YNT-eligible lower-division pro players: 2018 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 13, 2018.

1. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    ledezma subbed in due to injury and scores. very kuzain-y

Pl@ymaker, KUSA77, bballshawn and 2 others repped this.
  2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010

3. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    The RSL complex is amazing. Dell Loy Hansen isn't going to spend the way a Toronto, Galaxy, Atlanta, LAFC, etc. will on players, but the investment he's made in the club infrastructure is incredible in a market like Salt Lake.

Dirt McGirt, Pl@ymaker and USSoccerNova repped this.
  4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glademir Mendoza and David Ochoa are on the bench for Real Monarchs again. Making his first appearance in the 18 is an '00 midfielder named Sammy Tojaga.

RGV has a number of YNT-eligibles, too. Robert Castellanos and Jesus Enriquez are starting. Soccerway also claims that Wilmer Cabrera '00 is on the bench. The coach's son actually spent the last DA season with IMG Academy, but I guess he's with the Dynamo now?

Pl@ymaker and autobus39 repped this.
  5. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Assist for Ledezma

Pl@ymaker, Anderson11 and bballshawn repped this.
  6. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Where on the field is he playing?

7. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Played mostly as a #8.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The USL announced what appears to be a D2 club in New Mexico, starting play next season. While it seems logical that it would be based in ABQ, the announcement was open enough that one wonders whether it might try to establish some degree of foothold elsewhere. (Las Cruces. for example is much smaller, but it does have an NCAA football stadium.) More broadly, this fills a hole between El Paso and Phoenix in the Southwest, and (one hopes) will give more in-state talent a chance to start pro careers at home.

10. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's ABQ; they are playing at the AAA stadium there.

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Right -- my point was just that the announcement seemed to be written more broadly. The club's working name is "USL New Mexico," not "USL Albuquerque," and most/all the canned quotes referenced the state, not the city. Maybe LC gets some preseason games, or exhibitions, or an academy team, or who knows. Anyway, go 'Topes!

12. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I see what you are saying. That's possible, but I suspect it's more likely that they are just keeping their options open about naming the club "New Mexico ______" or "Albuquerque _______".

That said, Las Cruces sounds like a prototypical D3 target city.

("______" = "FC", "United", or "United FC" given that we are in the Non Creative Era of American soccer team names.)

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Las Cruces is practically a suburb of El Paso. I think it's about 40 miles away. Not sure if that's far enough away for the area to have a USL and USL2 team but I also know ********-all about the soccer culture in that area that I could be wrong. (I do know that Edgar Castillo is from Las Cruces.)

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    How soon we forget about "Noel Castillo!

The drive is pretty short, especially without traffic -- a zip along the interstate. It's basically a suburb, but there's plenty of open land (and pecans and cow farms) separating the cities, so it's not quite a MetroPlex. The EP stadium is very accessible -- believe they're playing where the Chihuahuas play.

Las Cruces doesn't really have much apart from the Aggies (and high schools), so maybe they could do D3. I dunno.

15. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    My understanding, living here and being somewhat interested, is that it is going to be Albuquerque area (incl Rio Rancho). Wouldn’t make a whole ton of sense to do it anywhere else honestly.

16. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    AAA stadium? What does that stand for? We have an Albuquerque Academy which has a field (private well funded high school), we have the UNM stadium, etc., right now the PDL team plays at a different high school but I am not familiar with AAA stadium?

17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It refers to Triple-A baseball; the press release said they'd play at Isotopes Park.

18. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Also worth noting that amongst the ownership group is a Ben Spencer which sounds familiar i wonder if he is a relation of former u-20 target striker Ben Spencer.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Oh, they are going to play at Isotopes Park? Great minor league baseball venue sounds a little awkward ala Nycfc

upload_2018-6-7_9-23-43.jpeg

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    And if their fans ever suffer from a lack of pep, we know exactly where they can turn.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Tosh Yasuda, the former academy star at FCD and sporadic USYNTer, is from Las Cruces. Also Aaron Herrera, the homegrown at RSL. I think he's from Las Cruces.

That whole El Paso-Las Cruces-Juarez metropolitan area is arguably the most underestimated metro area in the US as it straddles the border. That's a bigger metro area than San Antonio.........................

And soooooooooooooooo much talent comes from there. FCD has really done a good job trying to tap into that talent, but there's so much more to be mined. SKC has been trying. I remember them bringing Alexis Quevedo (and others) to their academy from down there.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Goslin and Carranza both started today. Carlos Asensio ('00) made the bench for the first time, as did Dylan Gaither ('00). Neither played. Crain was serving a suspension today. Atlanta once again lost, and didn't score.

23. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    North Carolina FC 0 FC Cincinnati 2
    D.J. Taylor went the distance at right back for North Carolina FC.
    Stats

Bethlehem Steel 0 Louisville FC 0
    Anthony Fontana and Matthew Real both went the distance for Bethlehem. Fontana picked up a yellow card.
    Ben Ofeimu ('00 Defender) subbed on in the 19th minute, Matt Rafanello ('00 Forward) came on in the 64th minute, and Tonny Temple ('00 Forward) was subbed in during the 77th minute by Bethlehem.
    Stats

Indy Eleven 2 Atlanta United II 0
    Jose Carranza went the distance, Chris Goslin was subbed off in the 61st minute, and Yosef Samuel was subbed off in the 80th minute.
    Stats

New York Red Bulls II 4 Charlotte Independence 2
    Sam Vines went the distance for Charlotte and assisted on their opener.
    Jordan Baillon ('00 Defender) started and went 72 minutes for NYRB II
    Stats

Colorado Springs Switchbacks 0 Swope Parks Rangers 1
    Felipe Hernandez and Roman Knox ('99 Mid) went the distance for Swope Park Rangers.
    Will Little ('98 Mid) came off the bench in the 69th minute and Sean Karani ('00 Mid) was subbed in during the 90th minute.
    Stats

24. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penn FC 3 Toronto FC II 2
    Ayo Akinola started and went 79 minutes for TFC II. He scored the opener and picked up a yellow
    Stats

Rio Grande Valley FC 0 Portland Timbers II 1
    Jeremy Ebobisse subbed in during the 62nd minute and Augustine Williams came on in the 70th minute for the Timbers.
    Jesus Enriquez started and went 80 minutes for RGV.
    Stats

Tulsa Roughnecks 0 Saint Louis FC 3
    Brandon Servania went the distance and Jesus Ferreira started and played 75 minutes for Tulsa.
    Aedan Stanley went the distance and Jack Maher ('99 midfielder) came on in the 84th minute for Saint Louis.
    Stats

Reno 1868 FC 1 Fresno FC 1
    JT Marcinkowski was in goal for Reno.
    Tarran Campbell came on in the 61st minute for Fresno.
    Stats

Sacremento Republic FC 0 Phoenix Rising FC 0
    Evan Waldrep came on in the 79th minute for Phoenix.
    Stats

25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States