YNT-Eligible Players: 2018 US Open Cup

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TarHeels17, May 31, 2018.

1. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Agree, I think he needs to continue to look to effect the game in the final 3rd or else he will just be another player with good technical skills.

2. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t really believe that would stop if he had his own thread

3. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scally has a very good first touch and awareness of who’s around him and how much time he has. Lade stuck with him tho and he didn’t do the things that wingers do to get open. There were some times where he was open and should have received the ball, but didn’t. Overall, he wasn’t especially involved, but didn’t really make any glaring mistakes with the ball. In my time watching him, defense has been his issue. I haven’t seen anything from him that suggests that has changed. Actually, it seems like it makes sense that NYCFC moved him to the wing instead of grooming him to be a right back. In this game, he let his many run by him near the touch line a few fines, but nothing came of it.

Sands made some really nice passes to spring the break a couple times and it seemed like the game opened up after he came on. Unfortunately, he also didn’t look especially good defensively. He got caught ball watching and his man blew right past him and got an assist on the third goal.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Where did you get that they are grooming him as a winger?

I've seen nothing to suggest that. Vieira wanted to take off Villa. Easiest way to maneuver that was likely to have Scally playing as a defensive winger. And it was his first professional game. He's 15 years old. A lot of the time teams start out defensive players in more attacking situations to not expose them defensively. Goslin was playing today as a #10 (when he entered) in his first appearance for Atlanta's first team. McKennie played a lot this season as a #8 for Schalke, even though they say they think he's more of a #6, long term. Klinsmann used Yedlin as a winger in some of his early NT games.

5. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn’t really trying to imply they had. But it would make sense if they were trying to move him there for now because of the reason you mentioned. Long term, I don’t think he’s going to have the attacking instinct he would need to stay on the wing. But he’s got to get a lot better at defending

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Agree to disagree. I think he's better defensively than offensively.

7. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? After that Netherlands game at the Nike Friendlies, I didn’t think any of this group was very advanced defensively. He was involved in the second and the fourth goals. Ball watching the second, guy went right around him on the fourth.

But I know that’s just one game. Either way, I think he has the potential to learn how to be a good RB

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Lennon got 19 minutes. Brewer got 27 minutes.

Williamson played 45 minutes.

Is there a reason Rogers didn't even make the bench for Seattle? I don't understand it at this point. As far as I'm concerned, he should be on a first team contract, and starting to get minutes.

9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rogers might be injured. He hasn’t played in the most recent S2 games.

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #85 Clint Eastwood, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    FCD has been playing in a 4-3-3 a lot recently. The lineup chart says he started on the left side in central midfield, but Paxton had a pretty free role. He was in the middle of the park a lot. He made some good connections and combinations with others in the midfield, but rarely played a dangerous ball into an attacker. There's gotta be more...……..I don't know...………...adventure to his game. More of a swagger. When I watch Carleton I see that Clint Mathis or Clint Dempsey confidence. I'm not seeing that from Paxton yet against adult pros. I'm not suggesting he's playing afraid or anything. I just want to see him unleash himself, if that make sense. Playing pretty combinations with Jacori Hayes 50 yards from goal doesn't really accomplish anything. Jacori passes it to Tesho...……….and we lose the ball. I wanna see Paxton take the initiative. He can do this. We've seen it many times at the academy level. I wanna see a Benny Feilhaber or Lee Nguyen upgrade. Don't get me wrong, he didn't have a bad performance. There was just no sizzle. It wasn't enough for anybody to say "this kid must start games over Mauro Diaz." Or even "this kid must be on the bench over Mosquera." Carleton does things when he gets an opportunity that makes everyone say "DAMN, this kid MUST get more playing time. No option. No excuses." Paxton didn't do that last night. It was OK. It was fine.

Towards the end of the first half he got into a collision with a San Antonio defender and was limping really badly. I was worried about him being substituted at the half, and he was. Didn't look serious, though. It wasn't a knee. Looked to me like he might have rolled an ankle, but hard to tell. They didn't show a replay of the incident.

The best Paxton moment was when he got an accidental nacho shower from a San Antonio fan :) I hope somebody makes a GIF of that.

For a USL side San Antonio displayed a really strong midfield. Former USYNTers Mikey Lopez and Sonny Guadarrama were doing a pretty good job controlling the Dallas midfield. [Mikey Lopez should be on an MLS roster. Just my opinion.]Sonny's forays into his own attacking end were much to be desired, though. As a UYSNT fan the mere sight of Guadarrama irks me.

As I was watching that first half, I was thinking "this game isn't going the right way. We're going to have to bring on the vets to win this game instead of Richards, Servania, Ferreira," and so I didn't watch the second half. And so it came to be. FCD was lucky to get out of there with a win. They cleared two San Antonio shots off the line while I was watching.

Ethan Bryant of San Antonio did get on in 2nd half garbage time.

TCS35 repped this.
  11. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    "Sam Rogers would have been on the list but he has been suffering from an undisclosed injury and is unlikely to be available."

12. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Curious what age, USSF new bio-banding technology would put Scally at as he definitely doesn't look 15. Could easily pass for 18 in my opinion.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Carleton definitely deserves his own thread as do some other players, but I do like having a central threads for the minor cast members of TEP.

Not sure what the threshold for getting a stand alone thread should be, but it should be more than just getting a MLS cameo or playing in Open Cup. Perhaps 100+ MLS regular season minutes or 4 appearances.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The draw for the next round has occurred. Some good matchups for youth watchers................

Sombrerito repped this.
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    FCD versus SKC this weekend in the USOC should hopefully be a youth-a-palooza.

Both Mosquera and Colman are out injured for 2-3 weeks for FCD.
    So we should have at least 4 thread-eligible players in the 18 for FCD with at least Cannon and Pax starting. [In training this week Diaz has had a limited role. Could mean nothing, or it could mean what we think it does.] One of Ferreira and Twumasi should take the place of Colman in the 18. There is nobody else (Atuahene is out on loan). Twumasi didn't show me much more than pace in the last round. Fingers crossed that its Ferreira who gets the opportunity. Servania and Richards were both in the 18 for the last round. Don't know about Richards this time, but Servania has been making a real push for first team minutes. So hopefully this weekend is the time for his debut.

Here are this week's practice observations.....
    https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/soccer/soccer/2018/06/12/fc-dallas-practice-observations-june-12

Note that Ben Hale of Furman is continuing to practice with the first team, and not (for the most part) with the kids at their college camp. He's a '98 goalkeeper, who seems to be in prime position for a contract shortly (either FCD or FCDII)

TheFalseNine repped this.
  17. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Adams, McKenzie, and Trusty all starting

18. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Kuzain, Lindsey, and Cannon starting. Pomykal on the bench.

Anderson11 repped this.
  19. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't wanna be that guy, but...

[​IMG]

Oscar playing Acosta on the wing in the open cup instead of Paxton while Sporting KC plays Lindsey and Kuzain definitely means something.

KUSA77 and bballshawn repped this.
  20. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Malaysia Messi 1 assist

TheFalseNine repped this.
  21. FC Dallas 1

FC Dallas 1 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Means SKC trusts their kids. Where is servania? SKC youth didn’t beat him for 3 years, but they play their youth. It’s servania time

ussoccer97531 and bballshawn repped this.
  22. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Are FC Dallas really going to rely on the same group of players getting hot come playoff time? I don't think it will happen they will just go stale again, and Dallas will earn another early exit.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pomykal once again didn't play, and they were eliminated. Only has played 67 minutes this season. Will he hit 100? Making the bench doesn't mean he's going to play. It seems very clear that he's last off the bench, if they are going to use subs.

Yet another player who seems to be really suffering when it comes to perception from playing for a team that prefers the mediocre foreigners instead. And he can play like four positions, so the "Mauro Diaz starts at his best position" argument is a bad one. What if Pomykal had been getting regular minutes the last two seasons? I think he'd be playing for the NT by now. Such a shame what is happening to Pomykal and Carleton. Maybe the two best young players in MLS can't even see the field.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  24. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Agreed. What’s the plan here with Dallas? The kid isn’t playing. Anywhere.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  25. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Carleton is at least getting 90 minutes somewhere. Dallas needs to get Pomykal to Tulsa or OKC if this is the status quo.