Yellow at the buzzer....

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Rufusabc, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    9th ranked team in the state for girls varsity against unranked opponent (who has better record!). Very physical game, lots of whining.

Not a lot of time left in first half (maybe 8 seconds), hard foul committed by the home (ranked team) giving visitors a free kick. As they set up for the kick, home player goes for the statue very late (she absolutely knows what she is doing) and I blow my whistle to pull the card and time runs out.

I am not watching the scoreboard because I am watching the play, but is there anything that says I can put time on the clock. I asked my partner in the dual what he had, and he said time had run out. Visiting coach was very upset. I then explained that it wasn't basketball and they weren't going to score in the time I put back anyway.

Could I have put it back?

Unranked won 1-0 on very late second half goal.

2. incognitoind

incognitoind Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I assume you're talking about NFHS. Take a look at rule 5 as it pertains to you dealing with timekeepers. We know that you are required to stop the clock to issue a card and if time runs out because of a timekeepers mistake, it is our obligation to resolve. Also, when dealing with coaches I would be careful about suggesting what will or won't happen. Crystal balls are not part of the referee equipment and if a team has earned the right to a free kick then we must allow them to take if the rules permit.

AlextheRef, dadman and That Cherokee repped this.
  3. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I say yes. Rule 5.3.2.i gives the referee the authority to "instruct the timer to correct the clock, when necessary." See, e.g., Play Ruling 5.3.2 Situation D.

Law5, Kit, dadman and 1 other person repped this.
  4. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you know there is very little time. FIRST, give the stop the clock signal, blow the whistle and check the clock. Once the clock is stopped, you can deal with the player, the restart, and the coach(es) if necessary. If you aren't controlling the clock, you need to get control of it.

I had a similar experience several years ago. AR on a Boys varsity game. Team down one goal with time running out. A hard tactical foul as the trailing team advances towards goal. The CR calls a foul, but does not give a card or stop the clock. By the time the kick was taken, time had run out.

5. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I know this isn't "by the book" but with almost no time left you could consider stopping the clock as soon as the hard foul occurs to give a caution for the foul itself - this would prevent any FRD/DR issues, and assuming the fouling player is not already on a caution it would have no real impact on the game.

6. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Here in southwest corner, the referee keeps official time on his own. The scoreboard clock is for uncalibrated reference only, and traditionally stops at 2:00 (and my phone rings within 15 seconds if I miss it).

dadman repped this.
  7. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time stops when in your MIND it should have stopped. Add back whatever was left when in your mind the statue went past the misconduct threshold.

Except in NFHS you are required to sub on yellow, so you are impacting the game regardless.

8. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I worry less about the required sub on a yellow than the team leading by a goal or tied that fouls in the defending half in the last 30 seconds or so. How can it be other than tactical? (OK, it is ITOOR; but you have to consider it!)

In 90% of my high school world, you have the timekeeper controlling your game clock. If you don't give the signal, blow the whistle, and check the clock as quickly as you can, the fouling team has gained an advantage.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  9. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are not required to sub in NFHS on a caution. The cautioned player must leave the field and the team MAY substitute, but they are not required to do so. They can play short if they want. The only time I've seen that happen is with a team that only had 11 players.

10. Pat Chewning

Pat Chewning Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Beaverton Oregon
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No, you are allowing the person receiving the yellow card to impact the game.

SccrDon, IASocFan and timtheref repped this.
  11. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Thank you. I proposed the rule change with this language, after discussion of this very topic on this site. :)

SccrDon, Bubba Atlanta and djmtxref repped this.
  12. nonya

nonya Member

Mar 2, 2006
    So the team that fouled gained an advantage (not that those few seconds would have mattered anyway), that only happens in one sport...

Basketball.

13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Nonsense. Many soccer fouls provide an advantage to the team that commits them - recognizing that is why some tactical fouls can be a caution.

blacksun repped this.