YNT-eligible lower-division pro players: 2019 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Luksarus, Mar 9, 2019.

1. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Where is this coming from? I would think most people hold the exact opposite opinion.

Edit - sorry for the duplicate...just noticed the post above.

Stupid_American repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know who are most, but I've talked to people that agree with me about this.

Gonzalez as a youth coach in the academy of Dallas played some ugly football from what I saw. I don't usually notice this because I'm more concentrated on watching the players and as I mentioned its hard to take much from coaching and tactics at these lower levels, but it was evident how ugly the football they played was. Very little impetus to possess the ball. A lot of high pressing, they booted the ball under pressure in their own third, and I noticed that a lot of the better possession players in the squad were usually bench players. His teams also didn't get good results either, and Dallas has had the best talent in their academy teams, so they should be expected to get great results. These weren't untalented age groups either.

When he was hired as the MLS coach, I mentioned that I don't mind it because I'd rather see young Americans get on the field with bad coaching than not get on the field with average coaching. What did de Boer or Martino being hired do for the young Americans at Atlanta? Nothing, so getting on the field is the most important thing for these players. Dallas has had a lot of moving parts in their organization in recent years. I don't think its so clear that they had an MLS level coach in their organization after Pareja left. I'm not convinced all of their academy coaches are qualified at those levels either. They've been moving a lot of pieces around.

Even watching Gonzalez coaching this season, he's turned Pomykal into a system-robot where he's asked to play a role thats unnatural to him. This ultra-high pressing role that eliminates a lot of his offense and turns him into a worker bee is something he didn't play prior. The kid is very talented, and a lot don't see it because they are content with Pomykal being a worker bee.

I'm not going to complain too much because usually we don't see MLS coaches use young Americans as much as Gonzalez does. He's benefited our player development a lot in that regard, but his teams play anti-football, IMO.

Runhard repped this.
  3. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Fair enough, I guess. That said, I have seen his teams play close to 100 matches and I just don't agree with you.

For me, anti-football, or negative football relies on getting everyone behind the ball, defend and then run out when you win the ball. This is not and never has been his style.

He is definitely possession based and doesn't quite commit the numbers forward as much as I would like when they get possession, but to call him anti-football is just not accurate - nor was it when he coached in the Academy. FCD is in the top 10 of possession stats, and top 2 in pass completion %. They are 5th in the league in total passes per 90, but 13th in total key passes per 90. If you are referring to their attack, then I may somewhat see what you are talking about. I would like to see them take some more risks, even if that means losing the ball more often.

As for Pomykal, my opinion is also completely opposite. Pomykal gets a much freedom as any player in the league and is afforded the opportunity to pick the ball up in any area of the pitch. There are times when he chases the game and comes too deep for my liking, but I can't fault a guy for wanting to get on the ball. In fact, his entire philosophy is based around the freedom of the central midfield players. This is changing a bit now that the points really matter and we are seeing Acosta be the designated sitter, but this is a recent revelation.

I won't say you are wrong, because people see things differently, but I'm finding it difficult to see your side on this.

Stupid_American and don Lamb repped this.
  4. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This article is behind a paywall, but the author has said that it's actually 3 west coast and 1 east coast team, with the east coast team not existing yet. He then mentioned the west coast teams to include Los Dos and P2, but not Tacoma. I'll guess it's the Monarchs.

For the not-yet-existing east coast team, I'm pretty sure it's the Revs with all the rumors out there about them getting one next year. It shows that while people might not like Bruce as a coach, he's great for these organizations.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  5. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    That doesn't seem to line up with how RSL uses the Monarchs, but who knows. Has there been any talk of San Jose creating their own team? Would seem like a good time to do it with League 1 expanding on the west coast and Almeyda in charge. I would guess LAFC2 is a couple of years off....

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    North Texas SC beat Richmond Kickers 4-0 last night. Don't know the Richmond players, but I see '98 Ryley Kraft there. [Also some USYNT names from the past! Conor Shanosky!) Damus, the Haitian youngster that played for FCD's U19s last season, with three goals and an assist. He recently has gotten senior Haiti caps. He'll be the leading scorer in USL League One this season by a wide margin. 2nd right now is 18 year old Canadian Jordan Perruzza of TFC2. Pepi is now tied for 3rd.

North Texas SC —Jimmy Maurer; Jonothan Gomez, Callum Montgomery, Brecc Evans, Imanoal Almaguer; Bicou Bissanthe (Alfusainey Jatta — 61’), Gibran Rayo Jacori Hayes (David Rodriguez — 46’); Arturo Rodriguez, Ronaldo Damus(Dante Sealy— 78’), Richard Danso.

Substitutes not used Carlos Avilez, Cesar Murillo, Oscar Romero, Cesar Garcia.

Richmond Kickers — Akira Fitzgerald; Scott Thomsen, Ivan Magalhaes, Conor Shanosky, Wahab Ackwei; Maxi Rodriguez, Jannik Eckenrode, Ryley Kraft; Mutaya Mwape (Justin Grove — 79’), Daniel Jackson (Charles Boateng — 46’), Dennis Chin (Luke Pavone — 70’).

Substitutes not used — Joe Rice, Josh Hughes, Eli Lockaby.

Scoring Summary:
    NTSC:
    Ronaldo Damus (Danso) — 1’
    NTSC: Ronaldo Damus (Rodriguez) — 30’
    NTSC: Arturo Rodriguez (Damus) — 70’
    NTSC: Ronaldo Damus — 77’

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Here's '98 Arturo Rodriguez' goal from last night. I can't see how he won't be signed to the FCD first team next year. Somebody like Jacori Hayes will leave, and Arturo will sign for the first team. He's going to be the USL League 1 MVP. [Of course there's Tessman that they have to figure out too.]

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Listed to a podcast on USL League One the other day and they were saying that Arturo Rodriguez has been dominating the league and the only team that have been able to slow him down have had to man-mark him the entire game.

You don't hear much about him because he doesn't rake up the goals and isn't a HGP yet, but sounds like he has put together and very impressive season.

It would be interesting to see how NTSC A line-up with fair in USL Championship.

9. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wrong, it's a new team in Riverside backed by Roma. So it's just other three. Reno is San Jose's affiliate, as they own the technical side of the club.

don Lamb repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1171611891195613184 is not a valid tweet id

Pl@ymaker, don Lamb and USSoccerNova repped this.
  11. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Has Arturo ever been called into a national team for any country?

Good to see JOGO still getting minutes even though he has not signed anything with FCD or NTX. Would be great if FCD had two tracks of players: The ones like JOGO and Tanner to move towards Europe young, and sign players like Arturo and Imalgar to the NTXSC deals and let them develop here.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't believe Arturo has played for the US or Mexico at any level. But his is an odd case, right? He came in late to the FCD academy. I'm not sure he even played with them for a full calendar year. He got there, and scored 8 goals in 13 games (including that one to beat Monterrey in the Dallas Cup Supergroup final). I don't think he would have even qualified as a homegrown signing. Then he completely disappeared for 2018 (I guess he was training with FCD sporadically) before signing for NTSC in 2019. To me, this performance level in USL One was completely unexpected.

The problem for Jonathan Gomez is he only turned 16 this month. He's got a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time to go before he can move anywhere. How patient will FCD be if he continues to reject contract offers? How long will they provide him opportunities with NTSC instead of others that may make the commitment? What if Eddie Munjoma of SMU signs an NTSC deal next year? What about Brandon Terwege, who can play all along the backline? How about Hinojosa, if he has a solid freshman year at UNC? Do they think about signing him?

13. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    True the first time I saw Arturo was when he subbed on I the DC final and hit the banger on the counter for the winning goal. He has a natural ability to shoot.

I continue to think JOGO has the upper hand in the deal with FCD. They will play him even if he refuses the deal as they want to keep him in the fold. He has enough of a reputation that the price tag starts a lot higher for him than the others you mentioned. Plus, pretty sure he now has a lot of contacts in Europe after his brother is making his way over there.

Would probably be smart for FCD to offer JOGO a deal of around 200K for the next two years with a two year option. That might be a good deal for all parties as FCD could then sell him at 18 and make money off him.

Pegasus repped this.
  14. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incredible how comfortable he is with his right.

Pl@ymaker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You don't have to sell me on your terms there. That's the kind of salary number you're going to have to get to if you want to sign players like Tessman and JOGO. It would probably be the length of the contract that would be most debated.

Interestingly, I saw Diego Letayf training with the first team the other day. We don't talk about him because he's not US-eligible, but he's another one they might want to lock up.

Are you hearing anything about Kevin Bonilla? He's the kind of player I'd put in the Almaguer category of kid they should be able to sign on a USL deal first. Although he just gained a tad bit of leverage with that USYNT callup.

16. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

Adding to this, the problem with those other players you mentioned (Munjoma, Terwege, Hinijosa) is their window for being sold is closing rapidly. Not too many four year guys in college like Munjoma and Terwege are going to be worth a whole lot when they are 23 and playing in USL. Hinijosa could sign next year but even with him his National team call ups seem to have dried up and his overall value is much lower than a 16 year old wonderkid. Let's see how FCD plays it.

17. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Only thing I have heard is Bonilla and Tessman have both turned down USL deals. Will see where they play this year (DA or USL team).

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Peter Bonetti repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This guy is good. He should be on an MLS contract next season and can definitely play a role with the U-20's this cycle.

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    '98 Arturo Rodriguez goal for North Texas SC last night. Egads. Gotta sign him up to an MLS deal. Like pronto. That's the point of the USL team. Too good for this level.
    1173065276017037317 is not a valid tweet id

North Texas SC clinched the regular season crown (such as it is) in USL League One last night and have home field throughout the playoffs.

Lineup last night for their 2-1 win against South Georgia.

North Texas SC Carlos Avilez, Imanoal Almaguer, Callum Montgomery, Brecc Evans, Bryan Reynolds; Alfusainey Jatta(David Rodriguez — 75’), Thomas Roberts, Arturo Rodriguez; Dante Sealy Oscar Romero — 81’), Ronaldo Damus, Richard Danso(Cesar Murillo — 90’ +2’).

Substitutes not used — Eduardo Cortez, Hector Montalvo.

autobus39 repped this.
  22. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Nelson Martinez is a 01 and he’s not at school so he is at least taking a gap year from going to college. I had heard his goal is to go pro.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Sota Kitahara, 03, made his debut with a start for Tacoma Defiance last night.

ckajMonet and TarHeels17 repped this.
  24. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Carleton is coming back from illness (he was only subbed on at the half for Atlanta 2), but managed to score once again.