YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019/2020 Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 18, 2019.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    So far both Mendez and Ully look screwed up. I doubt Efra has any regrets of not signing with Kleiban.

2. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mendez possibly is just because Ajax is hard to break into but he should be just fine after they ship off all of their current midfield and promote the next wave. Uly won't get a first team debut this season as his club does not want to play youth but he either will get moved up to the first team in July or get moved somewhere that will play him. Out of all of the Kleiban kids Uly currently has the most value after bullying the german u19 league.

The biggest downside of Gary's representation is that the guys in Germany are getting terrible pay compared to other Americans of equal level like Josh Sargent and Gio Reyna. The sketchiest part of the Galaxy situation was that they went to Germany for significantly worse offers showing that there was a lot of outside influence for the decision.

Winoman and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think Mendez is getting promoted to Ajax. He might have a good career, but I doubt it's at Ajax. They don't promote that many players that a back up in their youth teams will make it into the first team.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  4. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I'd be careful with that. He has been there for 3 months. He was a kid with lots of family and friends in LA. He moved to Germany and knew nobody. Just when he was getting used to that, he moved to Amsterdam. Freiberg is completely different than LA and Amsterdam is completely different than both.

We are a bit spoiled with Adams and Pulisic and McKennie. Players don't always acclimate that quickly and our players without super elite athleticism will always take longer to get minutes. He seems very happy with Ajax and their plan for him.

Winoman repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That’s a nice story, but teams usually prioritize the development of their first team prospects. We aren’t talking about him not being in the first team yet. He’s not even a starter in the reserves. They have a plan for every player. It doesn’t mean every player will reach the first team. I hope I’m wrong, but I think being unable to make it into the starting XI quickly of the reserve team tells the story here.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  6. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kevin Paredes officially announced as a DC United HG player. Great signing for them.

ussoccer97531, autobus39, KUSA77 and 7 others repped this.
  7. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sebastian Berhalter has been signed by the Columbus Crew. He is a very under the radar player despite Gregg being his father. Let's hope Elton Chifamba will get signed as well.

8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #283 Smithsoccer1721, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    I doubt that will happen soon. We knew we were signing 2 which just happened. Secondly, Bez has basically said we aren’t signing anyone who isn’t going to compete for minutes now. That is especially true without it a USL team or current affiliate. I hope it does happen but seems a bit off in the future assuming he wants to play in MLS.

Crew plan Sebastian playing/developing into a #6 rather than what he played in the academy which was further forward.

David Kerr repped this.
  9. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't doubt thats the reasoning, but I think Chifamba and Sarver as 03's are closer to first team minutes than Morris and Berhalter. They are a lot better prospects, IMO.

Columbus needs to have a USL affiliate, otherwise they are going to start losing some of these better younger players in their academy. They are lucky that Keita didn't go abroad, they will be lucky to keep Zawadzki, and I think that players such as Chifamba, Sarver, Hall, Hernandez, Harms are going to be looking abroad in upcoming years. You can't force them to play college soccer. Many of these players want to be professionals immediately, so if you don't provide a pathway, they will look elsewhere. They might look elsewhere anyway.

11. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Morris will get plenty of minutes this year actually. I can see him being Nagbe’s backup since Trapp and Artur don’t play that position.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1217628211737219073 is not a valid tweet id

1217843942970052609 is not a valid tweet id

13. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The match report from Wednesday's NYCFC vs. Corinthians match, which ended 2-1 to Corinthians.

"Andres Jasson had the game's first opportunity for NYC inside the opening five minutes after making space at the top of the D, but his shot was always fading high and wide.

Like the players they replaced, the new-look NYCFC showed grit and quality to stay in the game and they earned their reward on 75' after good work from Julio Lansade, Niko Kapanadze and Colman Kim led to an own goal which halved the deficit."

NYCFC play Palmeiras today.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    WheezingUSASupport and autobus39 repped this.
  15. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    based on today maybe wicky was terrible

16. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYCFC Match Report. They fell 2-1 to Palmeiras.

NYCFC (1st Half) | Stuver, Tinnerholm, Chanot, Callens, Matarrita, Ring (C), Parks, Moralez (Jasson 6'), Mitriță, Mackay-Steven, De Rosario

NYCFC (2nd Half) | Barraza, Scally, Ibeagha, Sands, Rocha, Haak, Zelalem, Fatah (was actually Torres I think), Jasson (Lansade 82'), Fortune (Kim 88'), De Rosario (Kapanadze 68')

Young De Rosario, who more than held his own in an epic first half tussle with former Brazilian international Felipe Melo, saved his best moment for the 45th minute when he scored a goal he’ll never forget.

Mackay-Steven started the move, beating a defender and threading a ball through to Jasson, who dipped a shoulder and left his marker behind, before swinging in a glorious cross for De Rosario who thumped his header into the top corner of the net.

Juan Pablo Torres was one of those summoned from bench and the young American almost marked his appearance with a golazo of his own after he sat a defender and struck for goal, but his shot was just the wrong side of the post.

Different view of the NYCFC goal:

WheezingUSASupport and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Is Osaze a dual-nat or just Canadian?

I seem to recall reading long ago that Dwayne married someone he met while playing for the Richmond Kickers in his pre-MLS days and I think, but can't confirm, that she's American.

Further, if Osaze was born in 01, DeRo was playing for San Jose at the time so odds are pretty good he was born in the US.

But, one can't say for certain and even if he is a dual-nat, he may prefer to play for Canada.

18. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #293 autobus39, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    His USSDA profile lists him as Canadian only. However, @Brotheryoungbuck said earlier in this thread that he knew Dwayne's daughter when they were in DC and was 99% certain they were citizens. So that and the birth year logic you go through above is why I was tracking him, but I don't know for sure either.

Also, this is the alternate view of the goal I meant to post yesterday.

The second Palmeiras goal yesterday came directly from a James Sands turnover.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Summary of academy signings this off season to date by MLS clubs.

20. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    It’s all making less sense to me the deeper I think. There’s no chance we were talking about citizenship at 13 - 15, I probably assumed it because De Ro always played in the US or maybe she did tell me. I’m also trying to remember why I thought they were Dominican, maybe the wife was. But Dwayne was Guyanan, which confuses me more about why he pretty much only spoke Spanish. Also I was going to reach out to the daughter but it’s like she hasn’t used her social media in years, i looked more into it and De Ro doesn’t even have social media now.

edit: just found some social media for De Ro but the kids don’t really have active social.

autobus39 repped this.
  21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    A little Internet sleuthing shows Mrs. DeRo has a Nigerian-sounding maiden name. Whether she was born there or is Nigerian-American, I don't know.

It also appears per her Linkedin that she moved to New York for work last March, which looks to be about the time the kid joined the NYCFC academy.

autobus39 repped this.
  22. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    The daughter also spoke Italian if that helps anything, or adds to confusion.

dougtee repped this.
  23. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hearts announced today that Kevin Silva ('98 goalkeeper) has transferred to Toronto FC. He spent the first half of the 2019 USL League One season on loan with Toronto FC II.

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    MNUFC just acquired Jacori Hayes for a third-round pick in 2021, which I guess settles at least partially some questions about the depth chart in Dallas.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. A necessary move in order for Thomas Roberts to move a wrung up the ladder. Hayes played 19 games last season, including the playoff game against Seattle. Jacori is a good MLS level player, but also a replaceable one. Good dude. The move also opens up a senior roster slot in case they want to sign anybody.

I'll wait to do a depth chart analysis after all of the transfer window moves are made. All sorts of other rumors are out there of players coming and going.