YNT-eligible college players -- *2019* thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sandon Mibut, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Yes, they do. If you'd like to know more, I believe you can see them on a plaque on campus.

Winoman repped this.
  2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I hoped I would receive a more fortified answer, but it sounds as though you're giving me the brush off.

TarHeels17 and Winoman repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    For somebody with a mouth as big as yours, you sure are Sensodyne. If have have more to say, you can be denture I'll say it.

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Well, brace yourself - my son will soon be on retainer, but he's still got a fearsome bite. He's an '02, btw. I doubt he'll ever play with Colgate, though I still dream of seeing some Crest of ours on his jersey one day.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  6. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't bristle at the remarks!

TarHeels17 and TimB4Last repped this.
  7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was looking into Patrick Schulte and noticed that occasional former YNTer Seth Stiebel '99 isn't on Saint Louis' roster any more. Anyone know what he's up to?

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    SMU got their season started with a 3-0 victory over Lipscomb.
    2 goals from Dallas Texans product Nicky Hernandez, and one from Solar product and USYNTer DJ Williams. Cross on this Hernandez bicycle kick was from FC Dallas product Eddie Munjoma. See, we can all get along!

Luksarus repped this.
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Reyes, by the way, did end up starting against Colgate, which however kept a clean ... sheet against the Pilots. (Colgate has a member of New Jersey's Stroud soccer family on its roster, along with Kian Alberto, who had a YA thread but obviously didn't end up playing elsewhere.)

TimB4Last repped this.
  10. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '03 new US U16 F Matthew Roou announced a verbal commitment to Notre Dame today.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Sandon silenced us and now poor Chuck is talking about a Rooute canal.

Winoman and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  12. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Occasional YNT-er Milan Iloski, 99, had a hat trick for UCLA last night. Goals 1 and 3 were pretty poor goalkeeping, though he showed some nice composure on the 3rd.

Probably not the hottest prospect in the world but I still don't know why RSL hasn't tried to get him into their USL setup.

TimB4Last and Luksarus repped this.
  13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Someone will pick him in a superdraft. Who was in goal for UCLA?

14. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Grayson Barber 4 goals and an assist in 3 games with a goal in each game for Clemson.

Luksarus repped this.
  15. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    He came through RSL's academy so they could sign him at any moment if they wanted to. They probably should have signed him 2 years ago.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I've read some good things about Daryl Dike as a potential GA signing at the end of the season. The name might sound familiar because his brother Bright is a former player who ended up representing Nigeria internationally. His sister also plays for the Nigerian National Team.

From what I can find, I believe Daryl is a '99 who is in his sophomore season at Virginia. He's a forward that is listed at 6'2 220. He's been very productive so far this season, and also had a good freshmen season. I doubt he'll play a role in the qualifying campaign, but its possible that he enters MLS as a GA signing after this season, starts off next season well and gets himself on the U-23 team radar. I suspect Nigeria has the edge because both of his siblings play for Nigeria, but until either team calls him into a camp, it's all speculation.

Winoman and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  17. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw Boston College vs NC State last night. Former YA Amos Shapiro-Thompson was one of the best players on the ball on the pitch. Tonny Temple had an off-night in the few minutes he was given. Temple has been good, though it will not show on a stat sheet, he has missed a few chances and had some likely penalties not given.

18. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    James Madison University just dropped #1 seated Wake Forrest. I hear their alumni are very smart and handsome as well.

19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Might be time to get your hearing checked. ;)

TarHeels17 repped this.
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    So far this season, Wake's leading scorer is a freshman '00, but he's from England by way of New Zealand. I assume Justin McMaster is seen as a prospect, among others. Kyle Holcomb has only played in 2 games; however, several other first-year players have played in all 6, including '01 Omar Hernandez out of Dalton, Ga.

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The college player I haven't seen who I'm most interested in right now is Georgetown's Derek Dodson. He's a '98 Jr. from Illinois who has "put up numbers" every year for a solid program and seems to have some size. He played for a non-MLS DA team so I assume he's not HG-eligible. Anybody got a scouting report?

22. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Clemson is scoring at will this year. Scored more in 5 games than all last year.

Robbie Robinson JR has 7 goals and 1 assist in 6 games. Shooters gonna shoot.
    Grayson Barber SO has 4 goals and 4 assists in 6 games.
    Charlie Asencio SO has basically played every minute at LB.
    Tanner Dieterich SR has moved to a more D-Mid type role.
    James Brighton SO has 1 goal and 1 assist. Starts, but typically gets subbed.
    George Marks has started 5 games in goal. He has been sort of shaky.

Rest of squad is mostly foreign players or Americans who ceiling is League 1.

TimB4Last repped this.
  23. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Clemson has Seth Wilson coming in at goal next year, assuming he does not go to Europe, so that should help out the Tigers.

Main question is , with the large amount of players going overseas and signing pro deals at younger ages, is it the end of the line for high level pro aspirations if you play in college? Perhaps one year, like Reggie Cannon did at UCLA ,but if you are at a college program for more than one year, are your pro aspirations getting crushed. Time will tell.

24. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think one year is really an hindrance because you are missing like 1/3 of a season, but college isn't producing a lot of high level pro talent at this point. There will always be a couple a year that fall through the cracks and end up having productive careers after college.

It does seem to be trending away from college as a viable pathway fairly quickly. Part of it is MLS is better now and part of it the better players rarely play college. GK might be the exception.

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I dunno.

I think the number of players who played multiple years of college soccer and still have a national team or high-end pro career is going to continue to decrease.

But, I think we're a couple of generations away from college players of multiple seasons being extinct with the national team and MLS.

I mean, Hassani Dotson might make the U23 team and will likely get a Camp Cupcake invite. And he was a second round pick. Andrew Gutman might snag a left at left back. Or maybe it'll be DeJuan Jones. Or Chase Gasper.

The point is, we're still not there yet. We're closer. But not completely there. After all, the reigning MLS defender of the year played four seasons at UC Riverside.