YNT-eligible lower-division pro players: 2018 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 13, 2018.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Ethan Bryant was all "Suck it, narrative!" and scored the goal that ended up representing the gamewinner for San Antonio.

https://www.sanantoniofc.com/news_article/show/954464

Tom Collingsworth and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the narrative is that S2 is super young and academy-heavy, not that they are good at winning USL games. I’d think they’d be a good candidate for D3, though I understand waiting for there to be more West Coast representation first.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I know. I just found the whole thing worthy of 10 seconds spent writing a smartalecky post. I may not agree with everything I post here but I will fight to defend my right to post it.

6. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I saw that line-up and it is great to get these players some experience, but how good is the experience to get creamed every week. They only lost 3-1. I guess it is sort of trial by fire in the defense, but how much of the ball do they get in the attacking third?

They seem like a prime candidate for DIII sitting on 20 points, but perhaps they want to ride this crew in USL and hope they improve with age and minutes. Portland was sort of in the same boat last year and will make the playoffs this year.

7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a related note, YNT players on T2 have played about 33% fewer minutes in 2018 even though everyone is a year older and a year more experienced.

8. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Patrick Okonkwo is one to keep an eye on. He's a '98, Atlanta United homegrown on loan at Charleston Battery. Was mainly a player off the bench for them up until the last few months when he's become a regular starter, and he's now scored 5 goals in his last 6 appearences. He's listed as Nigerian, but he's been in the United States for a long time so much so that he doesn't speak with any trace of an accent, so he shouldn't have too many problems getting citizenship, if he doesn't already have it.

9. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Patrick and his brother came to the US without legal status from Nigeria through Jamaica as teenagers, but were legally adopted by a teammates family at Georgia United in 2013.

How that translates into US citizenship, I have no ideal?

10. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
  11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle players currently under contract:

1997: Bwana
    1998: Hopeau
    1999: Rogers
    2001: Gonzalez, Vargas, Diaz
    2002: Robles, Serrano, Ocampo-Chavez

Who's next?

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Diaz is more of a #9.

ckajMonet repped this.
  13. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Hinds should be on this list too but this really is a pretty astounding situation for a team. You would have to guess they want to sign Atencio but maybe he’s been harder to sign. Maybe the Khai Brisco kid, he’s played quiet a few games. I have no idea what kind of prospects they have in the NCAA besides that one keeper but they also have Fowler.

Tom Collingsworth and Balerion repped this.
  14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot about Hinds!

Atencio is a good call. So is Brisco, and so is Fowler who seems to be taking a gap year to stay with the Sounders academy for one more season.

Another option could be Blake Malone '01, a CB who has played a bit with S2 this year. Dylan Teves '00 is a CM who played fairly regularly in the USL in the first half the year before going off to college, but he's only coming off the bench for U Dub.

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  15. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Muse is worth a homegrown contract. Leyva will probably sign a USL deal eventually.

The magnitude of their success is fairly absurd. If even half of these '01 and later kids are useful at MLS level, Seattle is a completely revamped franchise. And why should that pipeline ever slow down? It doesn't seem like it will.

These articles that the Sounders have put out recently are blueprints for other MLS teams. Every team can learn something from them right now. If Seattle can do this with a bunch of Washington kids and a few kids from other parts of the west coast, why can't Portland do anything? This groups of Sounders just shows how far below maximum efficiency MLS academies operate.

Part 1 is here:
    https://www.soundersfc.com/post/201...one-best-youth-systems-united-states-scouting

Parts 2 and 3 can be accessed from in there.

16. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    97 - Bwana (Seattle), Hinds (Plantation, FL)
    98 - Hopeau (Hawaii)
    99 - Rogers (Seattle)
    01 - Gonzalez (Las Vegas), Vargas (Bakersfield), Diaz (Seattle)
    02 - Robles (Seattle), Serrano (Moses Lake, WA), Ocampo-Chavez (Merced, CA)

5 from WA - 4 from Seattle area, 1 from remote rural area
    2 from CA
    1 from NV
    1 from HI
    1 from FL

17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's some recruitment evident in some of their amateur guys who may or may not get a contract down the line.

Dylan Teves is from Hawaii.
    Jake Morris is from Fort Lauderdale.
    Trey Muse is from Louisville.
    Blake Malone and Danny Leyva are from Las Vegas.

Their U17 championship squad also had players from Orange County, New Hampshire, and another guy from the same Bakersfield club that Vargas came from.

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't know.
    But we have had children adopted as refugees who seemed to go thru the citizenship process really quickly. Alfred Koroma stands out.

19. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @zlebmada’s Tweet:

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    New name for USL team in talent rich El Paso revealed. I can see FCD and Houston loaning some players there.......................although El Paso is closer to California than it is to Dallas. :)

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    A nice column on Jesus Ferreira's experiences in the USL this season:
    [Still not technically US eligible I guess, but I treat him like he is :)]

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I mean, they should be!

If I understand the "structure" correctly, this is essentially second-level "high amateur," technically equivalent to high local premier ball (a level I played a few games at, to the great disservice to the game) and below PDL/NPSL, though it seems more organized in many ways. (So, roughly, fifth division if you assume D3 is up and running.)

This feels like a potentially important rung in the ladder, and it surely hasn't been optimized yet. A lot of local premier is basically labor of love ball, with dudes like (younger) me running the teams. It's a big step up to what UPSL seems to be trying.

24. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diaz, Vargas, Malone, and Gonzalez all start for S2.

25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As did Hinds and Hopeau.

Gonzalez scored:

Tom Collingsworth and ShaftBrewer repped this.