Yes, Virginia soccer is a contact sport…

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by mwulf67, Sep 14, 2016.

1. StrikerMom

StrikerMom Member

Sep 25, 2014
    If you're that parent screaming on the sideline - think twice. If a coach is promoting players to a university coach or selecting a regional/state/national team. It more than likely WON'T be your child. So what if there is a bad call. It's just youth soccer at the end of the day. It happens in the World Cup too.

In regard to dangerous tackles. The dirty player's parents and coach know/see what the player is doing and they are obviously OK with it. Nothing you can do. I agree it's disgusting. I never went to the games when my daughter's U12 team played the 'roughest' team in the comp. It was awful and stressful to watch because my dd played #9. She was stepped on, hacked, punched in the back. But it bothered me a lot more than it bothered her. 15 minutes after the game she had already forgotten about it.

If you want less physical/dirty soccer you'll have to play in better leagues. You'll (hopefully) get better refs who will card dirty players and control the game better. I've found that the higher my daughter plays there are way less dangerous tackles. She's playing with and against players that want to play professionally or on the national team. The game is so quick that the players are focusing on the game. Not to say it's not war out there and a lot of trash talk, pushing and elbows and shoulder charges.

luftmensch repped this.
  2. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    One of the dirtiest adult teams I ever saw were the NY Albanians. They had some good players but they also had some other players on that team. One year they won the Cosmopolitan soccer league first division. So they entered a tournament my friend Ralph Bavaro coaches a team in the Italian league. All there players were good. So at the half the score was 4-0 for my friends team. What people did not know was the Albanians money came from the Albanian mafia. No one can deal with them not even the Russian mafia.

So the Albanians went into shock when they found themselves losing big at the half. They went wild in the second half. My friend Ralph had three of his adult children in that game. His kids were used to very physical play. But their father saw his kids taking a beating and he stepped into it. He was jumped by a lot of Albanians watching the game. I have seen these guys do that before. If I went to an Albanian game I would go armed. I did not that time because frankly I ran out of bullets.

Any way we did mangage to get my friend pulled out of there. Now he goes to his car and gets a tire iron. I told him don't do that. I told him they will just take it off you and hurt you with it. I knew he was just messed up and did not really want to hurt anyone. I said to him if you really want to hurt them get into your car on the field and try to run them over. Then he calmed down and thought better about the tire iron. If he had drove his car on the field one of them would have killed him.

3. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, the good ol' days....

4. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    She was kept in for more than 10 hours - not sure about the hear monitor. I'll have to ask on that one.