Yi and Gooch in Belgium

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Martin Fischer, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three games into the season and Gooch has not played and Yi has 7 minutes in one match.

2. BillP

BillP Member

Jan 20, 1999
    Sometimes MLS is better, sometimes Europe. It has to be taken on a case by case basis. And in these two cases, right now Europe may not be great, but in the long-run it might just work out for both.

3. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Obviously this isn't great news, but let's keep in mind that they are both young defenders. Coaches will often take their time particularly with young defenders as they learn the system and the expectations of their respective positions. Their lack of PT most likely speaks less to their talent and more to their youth and inexperience at the professional level.

Put another way, do you trust your job to a 19 year old?

EDIT: Oops, I meant a 21-22 year old.

4. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, I am just reporting. I don't think Gooch had even been loaned when the Belgium season started, so it's hardly surprising. Yi played in the last 7 minutes of a 2-1 win, so maybe he is in line to be the first off the bench if a starter struggles or is injured.

5. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Onyewu made his debut in a reserve match for La Louviere last week...they beat FC Bruges 2-1, but apparently the Bruges goal involved a miscommunication between Onyewu and the goalie.

6. angstchild

angstchild New Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Tracy, CA
    In all honesty, I thought the weakest of the big 3 U-17s was Nelson Akwari and he getting PT nowadays. Yi and Onyewu should come back to MLS. I've always liked Onyewu's game; I hate to see him wasting his time overseas.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This is MLS' fault for being tightfisted and totally lowballing these players. If the league came to the table with offers that weren't totally insulting, the players wouldn't feel the need to go abroad to begin with.

Both Yi and Onyewu came from families that put a high emphasis on education and it was difficult and darn near impossible, for their parents to let their kids give up free education for the meager P40 offer.

8. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    If:

1 - 90 minute start
    1 - 11 minute sub appearance
    5 - ONE minute sub appearances

for an entire season equals "playing time nowadays", by all means get thee to MLS :rolleyes:

9. GoDizzGo

GoDizzGo New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Los Anchorage
    1) Gooch has to work his way into the line-up. It will take some time.

2) Yi's abilities are well thought of by his club, however they regard his tactical effectiveness as inept. Soon after he arrived last season he was subbed in the first half and he was not injured. The same thing happened in preseason. They like his "upside" for the long run, but he'll have to prove his worth, as he has only 1 more year remaining on his contract after this season.