YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019 In-season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    DeJuan Jones starting at LEFTBACK for the revs today... the rookie has gotten a lot of minutes this season and is eligible to play the U23s but has had no looks. Maybe now he will. The more leftback depth the better.

autobus39 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    Vasquez on the bench for ATL

Pl@ymaker and autobus39 repped this.
  3. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Atlanta - Revs playoff game is about to start on Univision, TUDN USA, and TUDN USA en vivo nationally.

4. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones had some good moments in combination in the first half and stung a left footed shot right at Guzan from just outside the box. He looks pretty comfortable on his left (I am not sure whether he was right or left footed).

On defense there was a play where a one - two was played around him and then Gressel collected and was able to cut inside on him though I believe this lead to nothing. There was also a sequence where Jones did well to win a 50-50 header against Gressel at midfield ,but then hit a pass to a Atlanta defender leading to a counter. In addition, there has been a general pattern of play where Jones is tucked inside as a support defender and then Atlanta hit a switch to Gressel who as able to get a cross off before Jones can get out to him though presumably this is how Bruce wants him to set up tactically. You can also see at times the athleticism that lead him to be the top player in individual drill testing at the combine.

The first half on the whole has been enjoyable and open. It is currently 0-0.

5. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relatively quite second half for Jones, though the game's only goal came when Barco played a ball behind him that Escober beats Jones and the center-back Mlinar Delamea to.

6. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle hosts FC Dallas at 3:30 eastern. The game is on FS1, Fox Deportes, and FoxSportsGo.

Cannon, Ferreira, and Servania start for FC Dallas. Nelson, Pomykal, and Cerrillo are on the bench.

7. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    pomykal still not 100% or do we think he really lost his place?

8. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cannon playing at right midfield today. Ferreria at the 10.

9. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2634 autobus39, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Seattle's opener came after Ferreira lost the ball to a double team (not in clip below). Servania gambles to cut out the pass to Ruidiaz on the counter but does not get there.

Cannon has been moved to left midfield and scored late in the first half.

He was also booked in the 44th for a hard foul on Roldan.

10. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pomykal on in the 78th. Ferreira off and Cannon back to right back. Seattle is up 3-2.

11. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2636 autobus39, Oct 19, 2019
    Headed to extra time in Seattle tied 3-3.

Morris boxed out Servania on a corner to make it 3-2.

Ferreira's passing - yellow is a pass that lead to a shot (he also had one off targer shot from outside the box):
    Ferreira's Passing.png

Ferreira's defense (orange recovery and blue interceptions):
    Ferreira's Defense.png

12. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pines on the bench as DC United travel to Toronto. Game is underway on TUDN USA and TUDN USA en vivo.

13. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cerrillo on for Servania in the 108th minute in Dallas.

14. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2639 autobus39, Oct 19, 2019
    Seattle win it in additional extra time 4-3 in a very intense entertaining game.

Cannon was not able to get a clearance away on a loose ball in the box on the winner as Morris is able to get a challenge in. Morris then jumps over Cerrillo to get the header in.

I though FC Dallas's thread eligible players played well.

Servania had two shots in a.e.t. from outside of the box that forced decent saves from Frei (though one was due to a deflection). Pomykal also had a late chance where he collected a ball out of the air in the box but fired right at the keeper.
    Pomykal and Cannon standing on the field staring into space minutes after the game ends.

Servania's passing is below (yellow is a pass that lead to a shot). He also registered 4 shots (2 on target). Servania Passing.png

On defense Servania had 5 recoveries (orange), 3 tackles (green), 2 interceptions (blue), and 1 clearance.
    Servania Defense.png

largegarlic repped this.
  15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pomykal signing an extension now tells me he lacks the ruthlessness to get overseas and continue his development curve more aligned with global standards. He’s ready for the next step but unwilling to take it at this point.

More he makes here the higher the required transfer fee. Unfortunately Almiron being a complete flop at Newcastle won’t help. Zero goals/assists in 19 Prem appearances.

Adams was bought by his sister club. Other than that there’s little confidence in MLS products.

Runhard and TarHeels17 repped this.
  16. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL host Portland at 10 eastern on ESPNews, ESPN Deportes, and Watch ESPN.

Herrera starts for RSL. Glad, Lennon, and Saucedo are on the bench.

Ebobisse starts for Portland.

17. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alphonso Davies seems to be doing fine. Almerion's situation with a poor Toon squad will not prevent teams from bidding on MLS talent. Pomeykal will move for a fair offer. I mean we have to assume professional scouts will be able to objectively judge talent, unlike hot take BS posters.

deejay, Pegasus, Mahtzo1 and 3 others repped this.
  18. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Several moments showing how talented Pomykal is.

If he pulled off that turnaround shot you’d see another 5 pages of discussion here.

I’m not bothered by his deal signing. If he shows more improvement next season then FCD won’t be able to hold onto him.

deejay, Pegasus and don Lamb repped this.
  19. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I don't think he lost his place...it sure would be ironic given the recent contract.

20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggest Pomykal is worth 5-7M right now on the global market and hasn't seen an equivalent bid due to low confidence in the MLS market(Davies an exception, withstanding).

You appear to think he's worth a fair amount less and should settle at a lower level for the time being.

Despite our NT being a mess and MLS development of Americans generally being poor, it's unfortunate some underrate the few genuine ballers who should have legit value on the global market here and now.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    To me this is Luchi wanting to start that midfield trio that had played so well against Colorado. I mean, if you look at Ferreira's passing charts...………..he's playing there like a #8. Not a #10 or a supporting striker of some kind.

You start Pomykal, then you have to bench either Servania or Ferreira. So for the purposes of this thread its six of one; half dozen of the other. I thought Servania played pretty darn well.

Overall, proud of this young FCD team and coaching staff. I can go on for pages about the mistakes I think Luchi made from a lineup and tactics standpoint yesterday. I think he "overthought" it. But the guys all fought their butts off, did well, and over the course of the entire game I can say that FCD may even have outplayed Seattle. A bounce here or there, and its a huge upset.

But anyway, this team met my expectations for this season. Super happy with the overall direction that the ownership, front office, and coaching staff have taken. They've talked the talk for a long time...…………….and went part of the way there under Pareja. But now they're totally walking the walk. Looking forward to next season.

Nothing has changed with Pomykal. FCD had two more contract option years anyway. All that's changed is Pomykal is gonna get paid a hell of a lot more. There's nothing that says Pomykal won't be transferred from the club should a reasonable bid be received. Reportedly, FCD has never received an official transfer bid for him. So...………………...

The transfer that's probably going to happen first is Reggie Cannon's. With great sadness and with great pride...………….I suspect that we saw Reggie's last game for FCD yesterday. Its the perfect time for him to now challenge himself in Europe.

Nelson and Reynolds move one wrung up the ladder next season, and then they've got some academy/NCAA fullbacks to sign as well.

Its too early for me to starting thinking about next year, though.

TCS35, Mahtzo1 and autobus39 repped this.
  22. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I'm surprised people are happy with Acosta's role in this team. I don't think he adds anything to the midfield that a homegrown player can't provide -- I just don't think he's that good. Badji needs to go (even though he might be the hardest to find an internal replacement for due to lack of wingers that FCD has produced). Hayes is not good enough. Cannon will probably leave. I'm not sure what the conclusion on Ondrasek's season is and whether or not Ferreira's move to the midfield is permanent and how much more ready Pepi will be in five months.

I'm extremely grateful for the project that FCD has going on. Glad they made the playoffs and won League 1, and I hope next year can be another big one for this homegrown initiative.

Pegasus repped this.
  23. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing in my previous post suggested a value for Pomeykal. You're creating arguments out of thin air.

I would also suggest assigning your biased feelings about MLS and the USMNT to professional football scouts that you don't know and don't seem to have a baseline understanding of how they perform their jobs is probably not the best way forward.

Stupid_American repped this.
  24. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This bothers me. They say this about every player like it's the only reason they aren't selling a player when we know that's not true. Dallas doesn't want Pomykal to leave. It's clear from the owners quotes about wanting to win a championship with all homegrowns that that's the case.

If you don't try to sell a player, you're not going to. It's pretty simple. RBNY understands that. Why doesn't Dallas? Cannon must be sold this window. Pomykal should be sold in the summer. But we all know that that isn't going to happen because Dallas is going to hold onto their players a little bit too long and then they'll find another excuse not to sell because Cannon/Pomykal get a 2 month injury or are out of form.

RBNY wanted to move Adams but he wanted to stay another year in New York before moving to Leipzig rather than moving to Salzburg immediately. Dallas is praying in their front office that their homegrowns stay until they retire and then join as youth coaches. There's a big difference there.