YNT-eligible MLS players: 2017/18 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    TheFalseNine repped this.
  2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many players can mls stockpile on the bench for us to gripe about this year. :)

kba4life1 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  3. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Let's just change the thread to YNT eligible Central and South American signings this offseason. They'll be lots of activity, at least!

Patrick167 repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #4 Clint Eastwood, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Recent feature on Pax. One the more intriguing roster questions this off-season is how FCD sets up competition in central midfield. And do they see Pax as a #8 or a #10. Problem is that they have Diaz and Acosta in those positions. So hopefully Pax enters spring camp as a primary bench option and in full rotation.

TCS35 repped this.
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Among players whose seasons recently ended, NYCFC's Jonathan Lewis ended with about 350 minutes spread over 11 appearances (4 starts). He showed flashes but obviously didn't cement a spot for himself on what was a pretty veteran team. Things will probably look pretty different next season in Yankee Stadium. It would seem like has has an opportunity to take a big step forward.

6. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    USSoccerNova, ielag, Real Corona and 5 others repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Mahtzo1 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Just a thought about the latest USMNT roster and homegrown/MLS academies. There aren't as many former academy/homegrown players as one would hope, and they're clustered at mostly New York and Dallas (6 of the 8). That's not totally surprising, but one would hope for breadth there. [Also partly due to the ongoing MLS playoffs, but not really. Trapp, Morris, but not many others there.] This is supposed to be a young and experimental roster, and MLS should be able to offer more. Just my 2 cents.

DCU (Bill Hamid)
    FC Dallas (Gonzalez, Acosta, McKennie)
    NYRB (Miazga, Adams, Agudelo)
    Seattle (Yedlin)

11. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Tbf, my biggest gripe with this roster is no Danilo Acosta and no Glad. I think a lot of people share that feeling too. So there’s others who should be or could be here.

12. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    I'm OK without Acosta. I thought he was good, and an excellent prospect given that he just turned 20 yesterday, but I never thought he was one of the best LBs in the league. I'd have liked to see him if the roster was heavy on potential, but for a 21 man roster, there are other LBs that are ahead of him.

Glad I don't get, because he actually was one of the best CBs in the league. I can't fathom why Tim Ream got called in over him.

13. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Don't you know that mediocre experience in a meaningless friendly matters more than actual talent on the field?

14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the idea of Ream is that he is a good locker room guy that can help the younger CBs. Can’t have ONLY prospects in a camp.

15. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I came here to post exactly this.

From that video, I can't discern much. He seems to make good runs and has a good build, also seems to be a striker, but thats all I can take from that. I've read good things about this guy, but haven't seen much myself. Has anyone seen much of Mines who could comment on what type of player he is?

17. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen much, but he's always been around as the next Red Bulls guy (Tyler Adams said so a few months ago as well). He's more of a second striker, and is just the level of guy that NYRB can turn into something useful that the rest of the league seems incapable of doing (think Muyl).

I'm surprised all of the footage is from a single youth game, but I guess that's what Eskilson had to work with. Mines has scored a couple USL goals and has more than enough minutes to work with. If he's signed to a homegrown contract, I'd assume his minutes distribution will be similar to Adams last year, with a couple run outs in MLS and cementing his place on NYRBII.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Everybody is with you on Glad. With three other young/youngish CBs called in with CCV/Miazga/Brooks (all U24), I think the staff just wanted a veteran option for the rotation. Ream also provides depth at LB if needed.

Both Glad and EPB will get an opportunity moving forward.

Another young CB thought.......................Orlando finally did what @ussoccer97531 has been demanding for years They've declined their option on Seb Hines. Hopefully that means Redding moves one step up in the rotation in terms of minutes.

irondeepbicycle and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Redding needs a consistent starting role, he's ready for it, that was a smart decision. He's fallen behind these other three, but he's still an MLS starter level player for next season, and I think we underrate him because we are comparing him to these other three.

irondeepbicycle repped this.
  20. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    3 months is right around when preseason starts, 4 months right around when the season starts. As long as there are no problems, he should be fine, can't be used as an excuse to not give him regular minutes next season.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    still too early to speculate on minutes for Ferreira next season. He’s still only 16 by the way. It’s Cannon and Pomykal that need minutes ASAP.

FCD has CCL games early next year before the MLS season. I expect is perhaps out of those. Yes. It’s inane that FCD is only then in the CCL for winning the SS in 2016. It puts FCD in a weird spot. They kinda need to start over, but they also want to give the CCL their best shot.

23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Is there an LA Galaxy Post Mortem thread?

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #24 Clint Eastwood, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    More FCD info from their post-season training camp....................
    Lots of youngsters with academy players filling holes in the scrimmage.

Gray Team
    Maxi Urruti
    Ryan Hollingshead Mauro Diaz Bryan Reynolds
    Chris Cappis Jacori Hayes
    Alex Bautista Rula Holland Matt Hedges Reggie Cannon
    Seth Wilson

Orange Team

Tesho Akindele Cristian Coleman
    Roland Lamah Paxton Pomykal
    Diego Pareja Edwin Cerrillo
    Julian Hinojosa Chris Richards Walker Zimmerman Adonijah Reid
    Carlos Avilez

Some comments from Buzz

Bryan Reynolds is a Grown Ass Man (trademark Eddie Johnson). He's such an immense physical presence. Big, fast, powerful, intimidating, but with some skills on the ball. He really wants to go at people. He was almost never in FCD camp last season, I expect a significant contribution next year.

Reggie Cannon is ready to take the next step. I'll be shocked if he isn't the right back for all of next season.

He also speaks highly of both Cappis and Chris Richards. One will notd the absence of Coy Craft........................

Worth noting that Pareja mentions these are players under contract for 2018. It doesn't mean guys not there aren't going to be re-signed.

One other thing, Dan Hant went on a Facebook Live chat with fans and talked about a commitment to playing young Americans again.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Seth Wilson is an '02 keeper. I mentioned him yesterday in the Nike Friendlies thread. He's 6'3 already, he was called up to the practice instead of Collodi, might be that Collodi couldn't play, but Collodi's an '01 YNT player, so if he has, thats rather impressive. He probably doesn't have much relevance to this thread yet, but could in a year or two.

Interesting that he mentioned they are looking at 5 or 6 academy kids for the first team roster. Richards, Cappis, Padilla, Toledo, Roberts, Almaguer could be among those names, IMO.