YNT-eligible NASL/USL players: 2017/18 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Tactical Hipster repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Still very rare. But these guys also grabbed Collin Fernandez and Devin Vega. It seems like they are doing this on purpose.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, I remember Austin signed Mikey Ambrose a year early and made a pretty big deal about it.

He's in MLS now so it worked out OK for him.

In Waldrep's case, he can still take classes at the same school since he isn't leaving town to go pro. Academically, assuming the club or his parents can/will pay tuition, he isn't taking much of a risk so there's not much to lose.

Imagine if Louisville's USL team went after the underclassmen at U of L or Ky. or if NC went after some of the talent from the Triangle schools.

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  4. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Ray Serrano signs a pro contract w/ Sounders 2 -

5. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    I was just coming to post this.
    He travelled with the 1st team for preseason and got some decent time in preseason games.

He comes from where I grew up in Spokane. Playing with Spokane Sounders. Aka Spokane Shadow. Which their top teams used to be the Skyhawks before rebranding the youth teams to the Shadow which was a relatively successful PDL team which has now been reformed in the local EPLWA league.

6. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wasn't all that impressive with the U17s but he did alright in preseason.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Ocampo-Chavez and Atencio would've been better signings, but maybe they didn't want to sign.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    MLS teams can't get their HGs to leave college early and we're wondering why it's hard to convince teenagers to accept USL contracts?

9. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Sounders have 4 signings direct to S2 from the academy.

It all depends on the player and their family.
    Mansaray signed direct to the first team but was moved on.

Others have played a few years in college before signing.

Sounders still help with tuition and schooling after signing the academy players to contracts.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Obviously, it happens. That's kind of my point -- it really depends, and there are a lot of forces at play beyond just that a team might like to sign a player, all of which factor into determining what kind of offer a player might be willing to accept.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    One thing I've noticed with the kids who turn pro early in the US, either in HS or college underclassmen, is a disproportionate number of them are Hispanic, African-American and/or immigrants or the children of immigrants.

I would guess over half of the players who turn pro before 4 years of college fall into one of those groups but aren't nearly that much in terms of the overall numbers of kids who play.

So the inference there is that cultural and economic issues factor in rather bigly in influencing which kids turn pro early.

This isn't to suggest that middle-class white kids don't also turn pro early. They do. And it's not to suggest that there aren't Hispanic, African-American or immigrant families that are of means or who greatly emphasize education over sport.

Because we know there are.

But if you look at the GA classes and the kids who take homegrown deals or who leave school early for a long-shot in Europe or Mexico or the USL, a lot of times that player is either a minority or an immigrant or immigrant's child.

12. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    It is important to remember that college soccer is a partial scholarship sport, so unless you are extremely good then chances are high that you are picking up some of the tuition bill. A tuition bill that is rather steep even if you only have to pay 1/3 of the costs.

Also the better the program the even better you have to be to get a larger scholarship coupled with out-of-state tuition being higher it can be a financial burden to attend a quality program.

You are lower-SES and you are looking at a USL deal plus college assistance at a local school that is probably mediocre versus a 2/3 full ride to say SMU and the USL deal looks pretty better than middle or high-SES evaluating the same offer especially since most of those type of families probably put an overemphasis on the value of a college degree from a good school versus NH online.

Baysider repped this.
  13. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    https://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/20...-united-2-continue-to-add-to-inaugural-roster

Anyone know anything about Laurent Kissiedou and if he is close to citizenship? I’ve seen a few things about how he’s from the Ivory Coast but came from the Atlanta United Academy. He was with Charleston Battery with Okwonko as academy players at some point last season too. Interesting to see Atlanta signing more academy players regardless.

14. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he is. The ATL2 and Atlanta 1st team scrimmaged each other for a bit he was great.

964367112717320193 is not a valid tweet id

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick feet. ATL2 looks like they are gonna be just as entertaining as the first team.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Amirgy Pineda re-signed with USL OC.

Pl@ymaker and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  17. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Bello and Kunga started for ATL 2 in a scrimmage against GA state/Furman -

Both came off in the middle of the 2nd half

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #194 ussoccer97531, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    I don't think there's a youngster at Atlanta who's situation they are handling correctly. Busio had well over 100 preseason minutes, Bello had like 10. Kunga had 0 first team minutes in preseason, and is unlikely to see any during the season.

Can't find confirmation, but I'm pretty sure this guy is an '01. He should get a contract soon.

20. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait so after less than a half of preseason soccer, Carleton gets left out of an AU2 scrimmage? When is the next preseason game?

21. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll be a big boy and look myself. Today at 7:30 Eastern, against Charleston.

Balerion repped this.
  22. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Allegedly, today’s game for ATL will be a reserve team, so Carleton should/better get minutes.

23. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    It seems like ATL played the least number of games this preseason out of all MLS teams. Dumb considering they have a bunch of solid prospects that could actually use the playing time.

ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was pleasantly shocked at Busio’s time in preseason. I don’t think we’ll see him in MLS this season, but Vermes showed a lot more confidence in him than I expected, so maybe he can get some swope park minutes.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States