Yanks on Foreign YNTs (1997 and later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 15, 2016.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lateef Omidiji's sister posted this:

sophiaomotolaomidiji So proud of you baby bro- and proud of the Nigerian U15 team - keep shining @lateefomidijijr The Nigerian U15s fought from 2-0 down to beat Morocco in their first game of the African Youth Games. Next game Saturday vs Djibouti the a game on Monday vs Libya - you got this boys - bring home the Gold. #

[​IMG]

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Avilez seems to be called up a lot by Mexican USYNTs, but not play a lot..........................

I think he'd be in the mix for the US U20s, but hard to say whether he'd ultimately be selected. You don't get much past Brady Scott on the current U20 depth chart before you hit question marks.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If you were to ask me how he'd compare to the U-20 keepers this cycle, I'd put him firmly behind Scott, Garces and Muse. Is he better than Eric Lopez? That might be a little closer, but I'd still say probably not. IMO, probably 5th, if we were considering him as an option for the U-20's.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yeah.........but 4th/5th string ain't far away from the squad. Particularly if Brady Scott isn't available for qualifying. CJ dos Santos of Benfica could make a run at a spot I guess. I haven't seen enough of him to have any opinion.

Doesn't seem like it particularly matters. As long as Carlos keeps getting called up by Mexico, I don't think there's an incentive for him to switch.

As far as FCD goes, I see him as being nowhere ready yet for first team action. I'm not convinced he's as good as former USYNTer and current Furman keeper Ben Hale. Gut feeling? FCD signs Hale after the fall NCAA season to a homegrown deal. Hale & Avilez battle it out for third string first keeper & USL starter.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he picked up a red card. Mexico down 1-0 late:

Tom Collingsworth and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news is no Michael Barragan again, so he seems to be fairly firmly in the USYNT setup moving forward, even though at least one report has said Mexico wants him. The report says the US U17s and Mexico U17s will play each other twice, so Alvarez and Barragan will each get to face their former YNT teammates.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    For what it's worth, given that this is a U15 competition (and the AYG is kind of a mini-Olympics, not purely a soccer tournament) I assume it's not cap-tying.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1022948911227576322 is not a valid tweet id

12. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    1026580514336124929 is not a valid tweet id

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere.

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  16. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  18. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Former US U18 Alessandro Milesi is currently with Peru U20s.

19. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

21. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Don't blame them, these players aren't stray dogs that get scooped by a dog catcher, nor are college recruits where it's all fair game. People will choose where they feel better, recruitment attempts won't matter in these circumstances, this isn't D1 Gridiron or basketball. Whole different ball of wax.

For you to blame your fed implies the player could have been "seduced" to a side he was never going to choose. They're not programmable drones, they know where they belong. Your Fed shouldn't even interfere.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You seem to be unaware that he was playing with the USA prior to playing for Mexico.

23. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The USSF recently recruited a Mexico U15/U17 regular callup and the 2017-18 U15 Liga MX third-leading-scorer. And the recruiting of those two players took place on Mexican soil in the face of the FMF. The USSF should put the same effort into Alcala, who plays most of his soccer in the US.

24. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bite cause this is funny to think that the players will go to FMF without thought. Seduce might not be the right word but these dual citizens do and can choose between associations and they do so fully knowing what the choice means.

Its naive to think that we (USA) shouldn't "interfere" or that you guys (FMF) don't interfere.

25. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it's funny to think that there are people out there that think choosing a national team when you have options is unlike when people make any other decision in life.

There are pros/cons to every decision, and players go down their personal checklists. If one Federation tells you that you're great and going to be a big part of their *insert level* team, that's going to be a positive that you'll add to your list. If one is available to talk, and the other is not. If one holds camps that are fun and instructive, and the other does not. If the player has friends on one team, and not the other. And so on...