Yedlin's youth club complains to FIFA about MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Placid Casual, Jun 29, 2015.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Dallas Texans, Dempsey's youth club, is headquartered in Plano, TX. Oddly, Plano is in the Eastern District of Texas even though it is north of Dallas which is in the Northern District of Texas. The courts that hear most of the patent cases are in the divisions over closer to Arkansas and Louisiana.

4. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still seems like a strange place to sue. And now they are getting owned on personal jurisdiction because of it.

5. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They haven't gotten "owned" on anything, yet. The MLSPU just filed a motion; the court hasn't ruled on it yet. I suspect that the court will not grant them the dismissal because the Texans are in the court's district. I am not sure why the MLSPU thinks Massachusetts would be a more appropriate place as (AFAIK) none of the parties have any ties to it (the MLSPU is run from Maryland).

6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is weak sauce analysis.

Personal jurisdiction is about the contacts the defendants have with the forum state, related to the allegations at issue. Location of the plaintiff is not relevant. This motion will certainly be granted as to Yedlin, and most likely Dempsey as well. His failure to pay the Texans did not occur in Texas. He was in NE at the time of transfer.

7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Can't the plaintiff just say that they can't afford to go to Massachusetts?

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the plaintiff absolutely cannot. Any Court in the United States must have jurisdiction over the person, or valid personal jurisdiction authority. The Court has no jurisdiction over lawsuits where (1) the defendant is not a resident of that state; or (2) the events concerning the lawsuit did not arise in that state.

This means that if I live in California, and I get in a car accident in California with a Texas resident, the Texas resident cannot sue me in Texas, because I'm not a Texas resident and the accident did not take place in Texas. It would be fundamentally unfair to be sued in some distant, far flung place.

This is a very basic constitutional due process requirement, and is something you learn about on the first day of law school.

9. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Can you explain to me how Dan Borislow convinced a Florida court to keep his suit against WPS in Florida, even though WPS had operating documents that expressly said otherwise? I've always wondered that.

10. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't Fraser heard in Boston?

11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that was because he had been a New England Revolution player at the time the suit was filed.

blacksun repped this.
  12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure--I would have to look into the facts. Typically, a forum selection clause is binding, but in certain circumstances, it can be avoided. For example, if the chosen state has no rational relationship to the suit, but rather appears to be a completely random & arbitrary choice.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in the news:

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/fifa/243...solidarity-payments-case-added-to-fifa-docket

According to Lance Reich, who is representing Crossfire Premier in the dispute, the Yedlin case has now been put on the DRC's docket, with a decision expected to be made in the next few months. The next step is for the DRC to assign three judges to hear the case.

The case has been dragging on since the summer of 2015 when the complaint was first filed with FIFA. Reich said he's hopeful that the case will be adjudicated very soon.

"We look forward to a decision promptly from the DRC," he said.

14. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    #614 Zoidberg, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Yawn.

Forgot about this.

Soccer here right now is like the gold rush was out west.

Few wanted to go, but once there was some money to made.....sheesh.

Silva, Cosmos, youth clubs....gimme, gimme, gimme.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  15. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wonder if the youth clubs will pay back the parents that "paid to play"...

16. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There is also the fact that most / all the clubs have no senior team. The kids have to move on from the youth club.

It will be interesting to see what happens with USL/NASL clubs that have academies and what they seek for compensation.

There was an interesting article from the telegraph a few months ago, where compensation fees left kids in limbo and forced them to amateur clubs where there was no compensation required.

EDIT: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...eft-scrapheap-thanks-exorbitant-compensation/

17. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    I wonder if the youth clubs will have to start paying their "stars" such as Yedlin for using their name in promoting themselves. Every time the club says, "We've produced stars such as DeAndre Yedlin, Clint Dempsey, etc ..." the club has to send them a check.

jaykoz3 and profiled repped this.
  18. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    jjmack and When Saturday Comes repped this.
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An update:

https://www.socceramerica.com/publi...nsation-from-pros-to-us-youth-clubs-on-t.html

In particular, we were discussing a “USSF youth discovery program” that would be similar to training compensation for men and women’s first signing to the national teams. At the signing to the teams, the youth clubs for the player from age 12 to 23 (before that player signed a first pro contract) would get a one-time payment of a scholarship donation that could only be used for scholarships or other soccer-related items, with a set fee for each year the male or female player was at the youth club.

We didn’t agree on a specific amount, but used as an example $2,500 per year the player was with the club. And that fee would double with the next player (male or female) who signs to the national team.

This would reward clubs who consistently send players to the national teams. For example, Yedlin signing with the national team would cause a one-time donation of $7,500 to Crossfire, for example, three years. The next player Crossfire has who signs would cause $5,000 per year for that player’s years at the club. The system could start with the signings to main national teams, and then be expanded if successful to U-23 on down.

Ismitje and DanGerman repped this.
  20. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be cool with that IF the youth clubs don't charge that players family a dime for playing in their youth teams.

Ismitje and The Franchise repped this.
  21. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Solidarity payments only for 'scholarship' players who participate for a set minimum time sounds fine to me. Payments for children who have already paid to participate do not.

22. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you ever want to get to free to play, there has to be a transition from pay to play where teams are getting compensation for kids whose parents paid.. While it sucks for that kid’s parents, it should result in current kids not havijg to pay...

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the sensitivity of the pay-to-play is why the solutions have tended to focus on scholarships for future players, in a bit of a "pay-it-forward" manner.

24. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has FIFA issued their ruling yet in this case?

25. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine they are waiting to see if there is negotiated agreement, which, based on the above link, it seems like there is...

TheFalseNine repped this.