Yanks on Foreign YNTs (1997 and later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I remember a purely hypothetical "is this possible?" discussion in this forum but I don't believe we ever really settled the question and of course we don't know who was on it anyway.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More YNT-eligibles on other teams' 40-man rosters:

Benji Michel (Haiti)
    Rashawn Dally (Jamaica)

BostonRed repped this.
  3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Obviously we don't have many options, but going into the Gold Cup with our starting lineup's age being like 22 is going to be ugly. I don't think that a team like that knows how to sh*thouse well enough to win a tournament like this. I think this tournament will be eye-opening for a lot of guys who've never really been CONCACAFed before, so thankfully it's on home soil.

Tangentially, I think Danny Acosta will be an excellent sh*thouser for Honduras, if he does decide to play for them.

Thundering165 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    01-Flach played 17 min in a 3-0 win over Belgium U18, it was his 2nd Germany cap.

while 02-Dietz recently made a U17 camp.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    ChuckMe92 repped this.
  6. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luksarus and BostonRed repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allen Yanes on the Guatemala U23s:

8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    forgot to mention, Flach hit the crossbar in the game as well.

looks like reason he plays less was because he had another upcoming game so his Pauli coach asked for him to be played less than 30 min.

He said he was happy to get another nomination, had a lot of fun, he's getting along well with his NT teammates. Also hopes to get more nominations next season.

9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't yet brought up but Danilo Acosta made Honduras' final GC squad. He had to file the one-time switch to be named to the squad, so he's gone.

Rashawn Dally didn't make the squad of Jamaica. Benji Michel rejected his second consecutive Haiti senior call-up to accept his first US U23 call-up.

Pl@ymaker, TheFalseNine and BostonRed repped this.
  10. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    Andres Hernandez '00 was called with El Salavador U23. He was play in River Plate of Argentina, although apparently he left and now he is without a team.

11. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well well well. All the other paperwork was ready to go and at the last moment, Acosta refused to sign the last page and was not on the final Honduras roster after all. The talented, enigmatic former US U20 LB/LCB/DM still can play for the US at U23 or senior level. According to the article, USSF was collaborating regularly on this with the Honduras fed and clearly willing to let him go.

Pl@ymaker, slider4CU and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh

That is the most Danny Acosta thing possible. What a head case.

Pl@ymaker, xbhaskarx and TarHeels17 repped this.
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This is all obviously very strange, but if I'm Acosta I see no particular reason to rush out of the U.S. setup, such as he could be said to be in it, at this time.

The bar he'd need to cross to be considered one of the two best available U.S. LBs for Olympic qualifying is not impossibly high. Honduras, which hasn't exactly covered itself in soccer glory this year, will presumably still be there when all that's over.

Unless someone at U.S. Soccer said "Kid, there is absolutely nothing you can do that will ever get you another chance with us at any time or any level over the next 10 years," which I doubt, because why would they, might as well pull a Benji Michel.

It may still be a stretch, but you gotta gamble on yourself in this life.

onefineesq, KUSA77, mike4066 and 4 others repped this.
  14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'll push back on this. Simply said, Honduras is terrible at this moment and their YNTs are also terrible. On top of shipping 19 goals against in Poland they just lost to Curacao. Hondurans on Twitter are actually cheering him to reject the NT.

mike4066, ChuckMe92 and ATX1 repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Losing to Curacao isn't actually unexpected. Arguably the most improved team in CONCACAF. FIFA rankings tell us they're the 2nd best Caribbean team after Jamaica. Obviously, Honduras should beat them.................but Honduras has been in a tail-spin. I mean, we demolished them during our fateful WCQing campaign.

As far as Danny Acosta goes............yes, I would include him in our Olympic preparations. Give him a chance to win a left back role. Not our deepest position.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    [​IMG]

TarHeels17 repped this.
  17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    More seriously, Honduras is supposed to be a borderline regional power. Using a standard table method, according to Wikpedia, they're the #4 team in CONCACAF in the Hexagonal era, by a safe margin. Is something going on there, or is this just a bad run of results? I'd honestly like to know.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its odd because we know they have quite a number of MLS-level players.

As far as I can tell they've won one game since October of 2017. That one win was a 1-0 home victory over Panama.

As we know, Honduras the country has problems. I mean, its not surprising to me that an American kid doesn't really envision lots of travel to Honduras as fun.

The democratic crisis in Honduras has reached a boiling point
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...g-point/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e3f07a85c7b3

mike4066 repped this.
  19. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Waddya mean? San Pedro Sula is a hoot. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...3/may/15/san-pedro-sula-honduras-most-violent

20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '03s Fernando Alvarez and Adrian Gonzalez were in the squad for Mexico U16 as they drew 1-1 to Romania, lost 3-1 to Nigeria, and lost 5-0 to Japan at the Dream Cup.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Tweet from @ChuckMe92. One small correction, Carrera's father claimed that he would be getting his citizenship last week, so he should now be eligible for the USA. I think Letayf being here is bigger news than Carrera. He doesn't have citizenship yet.

1144016580818419713 is not a valid tweet id

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Does that mean if Letayf makes an appearance for Mexico he’s then ineligible for US or is that only in official comps

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can play in all the friendlies he wants. Only official competitions count.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Letayf's a nice player, but I'm not sure he has a really high ceiling. Carrera is a high risk player that makes lots of mistakes (which I'm fine with at his age) with a high ceiling. If I had to choose between the two, no question I'm taking Carrera.

Curious if others see something different in Letayf in terms of long term potential?

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    @BostonRed is correct. To add to that, this roster is for a friendly camp. He was called in for the qualifying tournament, but had to miss it due to injury. I think he's definitely in contention to make the Mexican U-17 WC team. If he makes that team and plays in that tournament, he won't be eligible for the USA. He's not close to citizenship, from what I last heard.