YNT-eligible NASL/USL players: 2017/18 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vasquez playing as a left winger:cautious:

2. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Carleton just hit a hocus pocus meg that just barely didn’t but come to.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #204 Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Snip (from the inbox):

New York, NY (February 27, 2018) - The North American Soccer League (NASL) announced that it has canceled the 2018 Season after failing to receive a preliminary injunction preventing the U.S. Soccer Federation (USSF) from revoking the NASL's Division II status.
    It is, obviously, not a good thing to lose games, teams and jobs. One wonders, of course, what's next both for the six organizations still affiliated with the league and those that might have been considering it.

http://www.nasl.com/teams

The release does suggest that they are eyeing 2019, and also that:

During the NASL's hiatus from competition, three NASL members, the Jacksonville Armada FC, Miami FC, and New York Cosmos, will be fielding teams in the National Premier Soccer League with play scheduled to begin on April 15, 2018.​

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  5. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    http://www.nasl.com/news/2018/02/27...-league-announces-cancellation-of-2018-season

So the legal action will continue and New York, Jacksonville and Miami will play in the NPSL in the meantime. They haven't given up on the 2019 season yet.

Also this -

https://www.news4jax.com/sports/armada-owner-may-change-face-of-soccer-in-america

The Jacksonville Armada owner wants to start a "Division Zero" league that is unaffiliated with FIFA or the USSF. One of the biggest drawbacks - players would not be national team eligible (so not part of this forum).

Some folks just do not want to play by anybody else's rules.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I believe that leaves Puerto Rico in the air along with expansion Cal United, which is planning a UPSL season (as Cal United 2) this year. It's in Orange County, so it already competes with a USL organization.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Mostly for the fun of tea leaf reading, I'll note that while the Cosmos statement yesterday enclosed only Sehgal's statement...

http://www.nycosmos.com/news/2018/0...-league-announces-cancellation-of-2018-season

... Miami took what seemed to be a pretty different tone, including both the above and a statement from the CEO that included this:

We continue to explore any and all options for Miami FC to play as soon as possible. ... Exciting additional announcements regarding the development and future of Miami FC will be made in the coming weeks and months, further demonstrating our commitment to Miami and soccer in the U.S.
    http://www.miamifc.com/news/2018/02...can-soccer-league-cancellation-of-2018-season

(Since that full quote also mentioned this season's plans, there's certainly an implication that they are working on much more.)

PRFC has been quiet, at least as far as I can see.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    There was a rumor that Miami FC was in talks with USL just before USL released their schedule. Obviously, if the rumor is true, then the talks broke down without any positive outcome. I don’t have the link for it because I heard it on SiriusXM FC. The point is that they have been shopping around, looking for the best deal for themselves personally throughout this process - as they should.

10. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    xbhaskarx, Peter Bonetti, TxEx and 4 others repped this.
  11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It's official.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/891979?referrer_id=2333971

Though I can't help noticing that the league doesn't seem to have acknowledged the San Diego NASL group's statement above.

The Union Tribune's story on the whole deal alludes to negotiations between the group and the USL but has no comment from the league itself.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...04fc-usl-san-diego-soccer-20180227-story.html

Many reasons this might be the case, of course.

Pl@ymaker and Peter Bonetti repped this.
  12. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    How has it taken so long to get a team in El Paso?

Good news!

I am a little concerned about the lack of 3rd Division announcements.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Agreed.

Apparently an announcement for Ft. Myers, FL will come soon, based on some twitter teases.

But they definitely need to step up the rate of announcements to get 2019 off and running properly. Anyone remember how many teams they hope to have the first year?

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I hear ya, though a counterpoint to that would be that if they plan on a bunch of PDL/NPSL organizations super-sizing for 2019, there may not really be that much of a hurry.

Of course, in cases where stadium work needs to be done, or organizations need to be built from scratch, that's another story.

As has been discussed here before -- I wonder how many teams they think they need to create a regional competition for 2019 that doesn't require undue travel.

15. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if there ever was an official announcement about a number of teams. Considering USL has always wanted to minimize travel costs, you'd think they'd want at least 20 for DIII, but they could always pull some teams down from DII.

There have also been a lot of teams recently that won't play pro in the 2018 season but were "discussing their future", and DIII would make a lot of sense for those teams. Rochester, Orlando B, Vancouver 2, a bunch of new rumored MLSII teams (FCD, DC I can remember). That brings them to like 8 already, and considering a lot of these teams already exist, I don't think it will be too hard.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    PRFC sent out a statement that more or less just confirms that they won't be doing anything this season and tells people to wait for more: "In the weeks and months to come PRFC will advise its fans when any additional information is available."

17. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Why would the players not be eligible for the USNT? Would that be a fifa regulation? As far as I know, a player does not technically have to be a member of any team to play for the national team. Does playing for a team that is unaffiliated count against you?

18. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    #219 Kombucha, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    There have been a number of unaffiliated former and current USYNT players signed out of HS and College directly to USL.

Atlanta signed Diego Lopez from Golden State FC about a month ago. Harold Hanson is another signed with T2 last year. Ryley Kraft is another.

Nobody has signed any top level prospect this way because few would sign with USL, but there have probably been close to 10 of these types USYNT prospects signed to USL at this point.

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Trini-American '98 Noah Powder has moved from NYRB2 to Orange County.

Gorky, Zamphyr and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    You are correct that "technically" they could be eligible for national teams, but in reality, they could never be considered because, in order to maintain their power, the USSF CAN'T consider any player from an outlaw league for national team selection. If they consider players from an unaffiliated league, what would the incentive be for affiliated leagues to continue to tow the line and pay their dues?

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  22. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Thanks, I hadn't thought of it from that angle.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Another YNT player signs with a USL team.

Winoman repped this.
  24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    xbhaskarx, Pl@ymaker, TarHeels17 and 2 others repped this.
  25. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Busio started and scored in SPR's final preseason game -

Subbed out at the end of the first half

Anderson11 and Starman* repped this.