YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019 In-season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 2, 2019.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Hidden in the article.

I don't know if this is speculation or not because the journalist hasn't seen the player play before, but this would not seem to make much sense. Nyeman should be playing in MLS next season. If he's signing with DC, it should be for early playing time.

gogorath repped this.
  2. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Isn’t Nyemen going to be 16 all next season?

Loudoun seems reasonable for most minutes

don Lamb repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He’s playing with Loudoun this season and has done a very credible job. Plenty of players have gotten consistent minutes at 16, all worse players. There are a few 03’s that are getting MLS minutes this season. Are you going to suggest Pepi and Leyva should play most of next season in USL?

4. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Loudoun is also playing 03 Garay and Green a lot. Would be interesting to know how DC projects the future of those two.

5. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    None of those players have dominated USL. I think it is better for them to dominate USL consistently before moving to MLS rather than sitting the bench in MLS forgoing lots of minutes in USL. Unless they are going to be a big part of the first team squad, which I don't think any of those guys are (except maybe Leyva), I think their development is much better served being dominant on a consistent basis. Sitting in MLS waiting for minutes every few games is not a great solution for 16 year olds who need to be playing. They can get those MLS minutes at the end of the season with the focus on parlaying that and a full season of experience being the man into the following MLS season where they can expect to actually be a part of the team.

6. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Problem with DC is that Ben Olsen doesn’t sub. I’ve seen plenty DC games where we are down a goal and the first sub doesn’t come until the 80th minute. The other problem is that next year is probably do or die for Olsen. He can’t afford to focus on the long term.

He will probably follow the path of Griffin Yow who trains with the first team and makes the 18 but plays for LUFC. DC should qualify for the leagues cup so he should see action in those games plus USOC

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't think playoffs has much to do with his decision.

FCD has a lot of decisions to make as the contracts of Cannon, Pomykal, Ferreira, and Reynolds will all be entering the "option" phase next year. Those four were all signed at about the same time. So three of those four will either be signing long-term big-money extensions or being sold abroad.

Here's an article on this topic from earlier in the year.

FC Dallas has a Homegrown bubble and it's about to pop
    https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/f...has-a-homegrown-bubble-and-it-s-about-to-pop/

I have a sneaking suspicion that they'll wait until after the upcoming expansion draft to announce any new contracts (those guys are ineligible for the expansion draft while on their first homegrown contract).

Both Cannon and Pomykal have talked about Euro aspirations while also talking about how much they love FCD. I think both end up moving on while Ferreira and Reynolds sign multi-year extensions. But who knows?

FCD did just tie up Hollingshead on deal that'll take him thru 2022, which is one out of the way. That's an interesting roadblock if we think of him as a left back, as FCD does have a group of three USYNT-capped left backs in the hopper (Munjoma, Hinojosa, Gomez) as well as fullbacks like Bonilla & Almaguer.

SMU and Munjoma, by the way.............#2 team in the nation right now. FCD-heavy team. You'd think SMU could just become FCD reserve team and do really well.

8. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oft-predicted, now a reality. I'm starting to think that this Miami team might already redefine what we want out of our MLS franchises. It's what you'd expect from a team partially owned by a Galactico who is just as famous for being in the Class of '92: a team full of young players, including Americans, as well as international superstars. I'm definitely gonna try to buy tickets to Atlanta vs Miami in the spring.

9. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I think this signing make a lot of sense in that George Acosta is from Miami and he’s a young player of youth national team pedigree. Also I don’t think you’re wrong but I’m interested in how you came to the conclusion that they will play a lot of youth? This is Miami’s first domestic signing and I have only heard them linked to international stars. I’m sure you know something I haven’t heard yet.

10. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're a well run franchise, their academy is already doing well, there's already rumors of a second team, etc. I think their approach is going to be more Tottenham than Southampton, but that works plenty for me. It's me speculating of course, but they're saying all the right things.

11. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their international signings have all been young so far so it’s believable that they will feature a mostly young squad. They seem to be going the ATL model of finding young South Americans and flipping them to Europe.

12. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I'm pretty intrigued by this Miami team. They seem to be checking off all the right boxes both on the soccer side and on the marketing side. Acosta seems like a good pickup but I'm genuinely curious if he's going to be at the level a team like Inter Miami is going to want from a creative midfielder.

The expansion draft should give a pretty good idea of what kind of a team they're going to be. Right now I'm optimistic, and it will be nice to have a southern team that can go toe to toe with Atlanta United.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #2413 Clint Eastwood, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Of all the young players in MLS, the one actually from Frisco..................doesn't play for FCD :). He and his family were FCD season ticket holders.

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    How is Atlanta working out in that regard? I would be surprised if Miami doesn't field a good team, but I don't think it'll be particularly friendly to young Americans. If you look at their signings already and their rumored signings, it looks like they will be going the Atlanta route.

15. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    they do already have youth teams up and competing though, which is promising

16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Beckham has also consistently spoken about throughout this years long process that he’s very focused on developing the academy.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. We don't know about a club like Miami until they get going.
    I like what they're doing so far, though.....................................

I mean, LAFC signed some young US-eligible players when they started up, and they've all disappeared. Shaft Brewer? James Murphy?

Let's not all get ahead of ourselves.

Nice graphics, though. Love that we have this pink and black combo in MLS.

largegarlic and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  18. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Nice article on how Keaton Parks was trained as a youth.

WheezingUSASupport and TimB4Last repped this.
  19. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    sounds like a coach us soccer should add to the rolodex

20. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Sounds like a guy who should be coaching U-10s or so for any NTX club. Teaching kids proper soccer day in day out is far better than a yth national coach. Parents should flock to a guy who doesn't give a damn about wins or losses but improving each and every player. Even a saturated North Texas market has room for him, especially at the younger ages.

21. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keita starts for Columbus again. Getting a run at the end of the season.

23. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I will admit that after watching him in the U-20 WC, I had serious doubts about whether he could even make it as an MLS CB. He seemed like one of those guys who was useful at the U-20 level because of his physical attributes compared to his less than fully developed peers, but who lacked the technical and decision-making ability for a decent pro level, especially with CBs being expected to shoulder more of the burden with regard to distribution nowadays.

I'd be happy if he proves me wrong.

24. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is an interesting stat.

25. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, his distribution was inconsistent, but the U20's created 1 or 2 goals directly from Keita splitting the lines with good vision. Of course he turned the ball over with his risky passing too, but for a young CB IMO I'd prefer the occasional errant pass as a learning moment...
    Keita's defense in isolation was poor when we was at LB (against France FWIW). But the stat above about his defense in MLS so far maybe shows he's made progress in that regard?

Mario Balotelli repped this.