Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week: 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 16, 2019.

1. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he leads his thread off with 'stuff that doesn't make sense...'

And then suggests 'we' as if he's got allies in his delusion.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Speaking of Ajax, US U20 Alex Mendez just moved there from Freiburg!

3. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great move for him

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  4. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    He played over 1300+ minutes in the Dutch 2nd division last season. 16 teams in that division are independant clubs playing men. Dest is not as experienced as Robinson but to say he's played less than 5 games against pros is wrong.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And this is the Dutch second division. The same division we initially called up Novakovich from while he was at Telstar............................

6. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    For those that dont venture to the Yanks Abroad forum just wanted to say that Weah has lost a lot of competition for playing time as Lille sold not only Pepe but also Rafeal Leao (who was key for them down the stretch) so Weah will be expected to contribute a lot this year

7. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Miazga's ceiling is visible. I had higher hopes for him when he left RBNY. Very Tim Ream-like in terms of his level.

Mendez is boom or bust prospect for me.

8. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    In terms of level, Miazga is more Boca-like than Ream-like. Miazga looks good enough to sustain a career in the Big 5 and to be quality contributor to the NT.

6 ft. Leprechaun and UncagedGorilla repped this.
  10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    It’s hard for me to see his ceiling. Any thoughts as to why a bottom half big 4 team didn’t take him?

11. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #136 juvechelsea, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    This is kind of like I hear Trapp being talked about like a YNT guy at actually 26. This is not a developmental upside player. He is what he is and isn't worth much. QED, he should be dumped.

Miazga is 23 and has been pro since 2013. He is going to be fairly fully formed already. His career ever since he signed with CFC is a roller coaster. What he needs is to stay in one place for a while and play. I get push yourself for 18 year olds. I get push yourself for someone who is successful at their current level. This is a guy unwanted by the team who owns him and a few months off the Nantes rubbish pile. We finally found someplace that will play him. Leave him be.

People keep pushing big club signings and without fail they go on loan and become this sort of pawn. CFC is never going to be interested enough. What we need is for them to sell him, and for him to land someplace where he is a starter in the long term plans.

I realize that this is a boom period for Americans breaking into serious Europe but before I think players were more savvy and thoughtful about NT implications and finding someplace where they play. More akin to the women, who all could play in France for more money, but stay here because it helps the WNT get games. At minimum, the game used to be, take front half of the cycle risks and then land someplace beneficial to the NT when money was on the table. I get ambition and big contracts and name brand teams but we have so long a list of players in this kind of limbo that doesn't seem to help their careers or the NT, beyond the affiliation and the paycheck.

There are no absolute rules, Pulisic is an exception. I just think it's silly encouraging whole swathes of the team to imitate Pulisic when they aren't the same sort of first team bait.

12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I mean, while I disagree with the way Berhalter does his selections, taking his process for granted, you have a coach who openly appears very concerned with club appearances and form, IMO to a myopic fault (a distinction could be made, for example, between Weah and Wood). Even if you didn't buy my more positive general theory that players are wise to keep playing time in mind, Berhalter is executing a negative version of the same maxim by punishment, leaving off Green, Wood, Weah, Sargent, etc. Knowing that anyone short of The Great Pulisic is subject to omission on vague notions of club form, why give him a chance? Any minute now Brooks comes back, and while I think that's foolish, you don't want to just hand him excuses to bench or drop you.

13. You beat me to it. Indeed. The big plus for the Young teams in that league is the fact that they play against professional adult men.
    Feyenoord is feeling the stupidity of refusing to enlist their Young team into that league, as the young kids of the competitors make big strides because of that, while our Young team plays boys games.

TxEx and Pegasus repped this.
  14. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I've wondered this myself. He seemed to do well last year and I thought he was ready for a better team.

DHC1 repped this.
  15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Even more interesting now as bshredder is reporting Ligue 1 interest in Long....

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'm sure the answer is more complex than this, but the sense I get is that Miazga's contract with Chelsea has been helpful for his bank account but not for his transfer prospects, given that he's likely to have been 'overpriced.'

17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Any idea into how much his wages are? i'd think that Long would improve his $900K upon any transfer so there's a benchmark.

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Sorry, I don't know, nor what the Reading/Chelsea proportion of the current loan tab might be, but likely that has been discussed in Miazga's YA thread.

19. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve seen 780,000 pounds a year but those sources are all very questionable.

20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    If true, that shouldn’t be an impediment to a loan, particularly if CFC pays for any piece of it.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    1. resume. his one stint in a big 5 league was not all that impressive. His time in the Netherlands was good, but not great. Onyewu, for example, earned a move from the Belgian First Div to AC Milan. But he had been two-time Best Foreign Player and two-time Best XI.

2. attitude. there were some immature episodes that may have counted against him.

3. age. he's 24 now. It's got to be about performance, rather than about potential.

4. weaknesses. statistically, he makes too many mistakes. gotta fix that.

DHC1 repped this.
  22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got to respect a guy who loves his team but can be realistic and critical when it's appropriate.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The problem with good teams in good leagues is that they often play against other good teams, too, and while Miazga is an asset coming out of the back playing, he's a liability in defense when there is a counter and he's ten steps out of where he should be.

In the Championship that's not a big issue, since the play is mainly physical and so far you run enough forward and back, you'll manage. But in France, where the players are smarter, it is, and when Matt was going forward, already a couple of the rivals were looking at the open channels left once the inevitable turnover happened.

A team in a strong league cannot afford those mistakes. And they usually already have players quite capable to come out of the back passing the ball, so there's no point in getting one who does that but is not so good at the defensive part of the game.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  24. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Lampard may be reevaluating where he plays Puli.

Only preseason but after the last game vs RBL....winger. He is far more effective on the flanks making runs in behind. Playing centrally stifles his game imo

tomásbernal repped this.
  25. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. He does seem to be much better when he's got space to run at players than receiving the ball with his back to goal.

FeedhimtothepigsArold repped this.