Yellow card for dying?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Tigerpunk, May 5, 2010.

1. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
  2. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good reason never to card a player who's on the ground.

3. thomaier

thomaier Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Louisville, CO
    At least the referee has time before play restarts to rescind the card.

4. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I need to leave this thread before I make a really bad taste joke.

Seriously, this is awful. I have no idea what I'd do if a player died on the field whilst I was officiating.

5. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    No I think the yellow card is right...he should just get up and walk it off. :p

EDIT: "I need to leave this thread before I make a really bad taste joke." I got it covered you can go.

6. DerbyRam54

DerbyRam54 Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Surely you just change it from UB to L?

That really was terrible and I am ashamed of myself.

I doubt play would be restarting in those circumstances. I remember reading a report about a cup match between Leicester City and Nottingham Forest. A Leicester defender, Clive Clark, collapsed at half time and was rushed to hospital, as I recall his heart stopped two or three times. Forest was leading 1-0 at the time. The match was replayed. By agreement between the teams, Leicester allowed Forest to score a goal to start the replay so that the score would reflect the state of play from the first match. Leicester went on to win 3-2.

7. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sort of reminds me of a story I heard about a college basketball coach who got a technical foul when he collapsed to the floor while arguing a call. Actually, he had suffered a heart attack. But the worst part was, after the coach was carried off the court to the hospital, the referee still gave the opposing team the technical free throw >.<

8. refmedic

refmedic Member

Sep 22, 2008
    This happened in an indoor match that my cousin was officiating. 20 year old kid with a congenital heart defect that even he was unaware of. When he collapsed into the boards head first, his team wanted a red card to the opponent, who was easily 5 yards away. The player did not make it, and my cousin has never been the same since. Let's hope that none of us ever has this happen in their match.

9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I was playing on the field when a player died once. It was a pickup game, so no refs. Yeah, it puts a damper on things. Guy had a heart attack right after making a gorgous pass out of the back that led to a goal. We turn around, and he is lying face down. Death isn't pretty, trying to perform CPR while he is vomiting etc.

PS, it was on the night of my 10th wedding anniversary. Wife wanted to know why I was so late getting home. At least she accepted my explanation.

10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The yellow card was light. Apparently God went with a straight red.

Players resort to so much fakery now, I cant really fault a referee for thinking "acting" over heart attack. Refs miss stuff all the time. Plus, I seriously doubt that anyone on the field gave much of a damn about the caution at that point.

Previous point well-taken... don't card players on the ground.

11. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It's a good rule to go by. I once had a situation where a player got kicked in the head but fouled the player first. So I had a yellow card and then a red card. The player who got kicked was knocked almost unconscious so it was pretty sad when the coaches got him up to a standing position and I had to yellow card him as they carried him off. Made me look really mean.

13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that one of those situations where you should present the card to the team captain instead? (see Ramos, Tab -- 1994)

14. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nah...I don't mind looking mean.

15. DerbyRam54

DerbyRam54 Member

Apr 26, 2005
    In 2004 Swiss Premier league player Paolo Dogo jumped up onto a perimeter fence in celebration of a goal his team had scored. He got his wedding ring caught on the fence and when he came down to earth, he did so minus the ring and part of his finger. Play was halted while stewards played hunt the finger, after which Dogo left for hospital to see if the finger could be reattached.

The referee cautioned Dogo for excessive celebration of the goal.

Surgeons eventually had to amputate what was left of Dogo's finger.

16. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember watching a game not so long ago on TV where a guy scored a goal, did some back flips, sprained his hamstring or something in the process, had to be subbed out due to injury, and the goal was disallowed for some reason... major fail!

17. MountainHawk

MountainHawk New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Salem, MA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a player back in high school, a player on the other team with a heart defect (that should not have playing, but he was an exchange student from Portugal and didn't tell the school about the condition) collapsed after taking a ball in the chest. Ambulance came and took him away (he was still alive at that point) and the refs and other team decided we should finish the match. We played on, only to find out at school the next day that the kid died in the ambulance.

18. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    As an official I'd leave it up to the coaches...they could work it out and I'm sure if one of them didn't want to continue they'd probably agree. If either didn't want to continue I'd just call the game and write a report about the whole thing.

19. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    In my indoor league a player was cautioned for doing a slide tackle (always against the rules in our league.) 5 minutes later he did it again. Only, this time he broke his leg in the act. Play was halted and an ambulance was called. The ref waited for awhile and then when he was being put onto the gurney he was shown another yellow and a red. Just plain cold.

20. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    True that's pretty cold...however now that he's shown the yellow and red his team has to play a man down. So it's important that he does it, because he did something that earned it. Also if the ref could get close enough it's a good idea to kick him a little bit...just to make sure he's learned his lesson.

21. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabian Espindola. Sep 8, 2008 vs. LAG. Sprained ankle. Offside.

Thanks for reminding me :mad:

22. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts at 0:45

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycBhnJclyZc"]YouTube- Fabian Espindola danno e beffa![/ame]

:)

23. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Unfortunately, I experienced this last November. Teammate of mine on a side I captain suffered a heart attack and died no more than 15 yards from me in an over 40 indoor match.

Absolutely devastating.

Never experienced anything like it.

Coincidentally, I was CR in his daughters (all state player) last ever hs match and his father law was the priest at my wedding.

Family attends the same church as my family does.