Yedlin's youth club complains to FIFA about MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Placid Casual, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Canada doesn’t have a national DA system.

2. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Not a necessary comment. I don't think any of us had heard of this problem until a couple of weeks ago. So we're not in any position to judge what a proper passport would entail.

But it IS fair to say that the USA is unique in having so many youth clubs competing at the highest youth level without having a senior team. How that affects the passports is hard to say. Up until now, I'd guess the answer is "negatively."

jaykoz3 and Stupid_American repped this.
  3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I'd guess there aren't any American players in the academies. Why wouldn't the CSA just declare them the start of a similar effort for them?

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't meant to be sarcastic. Sorry if it appeared as such.

I hope people realise that a soccer "player passport" has nothing to do with a government id any more than a WADA biological passport.

5. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because a three team league isn't exactly conducive to player development? Sure, they get meaningful games, but there isn't any real variety in those games if you're playing the same 2 opponents.

It also seems like the CSA isn't ready to challenge the provincial federations yet, particularly Ontario's. Even the CPL "academies" are built around the provincial system. For the most part, CPL clubs are just affiliating with existing youth clubs and keeping the same province set-up for the leagues. I wouldn't be shocked if they do start a national DA system if/when CPL actually stabilizes, but until then, they have bigger fish to fry.

6. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DRC postpones a decision on Crossfire’s solidarity payments.. too many members recused themselves.

7. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think another challenge in the US is that we register players at the state association level and have multiple sanctioning bodies and regional leagues. USYSA, US Club, DA, USASA, among so many others.

8. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    This reminds me of the "Simpsons Tide" episode, in which Homer faces a Navy tribunal in which every officer wants to throw the book at him but has just been indicted in the Tailhook scandal, took bribes on contracts, impersonated the First Lady, etc.

oknazevad and CMeszt repped this.
  9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jaykoz3 repped this.
  10. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    #910 PhillyMLS, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Very important part on the league site is this: "each player and his parents or guardians will be required to sign an acknowledgement that if the player signs a contract to play professionally for a non-MLS club outside the U.S. or Canada, his MLS club academy will have the right to claim training compensation from that professional club (not from the player or his family) in accordance with the FIFA regulations."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...g-compensation-claims-and-solidarity-payments

Basically I think that the USSF has come to an understanding that they can enforce these rules as long as there is a valid contract (which is what this agreement would be) between the club/MLS and the player/family. I still believe that outside of this that there is no legal way to enforce those two mechanisms.

Oh, and in case you thought that the MLSPA was on board with this:

https://mlsplayers.org/news/stateme...training-compensation-and-solidarity-payments

blacksun repped this.
  11. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Can't wait to sign the first one of these contracts when I sign my 2 year old up for toddler soccer for his first practice.

TOAzer repped this.
  12. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't this just apply to MLS academies? Additionally, the TC reg covers a very specific time frame between 12 and 23.

13. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing stopping any youth academy from asserting a claim.

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not be surprised if the non-MLS clubs are trying to get their hands on the contract MLS is having their kids/parents sign just so they can do a find and replace on the team name and start getting contracts up and running.

15. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, how valid are these contracts? Can the teams really sign a contract with the kids/parents saying the teams get a kickback if the kids sign with a non-US based team.

16. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This is almost certain.

On the other hand, I'm sure some clubs with not insignificant expenses and fees for families are going to have a fun time explaining to suburban parents why they should be entitled to even more $$ if kid makes it big.

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My IANAL opinion is that these aren't contracts so much as acknowledgements. The parents and the kids aren't parties in the agreement to pay TC/SP. The clubs can't bind them to the team, but letting them know that the payment may affect their ability to move overseas in the future.

jaykoz3 and Yoshou repped this.
  18. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, in a situation where the rules grant fees for a player's services and don't grant the player status as a party to that transaction, I would feel a lot better if I at least knew that the player understood this up front.

19. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Which is half of the Players Association argument, the other half being that they will lose leverage in salary negotiations if solidarity fees are part of the compensation package.

Personally, USSF should set regulations saying that the club is only entitled to a percentage of the fee determined by how much the family/other families paid and also if the player can continue onto a team as an adult within the current club structure. If you stop at U-19, then the player has to leave.

20. I wonder if they need to back that up with proven cases in Europe etc.

21. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I wonder if the Fire would have given a pro contract to a 14 year old goalkeeper if this ruling from USSF had been announced two months ago.

22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    - ESPN

Did I read somewhere that his parents are disputing that and that he played for other teams during those 4 years? Certainly they do not seem to have been aware that Crossfire could have profited from holding his registration.

- Philly Inquirer

And here's me thinking they do it for profit NTTAWWT.

If p2p academies were to use TC to increase the number of scholarships for low income families that may work out quite nicely for everyone.

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's an idea...

TC could be used to retroactively fund a players P2P academy fees i.e. given back to the parents. After all, a lot of parents will pay for their kids to attend academies in order to obtain scholarships. In both cases the parents would ultimately benefit.

24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin’s family disputed that he was on a scholarship, not that he didn’t play for Crossfire. I believe Miki said there is documentation showing he was on a scholarship tho.

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States