Yanks Overseas: Emerick Debut, Clever Return

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by yankee_rob, Sep 20, 2010.

1. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.rugbymag.com/news/intern...nks-overseas-emerick-debut-clever-return.aspx

Yanks Overseas: Emerick Debut, Clever Return

By Alex Goff (Paul Emerick happy to get on the field for Ulster as he did for the USA. Butch Leitz photo)

It was a busy weekend for USA players overseas, with one of the most important events being Paul Emerick's first start for Ulster.

Emerick was brough in on a short-term contract for Ulster to help the team with depth in the backs, and started at right wing for the Irish club in their Magners League game against Edinburgh.

Emerick helped his team to a 29-21 victory.

"I Was pretty happy to get the start," said Emerick, who hasn't been with the club long. "It was a pretty quiet game for me. I didn't see much ball, but took advantage of the opportunities I had and had a solid performance."

Emerick was brought in to cover wing, center and fullback; he has played for the USA at all of those positions. He said the coaching staff was eager to get him into a game situation to see what he could do, and therefore decide whether the three-month contract could be extended to a year.

"I just need to take my opportunities when I can and make the best of them," Emerick said.

Also taking his opportunities this weekend was USA wing Takudzwa Ngwenya score the go-ahead try for Biarrtiz as they beat La Rochelle 29-23. Ngwenya's second-half score put his side up 21-18 en route to the victory.

Also in the French Top 14, Kevin Swiryn started at wing for Agen, but they lost to Seta Tuilevuka's Montpellier 35-6. Tuilevuka did not play, however.

In England, Chris Wyles started at wing for Saracens and Hayden Smith came in at lock off the bench as Sarries defeated starting prop Mike MacDonald and Leeds - three Americans in one Premiership match.

Two more Premiership Matches could have involved Americans - Sales 21-17 over Harlequins and London Irish 23-16 over Gloucester. But neither scrumhalf Mike Petri nor prop Will Johnson played. Johnson started at prop for the London Irish A team in their 30-22 defeat of Wasps A earlier in the week, while Petri started at scrumhalf for the Sales A team (the Jets) in their 21-3 defeat of the Leeds A team.

In the English Championship (one level below the Premiership), Shawn Pittman started once again for London Welsh at tighthead prop and helped his team to a 21-10 defeat of Plymouth Albion. Tim Usasz started at scrumhalf for Nottginham in a 37-31 loss to Rotherham.

Bristol's Robbie Shaw is expected back from injury soon.

In Italy, Lou Stanfill is still to join Mogliano. Meanwhile Inaki Basauri started at flanker for L'Aquila as they lost 19-6 to Rugby Roma.

And finally and by no means least important, Todd Clever got on the field for the first time for Suntory in Japan. Clever had been coming back form a shoulder injury that required surgery before the Churchill Cup. He made the squad of 22 Sunday and got on for the final 20 minutes in Suntory's 25-20 loss to NEC Green Rockets.

Clever entered the match with his team down 25-13, and after he took the field NEC scored no more points and Suntory scored a try to get within five.