Yanks called up for Poland match

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NavillusMot, Feb 20, 2006.

1. jägermeister

jägermeister New Member

May 18, 2004
    Hannover

To play devils advocate -

In the WC we're likely to need someone who invokes confidence, commands his penalty area and won't make stupid mistakes to give away cheap goals.

That's the dilemma now, isn't it? Which TH will you see?

All I know is that you have one keeper who plays every match, makes "timely" stops and is trusted by his team.

You have another who is obviously not trusted by his current team (justified or not) and who sits on the pine, instead of working on his weaknesses.

Plenty of reason for people to champion MH IMO. Just common sense.

If there is one position you don't gamble on - it's keeper.

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    this is of course the other side of the coin.

it's a question of Form vs Talent. That's a personal preference, and in this case I thin kTim's talent outweighs Hahneman's form

3. jägermeister

jägermeister New Member

May 18, 2004
    Hannover
    I'd agree with this at ANY other position other than keeper.

I'm a big talent plays first guy, but keeper is a different animal.

Not sure who I would pick, but if I had a fairly decent comfort level with MH's ability I would probably tend to go with form for a keeper.

Maybe TH will come to camp and the change of environment will energize him.

I just get so depressed thinking about him not playing. What a waste.

4. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's where I think the difference might lie. In ManU, Timmeh is out there with names and egos in front of him. I don't see anyone who lines up in front of him as being like the defenders at ManU. One thing most Americans still have going for them is more team and less individual focus.

So if I'm the Bruce I bring both in and see how they both fit in with the team chemistry. Maybe TH is more confident and able with his loyal countrymen, maybe not, but you use this next camp to find out. If he can't cut it then you potentially bring in a third, MLS keeper. Otherwise second or third is a matter of a how they perform in the camp. Keller is probably in goal for both games, anyway and definitely at the Cup.

5. usa_superfan

usa_superfan New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    St Louis, MO

I hope Rolfe makes the trip, but after that egg he layed in Guatemala game, I'm not so sure. Reyna will most likely not be there unless he's in the stands:

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=news&id=001549

6. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCk United will be in Spain Feb. 26-March 10, so Bruce could call in Olsen, Carroll, and/or Quaranta to make up for injuries to such as Reyna and Mastro.

7. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Here are the key things I think Bruce is trying to do with this game. Gel the MLS/YA's. I think he will try/should take Twellman and EJ to see how they fair again a European squad, maybe Wolff. He should call up Gibbs, because as soon as these guys are off injury we need to see what they can do.

I'm starting to agree with other that the time for experimenting should be winding down. Maybe all these games are to throw off the opponents in that WC that probably don't care to scout well anyways.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I do believe this is an argument about a very minor part of the USMNT, which order the keepers will sit on the bench.
    Still, MH's fans aren't merely on BS. They're throughout the CCC, managers and oppossing fans curse him constantly. Even Warnock singled him out.
    He's a legend to his own fans, and his own manager now merely notes in post game comments that "marcus has been doing that all year." the football press, hardly a forgiving sort here, joins in the praise chorus.
    Howard certainly has the tools to be a great keeper, but right now he's rusty and would not serve nearly as well as Marcus.
    As for Marcus distribution, it's much better than Kellers. i know, it didn't show v guat or whoever that was, but no one familar with the two in england (where they've both played a lot more games than they've played USMNT games) would disagree. His distribution has led, directly, to how many goals this year for Reading? If Howard had kept his starting role, there would be no question about Marcus being anything other than number 3 (and there would be a good argument for a younger 3 as experience for a future backup). But he lost his spot and spent a year enduring ridicule. I believe he will come back, but what reason is ther to play an out of form keeper with questionable confidence?

And Appoo, as for "low-level team" well, grrrr. (lower was what I think you meant).

9. Dolo

Dolo New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Steven Cherundolo is a no-surprise call-up. He has got the invitation already.
    So, I am wondering whether other players have been confirmed by now. Or will there be an official announcement later?
    edit: Ugh, there´s the roster release. :rolleyes:

10. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Interesting gloss by you and the Jager.

The reason I'd really like to see something impressive from Hahnemann with my own eyes is that I think there may be a double standard at work. ManU fans compare any keeper with Schmeichel; Reading fans compare Hahnemann with I-don't-know-who. So, I wonder.

From what's fresh in my memory, I thought Hahnemann made Luton's first goal too easy by coming off of his line late, and I thought he reacted very slowly to Luton's goal from outside the box; not saying he should've stopped it, but he should've gotten much closer to it. Obviously, he hasn't given up three goals many times this season, but this wasn't an impressive performance.

11. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, because Howard loses his position to a nominally better player, that makes him inferior to Hahnemann? Bizarre logic. As for Howard being rusty, would you please document that assertion or do you just "know" it? BA was a goal keeper himself. He knows keepers and he has other folks around him who also know keepers. I would trust their collective expertise on selecting goal keepers based on assessment of absolute skill level, as well as direct comparisons between Keller, Howard and Hahnemann, many thousands of times more than I would declarations of BS afficionados who have seldom, if ever, seen Hahnemann play, let alone practice. And, by the way, one play - good or bad - does not a keeper make; nor does playing decently behind an outstanding team.

12. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This isn't a large leap: Howard isn't playing. In sports terminology that means he's rusty. I didn't mean it literally. i doubt he has actual rust spots.
    I didn't say MH is a better keeper, btw. I said he's playing better right now, and I believe he's playing better because he actually is playing. I think there are other instances with the USMNT where roles are filled by players of less talent, but better form. Whoever has played in place of JOB, for instance. JOB is a better player than just about anyone else we through out there. He doesn't play much because he's not in shape to play much. Howard, of course, isn't injured. but he's benched this year, behind a very good keeper. that doesn't make the bench any more active during games.
    As for the notion that the USMNT staff knows this stuff better than we on BS, gee, I hope so. I'm not suggesting Arena take my advice, I'm spouting off with my opinion, an attempt at analysis.
    I've actually seen MH and KK play a lot more in the past year than Howard, I'll admit that. Mostly that's because Howard hasn't been playing much.
    And where do you come up with the one play argument? You're refuting a point you're bringing up. I'll admit, you're winning...;)

13. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Do you think there'll be scouts from Italy and Czech Republic during the game?

14. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    italy and the czechs would be foolish not to have a scout in person...

I suspect the in person scout, plus a tape analysis....

so who does arena have scout ghana on march 1st when they play mexico in dallas??

15. ayers

ayers Member

Jul 9, 2002
    somewhere
    adu. :D