YNT-eligible lower-division pro players: 2018 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I don't see any reason that there wouldn't be scholarships given out.
    Most likely they would have at least two, maybe three levels of teams including a top "Academy" made up of a combination of scholarship and non scholarship players. the lower levels may also have one or two scholarships as well as is done in most of the pay for play clubs that I am aware of. (scholarships are not only available for best players on the best teams but also for good players on the lower level teams)

USSoccerNova repped this.
  2. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, CFC's owner is not interested in USL?? The way it's being framed on reddit and social media is that someone who lives in California got the team because he has more money or something, so people are pretty against this team

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that part is left out of the conversation. CFC's owner doesn't like USL's business model. Clearly other executives at CFC disagreed - that's why the GM jumped ship to the USL group.

On the one hand, I don't have that much sympathy for CFC's owner because he's been playing footsie with vaporware like NISA and now NPSL Pro instead of getting real about the only minor league with a semblance of stability (for the last 4-5 years, anyway - obviously the USL has a very checkered history beyond that).

On the other hand, it's not exactly ideal to start in such an acrimonious atmosphere. It will be more poisonous if USL Chattanooga gets control of Finley Stadium where CFC has been playing.

CFC fans are very Mad Online. The question is, how big & influential a part of the fanbase are they?

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see, huh well that is a tough situation for everyone involved. This almost feels like what it'd be like if Detroit got another team. I imagine if the USL team does well in Chattanooga than Detroit might be next. FIngers crossed it does well though.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    USL Austin (expansion 2019) got a name and three players. (None of the players are thread-eligible.)

Austin Bold FC was introduced to the North American soccer landscape on Friday morning as the side based in the capital of Texas that is set to join the USL for the 2019 season unveiled its brand and jerseys at a ceremony at the Circuit of The Americas.​

6. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That story is confusing (to me, at least) and definitely does not say that he has signed a pro contract with the Bold. It sounds like he might get one between now and next season, or he might move to their academy (or, I guess, a club-affiliated academy or something), or ... ?

TheFalseNine repped this.
  8. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, confusing to say the least. :) Something to keep an eye on.

9. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

Interesting. Wonder if this new USL team will have anything to do with the Columbus Crew if it moves to Austin? An affiate?

The latest I heard was Gaines was moving to FCD this Fall and he was going to be on their U19 DA team. I guess that didn't work out. From the article it sounds like he will train with them, sign a pro deal in the Spring and by then they (USL TEAM) will be affiliated with a DA team somewhere. Dallas Texans, Lonestar, Solar ??

10. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #560 ChuckMe92, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    '01 Ethan Bryant starts again for San Antonio.

Edit: apparently he almost scored, then he won the corner that led to San Antonio's first goal.

Another edit: and he gets an assist on their second goal.

11. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It would be nice to see RSL, NYRB, Philly Union sign him after this season, and see if Bryant can perform against MLS competition.

Given where he's from, if he was to sign with an MLS club, it would likely be FCD, which would be terrible for his career.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  13. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Can that even happen? Or would there be some stupid allocation order he’s subjected to?

14. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Ethan Bryant someone I should be watching? Can someone with a little bit of knowledge fill me in on how he plays?

15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rowdies released Matias Reynares in July along with Brazilian defender Ivan Magalhaes.

http://www.theunsubs.com/wp/2018/07/20/rowdies-release-magalhaes-reynares/3994

Apparently they lived together, but Magalhaes was charged with aggravated assault after beating up Reynares. It's obvious why Magalhaes was released. The fact that Reynares was released too suggests there's more to the story.

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I can't answer these questions, but it doesn't seem crazy that he'd be worth a YNT look. He hasn't been brought in since 2015, I think.

Anderson11 repped this.
  17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, a U18 call up could be in order.

There are only two 2001s signed to MLS deals (Akanyirige and Reynolds) and neither have played. In the USL, the only other 2001s to play more than a handful of minutes are Llanez (LA), Malone (SEA), and Gonzalez (SEA).

There aren't that many 2001s making waves abroad yet (in part because most American 2001s can't legally sign abroad yet).

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #568 Clint Eastwood, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    This is a little bit of a weird one. I don't think Ethan Bryant is actually under contract with San Antonio. He's part of their SAFC Academy Elite Training Program, and I think he's on a USL academy contract.

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/...-investing-in-teen-soccer-phenom-12911407.php

Since he's only on an academy contract, I think he can move to any MLS academy on a free. San Antonio isn't in either Houston's or FCD's homegrown territory. So if he wanted to move to an MLS academy, then he could go anywhere in the nation. If he moves to an MLS academy, then he has to be there for a year until he can sign a contract.

upload_2018-8-6_10-36-55.png

So if he's not on a USL contract, that also means he can't just sign a contract with any MLS club he wants to. They can't offer a transfer fee to San Antonio as he's not under a pro contract at San Antonio. I guess my conclusion is that if he wanted to sign straight with an MLS first team (if an MLS club also has interest)...................then he'd have to go thru some sort of weighted lottery or allocation process. Korey Veeder style if people remember that kid from Crystal Palace Baltimore.....................

Then again I don't know why he'd want to leave San Antonio.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I went back and watched the match. I don't even think it'll matter. Bryant was very unimpressive. If a big deal wasn't being made, I wouldn't even consider him notable. He tried to connect passes in a #10 role, but he barely got on the ball, and when he got it, he rarely made any plays. He didn't even seem to have much capability to make plays. Call him up to a U-18 camp though. Why not?

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think what is good, though, is that some independent USL clubs are really making efforts in the youth development arena. Whether Bryant ever ends up developing or not, the groundwork is being laid for youngsters at the club.

San Antonio is a relatively untapped market for soccer talent in this country even though the demographics are perfect for it. Young, diverse, etc.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He hasn't signed a pro contract according to Texas insiders. One of those USL amateur deals we were just talking about with Ethan Bryant.

So that means he's also eligible to move to the Crew academy if they come down to Austin...…………………..

22. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Servania started for Tulsa tonight and was alright. He had some moments that made you think he's above USL, but also a bunch of frustrating ones. His movement was particularly irritating.

Ferreira subbed in at the 60 minute mark and actually played in midfield. He looked good. It was also nice to see him actually get on the ball for once. Just watching him at this level makes me think that he could easily get more minutes for Dallas.

KUSA77, ielag, Pl@ymaker and 1 other person repped this.
  23. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    I hope Ferreira gets his citizenship soon

Pl@ymaker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Isn't it once he turns 18? That would be in December, if so.

He wouldn't be eligible for WCQ, but I think he could be in contention for the U-20 WC team.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. Servania is close to the FCD first team. But he's still behind Grueso, Hayes, and Ulloa.
    I'm pretty sure he'll make his debut this season, but not much more (barring injury to one of the aforementioned three).