Yedlin's youth club complains to FIFA about MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Placid Casual, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Inflation, lower infrastructure costs, more skilled volunteer labor, less investment.

NaBUru38 repped this.
  2. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, not buying it

3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That 3.5 to 5m is probably the cost of running all the fields and the staff for all the kids across the whole umbrella of "development" not just the academy. The thing is that Union has created one of the most advanced pay to play setups that takes care of a lot of the fixed costs of the advanced infrastructure. They have summer schools, a boarding school, non-academy teams and tournaments. That brings in a fair amount of revenue but also has the dual purpose of bringing a fair share of raw material for the academy itself so it saves on scouting also. So anyhow the actual academy costs are probably way under 1m when everything is said and done.

4. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The soccer schools, camps, do not count toward that academy spend from what I have heard. That's a separate business, outsourced to a summer camp company to boot. The academy field and such is part of a separate business owned by Ritchie Graham. That amount was the Unions stated budget for the academy. We also have estimates that it costs about $5k or so per player per year at an elite US club. I just find the idea that $1.6 million would fund the club for years crazy. It has to be more expensive than that when you're talking about developing pros.

Keeping that aside, I still feel the argument for ending academies because the return on holding a winning lottery ticket are low is a cop out. The other thing here is that the cost of operating an academy of the standard required is high and top players will leave if the rating drops. I think, at a smaller club, that's the bigger issue. It doesn't do the development system much good if the standard for rating academies are rigorous but the cost of moving between clubs is excessive in the event a club fails to meet the standard.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  5. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're just pretending the thousands of dollars they got paid isn't a thing?

6. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed this one. The issue for the clubs is not training compensation! Its solidarity. The TC payments are a much more obvious restraint of trade and could be insanely expensive too.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I see you skipped a bunch of pages.

8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    5k per player seems about right. Maybe even a little high. To reach 5m a year means a thousand players training for free. Doesn't that seem excessive? Most likely over a hundred.

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are different categories of academies, from full-time Level 1 academies, with their own facilities, accommodation and full-time staff, to level 4 part-time academies who rent facilities by the hour and use part-time staff on evenings and weekends.

And yes, it was a lottery, but so is anything to do with soccer, especially outside the USA.

10. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In what I quoted, that's how the comment read.

I've not dropped a line, but have been following the thread.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    So you agree the current lawsuit has no merit then. Those players paid to play, so there is no claim for training compensation.
    I was being snarky. ;)

HailtotheKing repped this.
  12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It doesn't seem that the lawsuit is actually about those players. The clubs say that they were named because that's what the lawsuit required. I have no idea about the validity of that but I have heard nothing disclaiming this.

13. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's travel, coaching and I think part of the educaton cost built into that as well. Facilities too but that's does count u12 to u18 and $5m is the upper estimate too.

14. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the reality is that they were closing to avoid spending on the higher costs and would have done so eventually anyway. The inability to collect a large fee is really just an excuse.

15. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Speaking of money leaving player's/teams' pockets...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/09/mino-raiola-agent-manchester-united

16. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    How much did Pogba and his agent earn for themselves though off the transfer fee? I know they were looking for a nice cut on top of what Man U was going to pay...

17. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what Pogba's cut was, but Raiola had a clause written into Pogba's Juve contract that any team that purchased Pogba would have to pay Raiola 20% of the transfer fee, on top of the transfer fee. So if the Fee was $100M, Raiola would get $20M making the total purchase price $120M.

I forget where I heard this, it was from Gab Marcotti either on ESPN FC or The Football Show on SiriusXM FC.

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the9...-openly-advocating-for-training-compensation/

As an entity, MLS HQ has backed off MLSPU’s more fiery rhetoric, preferring instead to couch all statements in terms of brokering a deal of some sort. It’s never been clear what that meant, exactly. No deal or terms of a deal between clubs like Crossfire (DeAndre Yedlin), Dallas Texans (Clint Dempsey) and Weston FC (Alejandro Bedoya) have ever been made public.

19. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The youth clubs aren't going after training compensation, are they? They are going after the solidarity fees.. I can't help but think that Parchman is intentionally conflating the two different issues.

20. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    He's not.

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to keep track, but the clubs would like both if they could. However, the most recent lawsuit was just about SP.

22. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    This article, to me, is someone taking things that someone said and making it fit the position they support. What Garber said is so vague you'd have to have a position in order to make his words mean anything. Hell, I could write an article that says that MLS is considering scrapping the academy system based off of Garber's quote.

23. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the thing, MLS is not blocking a system of payments. The PU is the last obstacle. Since the fees are understood to be forbidden under Fraser, MLS cannot collect solidarity nor can it receive training compensation either. Given the rational for Fifa adding these and the propensity for clubs in Mexico and Europe to poach players that an MLS team actually invested in developing, the league has good reason to be on the side of a compensation system. Given the fact MLS teams actually have a path to pro, which none of the clubs suing can claim, MLS can make an extremely strong case for getting compensation even if the youth clubs cannot. The same would be true for USL and NASL teams who establish academies. Now the really weird thing to me is how would the NCAA view a contract that does not pay a player while he's in an academy, but binds his movement outside that pro club to a system of paid compensation should he sign a pro contract elsewhere? Maybe that isn't much different than being drafted into MLB or the NHL and playing another college season, though those instances involve involuntary rights not a signed deal. Some may dismiss that, but the reality is most academy players will not become pros. College is still a path for kids.

Yoshou and Beau Dure repped this.
  24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not conflating them, or he's not doing it on purpose (i.e., he doesn't know any better)?

25. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I'd say neither. I think he grasps the issue pretty well.