Yanks called up for Poland match

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NavillusMot, Feb 20, 2006.

1. NavillusMot

NavillusMot New Member

Apr 27, 2002
    USA
    Is there any news to who might get called up for the US v. Poland match in Germany. I know that most the players will be European based. I would like to see some of the younger guys, like Spector, get a chance. I expect to see some vets, but also a good mixture of newer faces.

Howard
    Keller
    Dolo
    Boca
    Gibbs (maybe not b/c of him just returning from injury)
    Onyewu
    Convey
    Beasley
    McBride
    Lewis
    Feilhaber
    Spector
    Bradley
    Nguyen

The last two are long shots, but I think it would be nice just to give them a taste of what it takes to make it to the full nats.

I imagine the regulars from the MLS will be there too.

Donovan
    Dempsey
    Twellman
    Wolff
    Mastroeni

2. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I've posted this a couple other places, but someone with the Wizards told me that Conrad, Zavagnin, Wolff and Johnson will all be with the team in Germany for the Poland game.

3. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Mastroeni won't be ready by then.

4. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

If the last few games don't prove that this list should be longer, I don't imagine that many other things would.

5. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your roster.

For the life of me, I can't understand why people keep putting Howard on their rosters - he's not playing, people! He hasn't been a regular starter for over a year and a half.

Marcus Hahnemann has been tearing it up at Reading and will be the #2 GK. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous. The #3 will be from MLS (Reis or Hartman).

6. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much will the CONCACAF Champions Cup (or whatever it's called) affect the availablity of Galaxy and Revs players?

7. FreedomJess

FreedomJess New Member

Nov 7, 2005
    AZ
    I totally agree with you. Just because Howard, which I happen to like and respect, plays for ManU, doesn't mean he deserves a callup for the WC. I would like to see Hartman go, but I think it will be Reis because he is so fun to be around and would be a great locker room presence.

8. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the end of the Hex Arena came out and said that Howard was his #2 keeper and would remain so through the World Cup. Now me being me, I'm going to put more stock in his words than yours.

9. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he did not. Please provide the link as he made no such statement.

10. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    BA willl announce the call-ups wednesday

11. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt the last four you picked will get called up. Maybe Feilhaber and Spector but not Bradley of Nguyen.

12. laloca

laloca New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    If Adu doesn't play enough, then certainly Howard does not play enough to earn a place on the team. Why not give DeMerit a look? Gibbs will not be ready in any case.

13. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No link. It was in the pregame of the Panama (or maybe Guatemala?) match.

Ridge Mahoney speculates that Howard may have fallen to #3 by now, and I think that speculation is worthwhile, but the only chance of him missing the party entirely is if he gets hurt.

14. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever. Didn't happen. What I think you are thinking of was Bruce commenting that Howard was likely to be the next in line after Kasey going forward after 2006. However, Bruce certainly did not say that Howard was his #2 keeper and would definitely be so at the World Cup -- heck he's not even guaranteeing anyone a spot on the team as of his most recent interview, how/why on earth would you think he would guarantee the #2 keeper slot.

poppycock.

15. Swazicar

Swazicar Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Portland, Ore.
    Someone with a high-speed connection will provide a link, I'm sure. (I'm still waiting on indoor plumbing.) But Bruce did say that Howard was #2. Of course, he has the right to re-evaluate the pecking order (as would I).

16. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    i agree, not that Howard isn't a good talent but, i would prefer the one who is playing regularly, probably he will be back to the first team and be US no. 1 for the WC 2010, who knows ....

17. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speculating as to the #2 US 'keeper is like arguing about whether a tree falling in the woods makes a sound if no one hears it. Keller will start every single match for the US. If he gets hurt before May, Brad Friedel will start every single match for the US. Let's just all pray that nothing happens to KK after May.

(IMO, Marcus should get the nod, but his distribution is not what we need to play effective counter-attacking ball).

18. Edwin Thorne

Edwin Thorne New Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I disagree with choice of Nguyen and Bradley. Both have just moved into larger roles in Europe and starting to show promise. I think Jemal Johnson (Blackburn Rovers) who has been playing well with Blackburn Reserves, including a call-ups to senior squad (1 Goal in 5 appearances), would be a better selection for young player to bring into camp.

19. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, no one other than Keller/Friedel plays in the WC unless they get hurt during the WC.

I see very little of Hahnemann actually, but based on the 45 minutes that Howard played against Portsmouth recently, I can't imagine Marcus is playing worse.

Lee

20. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think this camp should be for players who will or possibly will be on this World Cup roster. As far as I am concerned its too late to "check out" Nguyen, Bradley, Feilhaber, Jemel, etc.
    If they have a REAL shot at making THIS WC team, bring 'em in, otherwise leave their chances until after they world cup is over.

Just my opinion but I think its time to start finalizing the world cup roster.

Lee

21. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the link. That said, neither there nor anywhere else does Bruce say that Tim is or will be the #2 keeper in Germany. Here is the quote, just so we're clear.

22. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Of course he did -- I am not and never did argue that point. My point was about guaranteeing spots for Germany which is what we are talking about. At this point, as far as I am aware, Bruce has made no such guarantees -- even in his post-Guat podcast he went so far as to say that Beasley and Donovan have not punched their tickets.

23. Edwin Thorne

Edwin Thorne New Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    The only reason I am advocating Jemal Johnson is that I think we all will admit that the fourth Forward position is a big question mark. A lot believe Wolff is a lock, but mainly because no one else to challenge him. Granted I have not seen Jemal Johnson play, however, from what I have read he seems to be an option at forward. Thus, I would like to see him at camp at least to get a looksee and possibly some action if he does good.

24. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

You've got to be kidding me. Only Howard kept United from giving up two more goals.