Yanks on Foreign YNTs (1997 and later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 15, 2016.

1. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps it's Gonzalez, but I don't think so. USAProspects emphasized "re-joining" in an additional tweet, specifically ruling out Tim Tillman because he has never officially been at a US camp before. Neither has Gonzalez.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Seems like Alvarez or Llanez.

3. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I know who it is

Hmm.jpg

He's not even following me.

4. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, this is from January:

Pl@ymaker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Romero is good. Probably would have made our U20 WC roster if he were still with us. I wouldn't doubt the US is at least monitoring him, as we now know they've been with Jesse Gonzalez.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know about that, really. Making this U-20 roster was essentially impossible because Ramos took a younger age group keeper like he usually does (Scott), and did his old boss a favor (Klinsmann), so it was a bunch of keepers battling for one spot, which Marcinkowski won.

IMO, Vom Steeg really got shafted. He should've been our starter, and while I do agree with bringing along Scott as the third keeper, I'm still not sure Romero would've been the best keeper for the #2 spot. I thought Freshman Kevin Silva at UCLA had a better season than a sophomore Klinsmann at UC Berkeley. He went into that program and as a true freshman eventually beat out a RS Senior who had started the previous season. And then we know Marcinkowski had a very good season as well. Romero is good, but I'm not sure he would've been any more than just in the pack of keepers. I thought we had decent keeper depth for this cycle (without the obvious high-end keeper), but Ramos made it worse due to picking Klinsmann, and not picking Vom Steeg. He essentially swapped a guy who was probably 6th, 7th, 8th on merit for the #1 keeper on merit, IMO.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  8. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fully agree Vom Steeg should have made the roster and I'd have picked him to start outright too, based on his performances in 4th-division Germany which is clearly tougher than college. Romero is good, but that's fair to say he wouldn't necessarily be a standout from the pack if still with the US. All this said, I was pleased with Klinsmann's performance in the last match, even if I balked at naming him the starter.

It's interesting that for the second U20 cycle in a row, Mexico has poached an American-born-and-raised, USSDA-developed keeper as their starter, Gonzalez for the 2015 cycle and Romero now. Their '99s have two more DA keepers in Avilez and Mercado. They also have an American-born keeper for their '01 cycle, Holguin, though I don't think he's been with the DA.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading this again, I must correct myself and say this is the third straight cycle in which Mexico has poached an American-born-and-raised DA-developed GK to be their starter, of course with Richard Sanchez (FCD) in '13. And their '01 U20 cycle does have an American DA keeper, David Ochoa of RSL AZ, who has been in camp with both Mexico and US YNTs within the last year. Not that we have been world-beaters in it lately, but Mexico just doesn't seem to do a good job of developing young keepers. They'll have dropped the ball if they lose Gonzalez.

10. Danny Woodhead

Jul 12, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Cape Cod Crusaders
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'll take it. Would've definitely preferred Alvarez, but Llanez is a good prospect, and a good add to our system.

Tom Collingsworth, Pl@ymaker and SUDano repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed this from a couple of weeks ago: Nebiyou Perry was with Sweden U18s for a couple of friendlies vs. Hungary. He started one match and got an assist, and made a sub appearance in the other match. Within the past couple years, if I'm keeping track correctly, his international path so far has been Sweden U15/16, US U18, Sweden U17 (played at U17 Euros), US U18, Sweden U18, US U18, Sweden U18 in that order. Sweden has the upper hand because he's provisionally cap-tied to them.

14. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #389 Tom Collingsworth, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    So with Gonzalez and Llanez seemingly in the fold, I'd be loving life right now if we could swing Alvarez back this way.

Of course there's still a seemingly strong contingent of German-Americans outside the program at the moment (Friede, Anton, T. Tillman, Malone) but I have plenty of confidence in reeling in any of that quartet that ultimately prove senior national team worthy. There's obviously a much higher bar to clear with the German setup than El Tri.

Mario Balotelli and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChuckMe92 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sidney Friede is on the final German roster for the UEFA U19 Championships:

Der deutsche EM-Kader
    Tor: Markus Schubert (Dynamo Dresden), Eike Bansen (Borussia Dortmund)

Abwehr: Julian Chabot (RB Leipzig), Jonas Busam (SC Freiburg), Dominik Franke (RB Leipzig), Gökhan Gül (Fortuna Düsseldorf), Felix Götze (Bayern München)

Mittelfeld: Bote Baku (Mainz 05), Aymen Barkok (Eintracht Frankfurt), Sidney Friede (Hertha BSC), Robin Hack (1899 Hoffenheim), Dennis Geiger (1899 Hoffenheim), David Raum (Greuther Fürth), Salih Özcan (1. FC Köln), Görkem Saglam (VfL Bochum), Mats Köhlert (Hamburger SV)

Sturm: Etienne Amenyido (Borussia Dortmund), Tobias Warschewski (Preußen Münster)

http://www.dfb.de/news/detail/schwere-entscheidungen-kramer-nominiert-finalen-em-kader-169761/

Pl@ymaker and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChuckMe92 repped this.
  19. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker and BostonRed repped this.
  20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been mentioned in this thread before, but Tampa-born '00 Andres Perea was provisionally cap-tied to Colombia after starting 7 of their 9 matches, wearing the #6, at the South American qualifiers for the 2017 U17 World Cup. He's in prime contention to make their U17 World Cup squad for India.

ussoccer97531, Pl@ymaker and BostonRed repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ussoccer97531 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England wins 4-1, so Germany exits the competition. Friede was called for the foul that resulted in England's opening PK goal.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Good example of how long the wait for some of these guys can (theoretically, since there's no reason to think he's considering the US at this point, nor am I aware that we've tried to recruit him). He's a '98, so too old for the next U17s, meaning his next chance to move over would be Olympic qualifying which, as we know, is its own kettle of fish. Meanwhile, there's the 2019 UEFA U21s, which are their Olympic qualifiers, though in a kind of unusual way since 1996s can play in that tournament. Bottom line, it's probably the MNT or nothing for Sidney at this point. I get that we could try to snag him at any time, though one assume's he's a stretch for Russia.

BostonRed repped this.
  24. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised one of those Nigerian sporting websites haven't put out some dedicated article for him, like they did for that young teenager that signed with Feyenoord.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I got a bunch of players to add to this list.

Lennard Maloney ('99 CB) for Germany. He played a friendly for Germany in April and also one in May. http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lennart-maloney/nationalmannschaft/spieler/392710

Nicholas Ammeter ('00 GK) for Switzerland. He played a friendly for Switzerland in May, and also has played some U-16 friendlies previously. https://www.transfermarkt.com/nicholas-ammeter/nationalmannschaft/spieler/387984/verein_id/23140

Michael Barragan ('02 CB?) for Mexico. He played a friendly for Mexico over a year ago. https://www.transfermarkt.com/michael-barragan/nationalmannschaft/spieler/432201

Tommy Mihalic ('02 forward) for Croatia. He played a friendly for Croatia in April. https://www.transfermarkt.com/tommy-mihalic/nationalmannschaft/spieler/502701

sakibomb523, ChuckMe92 and Pl@ymaker repped this.