YNT-Eligible MLS Players: 2018 In-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 20, 2018.

1. PhillyJawn_guy

PhillyJawn_guy Red Card

York 9 FC
    United States
    Nov 17, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is worthless as a soccer league. Can we please stop focusing on MLS players? None of them should be considered for national team unless they move abroad.

2. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I am willing to bet you actually don't know much about MLS... or "Europe" for that matter. Andrew Carleton, for example, has had a better coach and is in a better 18 than what 95% of European teams could offer. Tyler Adams is a pure bred MLS product and looks on par with McKennie and Pulisic at the moment. despite not getting the same Bundesliga or Champs League experience as them.

3. PhillyJawn_guy

PhillyJawn_guy Red Card

York 9 FC
    United States
    Nov 17, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can count on 1 hand the no. of min. Carleton got based on the games I watched this season. Adams and McKennie are outliers, not the norm. Armenia has Mkhitaryan but they're still a minnow.

4. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not often I put someone on ignore, but when I do it's because they're batshit crazy.

Lookingforleftbacks and don Lamb repped this.
  5. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    TCS35, Anderson11, TxEx and 1 other person repped this.
  6. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yesssssss

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Is that good?

8. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If they hire a scrub MLS journey guy yes.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Is it good? Yes

Could they hire someone who could be as bad? Yes

Tom Collingsworth and TCS35 repped this.
  10. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    If Luchi is Oscar's replacement, would think that could potentially be great news for their youngsters.

Tom Collingsworth, Panache and TCS35 repped this.
  11. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I like Pareja the person. He says all the right things about US players and play your kids but at times he's failed to follow through and his teams are not that fun to watch unless you catch them on the right night. I won't be sad to see him go but will also wish him well as I think he's done a lot to help FCD grow. He's also championed MLS when so many crap all over it.

This came out of the blue though. Wonder who's going to replace him. You would think FCD would be bound and determined to hire someone who is going to play their kids. Also wonder if this affects who they protect in expansion Hayes, instead of Ulloa, and who they don't bring back at all next season.

12. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    He was set to coach the USL team, now I wonder if they bring him on to coach MLS and hire someone else to coach USL.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. TCS35

TCS35 Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I would not say it came out of the blue. However, Luchi would be a massive improvement if that is the case.

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. TCS35

TCS35 Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    When you announce that you are taking staff with you and going to a place where Fabian Castillo is.....that is “NOT out of the Blue” or pure “coincidence”. I can also say, many knew this was coming but perhaps it did not filter down to the academy level.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #3015 Clint Eastwood, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Keep in mind that THE MOST OBVIOUS replacement for Pareja in the eyes of the local media is former FCD/Dallas burn legend Jason Kreis. 2nd choice? Caleb Porter. So I'll just warn all of those dancing on Pareja's grave...………...to be careful what they're wishing for. Both of those guys did squadoosh in terms of work with young players in previous jobs. [Internal candidates are Luchi Gonzalez and Marco Ferruzzi. Gonzalez is more likely to take over the USL team. Ferruzzi has been a long-time assistant of Pareja's that isn't moving to Tijuana.]

Keep in mind that Oscar Pareja has provided BY FAR the most minutes to homegrown players over the past 5 seasons. BY FAR. Not close. Whatever one might think about his handling of individual players recently (despite the fact that FCD finished 3rd in thread eligible minutes in 2018), overall he has been one of the biggest proponents of the initiative in MLS. And of course Pareja was the architect of the FCD academy that's been producing these players. He built it from nothing in 2007. Pareja's sphere of influence covers a TON of USMNT and USYNT players. [Also let's not forget his work with young players in Colorado before FCD poached him.]

I would also argue that without FCD under Pareja (and NYRB) lapping the field in terms of homegrown minutes to players a few years ago while also challenging for trophies...…………………….other clubs in the league wouldn't have followed. Totally crucial for the initiative league wide.

So now we see if FCD is able to hire a coach/GM combo (lest we forget, Fernando Clavijo has left his post as well) that can take their academy initiative to the "next level." Because it had lost momentum over the last two seasons. There's no debating that. To me the finger can be pointed to the Hunts on that one just as much as Clavijo/Pareja. It was the Hunts' decision not to start a USL team until 2019.

Its pure coincidence that Tijuana is where Fabian Castillo is :)

5 years is a good stretch at a club for an MLS coach. As an FCD fan I see 4 playoff appearances in 5 years, with three conference semifinals. Plus two trophies (SS, USOC), and deep run to the CCL semifinal (where they gave eventual champs Pachuca everything they could handle). This isn't one of the big money teams in MLS.

But...…………...turnover is good. All good things must come to an end.
    And I think FCD fans new this was coming. Some thought it might come last off-season.

And this is also a nice step up in opportunity for Pareja.
    In this US we don't just want to be promoting and developing players. We also want to be promoting and developing coaches. Lest we forget, Pareja isn't Tata Martino. He has been completely developed in the US as a coach, and has now gotten a really good, high profile job in Mexico. Nothing to sneeze at there. I think that Oscar Pareja is a US citizen now (his son certainly is), so this is an American coach getting a job overseas. If he was American-born, people would be making a big deal about this move.

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this explains why OP didn't play as much youth as we thought he would. He was trying like crazy to get a title and knew he had one or two years to do it. The funny thing is he probably would have done better playing more kids.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't know if it would have been better...............just different.

What we can say is that FCD wasn't the same after Mauro Diaz tore his achilles in the penultimate game of 2016. Without that "magic unicorn" in the middle at the height of his powers, they were just kinda "blah." Nothing dynamic in attack. It didn't matter who was playing: Kids, vets. in-their-prime guys. Plan B without the great Mauro Diaz never materialized.

I'm basically on board with these comments by Parchman. I imagine there is no coach directly responsible for MORE Americans playing professionally right now than Oscar Pareja. I'd be happy to be proven wrong. There is no Weston McKennie without Oscar Pareja. So while he has his flaws and his drawbacks, I don't quite know why people are so happy to see him leave the league. The notion that the next regime in Dallas (both GM & coach) will have more of a youth development focus than Pareja/Clavijo is wishful thinking gone mad.

Smithsoccer1721 and TCS35 repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    More coaching news:

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I guess we now know Earnie wasn't at least all (maybe not at all) to blame for Curtin.

20. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    What a crap lineup from Atlanta for our youths their for the game today. No Carleton and no Bello. Will definitely be rooting for NYRBs today.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  21. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tyler Adams starts for NYRB.

Miles Robinson and Brandon Vazquez are on the bench for Atlanta.

22. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeremy Ebobisse starts for Portland. Busio on the bench for SKC.

23. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
  24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if he would live up that tweet if he takes over a team. My question is because I thought Hyndman and Porter as former college coaches used to working with young players didn't play many.

Winoman repped this.
  25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Perhaps the better question when a coach is signed is what the coach's boss wants, since they're the ones bankrolling the roster building and budgeting strategy. (And, of course, that can shift over time, if for example a young team has matured and management might think the focus should change toward adding the right pieces around them.) You'd think you'd hire a coach whose skills and experience match the kind of team you'd like to build and its stage in the life cycle of a squad.

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.