible that one year could be so bad?

6. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    There could be some pretty decent kids in the draft. I mean Rosenberry came from this years draft and ended up being a NT prospect, but still this will still be a lack luster class even if it could produce a NT prospect. I think Bileyu could have a pretty good year with NYRB with how often their wing backs get hurt, and Jessie is a coach who would like to play kids. I mean Manneh is a 94 if you count him.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Rosenberry is '93. Not counting Manneh. The USA didn't produce him.

8. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    That's my point, Rosenberry wasn't a thought in a lot of people's minds, now he's a top 93. The 94s are one year younger (obviously) so they could have Rosenberry-esq years. Nick Lima is a guy a lot of people could be a difference maker on day one same with Crogale. Both of them are 94s but plenty of 94s came into the league this year.

xbhaskarx and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobby wood??

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Wood was part of the 2011 cycle, not the 2009 one, which was for 89/90 birth years.

With that said, I should've noted that several of the guys I mentioned before were playing up with the '09s.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhh whoops you're right

12. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @Soccer_News_USA's Tweet:

13. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Winoman repped this.
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here for references are all the '94s who got U20 callups in the 2013 cycle:

Hernandez Alonso
    McIntosh Kendall
    Rodriguez Mario
    Sorto Oscar
    Akinyonde Bolu
    Duarte Christian
    Dunn Matt
    Guido Alejandro
    Hairston Marlon
    Koroma Alfred
    Madison Darius
    Martin Collin
    McBean Jack
    Morris Jordan
    Pelosi Marc
    Potts Daniel
    Robinson Jalen
    Serna Dillon
    Decker Ethan
    Fender Holden
    McGuire Jake
    Oliver Andrew
    It's probably reasonable to give the group at least one more year (this is basically the the "rookie season" for college players) but it's obviously still not packed with clear future stars. Pelosi and Martin stand out as guys slowed by injury. Potts turned out to be ineligible.

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't Andrew Oliver the next big thing for a month or so? What happened to him?

16. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played three seasons at Indiana (2012-14) then left school and hasn't been heard from since. He never scored more than four goals in an NCAA season.

17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's the Nike Friendlies roster from that group (this is just one game's roster but I believe it captures all or most of the guys who were available at the time):

USA: 1-Fernando Piña, 4-Andrew Chang, 2-Nathan Smith, 6-Andrew Souders (capt.), 21-Ive Burnett (16-Holden Fender, 58); 7-Andrew Oliver (20-Nicholas Melo, 46), 5-Atsou Ayah (17-Tarek Beckles, 71), 3-Marc Pelosi, 10-Irvin Gijon (14-Oscar Ortega, 71), 11-Alfred Koroma (9-Mario Rodriguez, 80); 15-Kellen Gulley (19-Mikhail Doholis, 46)
    Subs: 8-Tarik Salkicic, 12-Eric Gonzalez, 13-Sebastian Velasquez, 18-Kendall McIntosh, 22-Jerome Cristobal

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...lands-in-nike-international-friendlies-finale

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That team has maybe one or two players who are even good enough to make an MLS roster. So awful.

butters59 repped this.
  19. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Just off the top of my head- McIntosh is a backup GK for the Timbers, Nathan Smith is with Los Dos, M.Rodriguez is on loan in the German 3rd division, Marc Pelosi is with the Earthquakes, but unfortunately injuries have taken their toll. I think that Atsou Ayah is now coaching with Chargers (Tampa Bay). Probably most of the other names on the Nike Friendlies roster are not involved with soccer. This was by far the weakest group we've had in the last 10-15 years.

The good news is that we're making progress (really), and from this point forward every U17 group will have multiple players who will wind up in MLS, or with other 1st div. clubs abroad.

Pl@ymaker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    And some of those guys just completed their collegiate careers. Beckles, whose name I did not recall, just finished up at Manhattan after playing JuCo.

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So first Andre Oliver got kicked out of the residency program at Bradenton, and then he left Indiana University early to never be heard from again... probably best to pencil in "character issues" next to his name.

22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lack of focus/drive/maturity/grades/most-or-all-of-the-above seems like a possibility. As far as we know, though, he's doing better than Kellen Gulley...

23. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2015 Toulon Tournament participant Sam Strong spotted playing with Ventura County Fusion in a friendly match vs. Colorado Rapids. "Former UCSB" player is not surprising given his incident last October. For this '93-'96 age group, he's second behind Kellen Gulley for worst ending.

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That's interesting. I'd seen reports of the arrest, but missed the follow-ups reporting his formal charging. I'm still not sure the disposition of the case.

In November, he was charged, and pleaded not guilty.

https://thebottomline.as.ucsb.edu/2016/11/news-in-brief-nov-2-to-nov-8

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  25. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Here's my periodic contrasting look at the Freddy Adu generation (1989-90) and how they have fared in the last twelve months of MNT callups. Remember, these guys are in their prime 28 to 26 years old.

YNT members that have been capped in the last 12 months:

Altidore
    Villafana

Called to CA or Jan preliminary squads:

Mix
    Hamid

Notable YNT members that have not been capped:

Adu
    Shea
    Johnson