Yanks called up for Poland match

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NavillusMot, Feb 20, 2006.

1. beastmode18

beastmode18 New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    natchitoches, la
    This is crazy. I am tired of this Howard bashing. He IS out of form. But I would like you to name a goal keeper who has been more of a part of the national team than Howard. (Besides KK) Yes, Arena says if your not starting for your club then you are not playing for the nats. Does anyone actually think that Howard will be playing a game in Germany? Also, in the games with the nats in the last year, he has done absolutly nothing to hurt his chances. Arena is not a coach that is just going to change his mind 4 months before the world cup. That is why Wolf will be there too. TRUST ME!!

Three Keepers in Germany
    Keller
    Hannaman(sp?)
    Howard

2. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Hopefully no-one will complain if I try to get this thread back on topic. ;)

Definite call-ups:
    Beasley
    Berhalter
    Bocanegra
    Cherundolo
    Hahnemann
    Howard
    Keller
    Lewis
    McBride
    Onyewu
    Spector

Definite call-ups if healthy:
    Gibbs
    O'Brien
    Reyna

Would also like to see in camp:
    DeMerit
    Nguyen
    Simek
    Whitbread

3. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (

I think this is probably correct. If KK gets hurt then BA begs Friedel out of retirement. (I am still sort of shocked Brad hasn't resurfaced yet.) Now if Marcus or Timmay go down and one of those schlubs like Ries or Hartmann go instead of Joe Cannon, well at least they won't play.

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect that the players will leave immediately after the first leg, and train for this game. There are two weeks between the 2 legs of the CCC this round, and the Poland game fits snugly in between them. If I were the coaches of the Revs and Gals, I wouldn't have a problem with the guys getting in some work with the national team between the 2 legs. Injuries could just as easily happen at Revs and Gals camp as they could at national team camp. Plus, the March 1 date is a FIFA date. So Bruce SHOULD call up these players who are fighting for spots and time with the national team, regardless of what the club coaches say. That's the way the rule works. The real issue is what is going to happen if NE and LA advance to the next round. The first leg of the semifinals occurs on the day of the Germany game, which is NOT on a FIFA date. If I were a coach of either the Gals or Revs, I know that I would keep my players for the games. However, who knows whether Sampson and Nicol will stand up and make that demand.

5. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is interesting. I don't think Spector has played his way on the squad and it wouldn't surprise me that the Euro cut is right above Spector. I think it is possible that BA would call in some younger guys for practice but not playing in the game. But is Spector is not going, then it will be a veteran scene.

Usually, the MLS teams are eliminated after the first round of the Champions Cup anyway .. . Just Kidding, I am sure the Galaxy and Revs will change that this year.

6. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Whether or not Gibbs' has returned to action for Den Haag, I'd expect him to be in camp. It may be the only time Arena has to look at him before picking his roster (same with O'Brien) and if you heard his podcast, Arena seemed convinced that Cory was about to take the field again for Den Haag very soon...

Guy's like Gibbs and O'Brien, guys that Arena has specifically stated hold special qualities for this team, are going to be given more leverage than others. That's just reality. And I'm somewhat surprised at how quickly Gibbs has become the new flavor of the month axed off the US roster. I think people have forgotten exactly what he provides...

7. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC

well what does he provide? i remember the game 2 yrs ago againt holland with rvn but he has had 2 knees surgeries and has been out over 8 months right now. This is not like he tore his acl and is back, multiple surgeries and still not at 100%. If his previous skill was man-marking, and he has knee problems now, then who is to say he will have those same abilities when he returns to the pitch?

Plus, thinking back to his st pauli days, he does have a history of ailments (i am too lazy to look up his DNP stats).

It is a legitimite question when conrad is playing well and everyone forgets about beerholder, whether or not we take an "iffy" cory gibbs

8. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think Gibbs gets a call because he just got better

Danny Calif is another possability

9. El-Professor

El-Professor New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Gulf Plains
    I've posted this elsewhere but I expect 2-3, maybe 4 new faces for Poland and 1-2 new caps. I know everyone is pissing their pants that it is "too late" for tryouts. But we just finished trying out every ounce of MLS talent and there is no reason that a week following that BA wouldn't take a look at Euro talent he hasn't seen yet. This is particularly true with all of the injury questions. BA will try to make the roster all Euro (he's hinted at this several times in the last two weeks) and only bring in domestics to fill in. That means the Galaxians and Revoltuionaries stay home and practice with their club teams.
    Possible new faces are many: Simek, Whitebread, Spector, Nguyn, Johnson, and others.
    Its not too late to tryout players and BA will do this on Wednesday, bank on it.

10. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying you're wrong, but this would surprise me. The 6-week camp is totally different than 2 Euro games, only one of which is an official friendly date. The camp for MLS talent is a huge luxury that Bruce just doesn't have with the Euros. Even if he brings in all the borderline guys who play overseas, what are a few practices & one or two games going to tell him? I think he's going to bring in & try to integrate the top Euros with the top MLS'ers.

11. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    It will be interesting to see what Arena does, but I'll be surprised if anyone new gets a cap. The Galaxians and Revs should be available for the Poland game. Their CCC game is not until a week later IIRC. And, it's a FIFA international date (the only one until May), so Arena has the right to call them in. There's plenty of Euros and MLS guys to fill out the roster without calling in uncapped players.

P.S. Spector is not uncapped. I do expect him to be there, but none of the others you list. If Arena wants to evaluate them now, why didn't he call them up for the Scotland game? Answer--none of them have shown enough in club play to merit a call up.

12. wva97

wva97 Member

Jun 8, 2002
    east coast/west coas
    I have to believe that Arena wants to try someone other than Lewis and Convey in the back. That scenario would allow the best talent to be on the field together, i.e. freeing up space for Beas. Do any of the following play left back?

Simek
    Whitbred
    DeMerit - plays the middle, correct?

Does Pearce get another shot?

I really hope that Bruce doesn't resort to putting Bocanegra at left back. From all accounts, he can play it, but hasn't performed that well there at Fulham.

13. CaliManU

CaliManU New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Feilhaber over Nguyen? Feilhaber has yet to get into the first team with a good Hamburg team. Nguyen has played for PSV Eindhoven already. I'm pretty sure they won a double last year and went to CL semis. In terms of professional career so far, Nguyen is ahead of Feilhaber at this point. In terms of position need, that's up to Bruce.

14. riles9999

riles9999 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Somerset, NJ

I love it when people say 'poppycock'!
    Pishaw, and balderdash are two of my favorites as well... :)
    Honestly...

15. Edwin Thorne

Edwin Thorne New Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    People seem hung up on Nguyen just because he got some first team action. I would like to note that according to an article I read on the Nguyen posting here on BS, The Dutch believe in throwing players out on the field and seeing whether they "sink or swim." If this is the case, I would not read too much to Nguyens time on the field as the Manager was probably trying to ascertain where he is at this time and what needs to be worked on and most importantly ....does he sink or swim.

Not a justification to go over players with more significant playing records in Europe, not to mention form. (Jemal Johnson, Benny Feilhaber, Johan Smith, Jay DeMerit, Frank Simek.....all deserve call ups before Nguyen)

16. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have no idea who Arena is going to call up but the line-up but if i was Arena this is probably who i'd call up

GKs:
    Howard
    Hahnemann
    Alternates-Keller(Germany game), Cannon*

DFs:
    Cherundolo
    Bocanegra
    Simek
    DeMerit
    Lewis
    Onyewu
    Spector
    Alternates-Marshall, Berhalter(Germany game)Borchers, Califf, Pearce, Whitbread, Gibbs*, Albright*

MFs:
    Beasley
    Convey
    Zavagnin
    Fielhaber
    Noonan
    Olsen
    Dempsey
    Ralston*
    Alternates-Klein, Nguyen, Noonan, Klein, Mastroeni*, O' Brien*, Clark*, Mapp*, Reyna*

FWs:
    McBride
    Casey
    E. Johnson
    Cunningham
    Gomez
    Buddle
    Alternates-Wolff, Rolfe, Twellman

*=if healthy

Line-up i'd like to see
    1st-Half
    -----------------McBride----EJ------------------
    ----------------------Convey-------------------
    Beasley---------------------------------Dempsey
    ---------------------Zavagnin------------------
    Lewis-----------------------------------Cherundolo
    --------------Boca-----------Onyewu-----------
    ---------------------Howard----------------------
    Bench:Hahnemann, Simek, Spector, Olsen, Noonan, Fielhaber, Cunningham

start of 2nd Half:
    ------------------McBride----Cunningham-----------
    -----------------------Dempsey--------------------
    Beasley-------------------------------------Convey
    ------------------------Olsen---------------------
    Spector-----------------------------------Cherundolo
    -----------------Boca----------Onyewu-------------
    ------------------------Hahnemann----------------

2nd half subs:
    Fielhaber in for Dolo, move Olsen to right back. 75th-80th minute
    Noonan in for Dempsey 75th-85th minute

*as you can see i don't care too much about the result.

17. aueagle1

aueagle1 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Washington DC
  18. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    i don't think there is any indication that Arena would, or would want to, take the LA and NE players away from their clubs for the March 1 match, even though it falls on a Fifa matchday. of course I could be way off target, but I did hear in a recent post-game press conference that the squad v POL will be primarily YA-based, and the squad v GER will be primarily MLS players.

of course each might be complimented by the other to fill out the two rosters, but I just don't see BA needing to call in player involved in Confederation tournaments with their clubs to play in international friendlies. although, I've been wrong before.

I guess we'll know more on Wednesday.

19. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I'd be willing to make a wager on Gibbs being called up for this camp.

Calling up Califf would be a waste. He's behind Onyewu, Bocanegra, Pope, Berhalter, Gibbs (even one coming back from injury), Conrad, and maybe even Spector... He's been inconsistent in the back for Aalborg and we have much better options.

If Gibbs isn't called up, I'll eat crow, but the fact that Arena mentioned him in his presser yesterday makes me think he's still thinking very highly of Cory and what he brings. If he starts playing consistently for ADO, I don't think theres much Conrad can do except hope Cory gets hurt again.

20. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Primarily doesn't meant entirely.

I think at the very least Bruce needs to call in Donovan. Twellman and Dempsey would be good callups for Poland too. These are all guys with legit chances at starting when everyone's available. Its not like the Revs are taking the CCC that seriously anyways...

21. jägermeister

jägermeister New Member

May 18, 2004
    Hannover

If healthy, the Battle Spider is going to Germany, for friendlies, and then the cup.

22. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    here's my Q, will the bench players make as much portion of bonus as the starters ? i think they made as much as $ 400,000 (i don't know if they all made the same) last time around, no wonder everyone wants to be in the WC roster.

23. geofritz

geofritz New Member

Oct 16, 2004
    Grand Haven, MI
    I agree. Especially Donovan as I think he figures so prominently in the teams chemistry. If Twellman and Dempsey are players that coach Arena really wants in they ought to be there. The sooner they spend time with euro-based players and a more european atmosphere the better.

24. CaliManU

CaliManU New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Significant playing records? Jemal Johnson, Blackburn Reserves. Benny Feilhaber, Hamburg II. Johan Smith I've never heard of. Jay DeMerit, Watford (CCC), Frank Simek, Sheffield (CCC)... To recap, two reserve team players, two second division players, and an unheard of. Without any real necessity at any of their positions. Sounds like you've got a solid point.