Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week: 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Only for people in the English-speaking world, where the EPL has always been the #1 even when none of their clubs made a Champions semi.

We all know the trick to prove something with stats is knowing what stats to pick.

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    No, this is based on the 538 and common sense.

3. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    dest is our left back. ernie and greggg congratulate him publicly please and tease a callup

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He had a great game?

Marius Tresor repped this.
  5. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    he held his own. Some dumb giveaways some sound defending. Lots of offensive threat. Shot one off the post. There is no one in the pool that could’ve done better imo and that’s before even getting into the fact it was his debut

6. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Want to see more but it was very very encouraging.

In other news word is Steffen is favorite to be the number 1 for Fortuna Dusseldorf and sadly word is Tyler Adams is not close to returning

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Adams needs surgery?

8. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    #83 Marius Tresor, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    I watched the whole game on GolTV.

Sergino Dest started at left back for Ajax against PSV in the Dutch SuperCup in front of a packed stadium in Amsterdam. He got pushed off the ball a couple of times. Not really errors. He recovered both times, once giving up a foul on the edge of the box, but prevented a cross/shot. The rest was pretty much flawless. He played on the left but was good with both feet. He showed excellent positional and tactical awareness. He intercepted some passes. He was dangerous going forward. He had a couple of shots on goal and could have had an assist if the finishing were better. He showed excellent speed, drew a yellow card as he blew past the PSV defense. Made a great stepover move in the box and shot off the post. Mexico's Lozano played the second half for PSV. But Dest looked like the more dangerous player on the attack on the day, which is quite an achievement for a LB.

Even at 18, he should have just been elevated to #1 on the USMNT left back depth chart. I mean over current #1 Ream and #2 Lovitz.

9. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

IndividualEleven and Marius Tresor repped this.
  10. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Just watching the all-touch video, it looks like he had problems in a couple physical challenges and had a couple not so good giveaways, but nothing egregious, while looking comfortable on the ball and dangerous going forward. I usually counsel patience with giving caps to inexperienced youngsters, but given that he's playing LB now, and that he's a dual nat, I'd say to cap tie him this fall, if he maintains a spot on the Ajax first team (even if he's not starting or getting a ton of minutes). It's just too great a risk to let a potential UCL level LB slip away.

Bajoro, KUSA77, manq360 and 5 others repped this.
  11. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Yep, only a couple of issues, which is pretty damn good given his high level of involvement against a top notch opponent:

Excellency, largegarlic and Winoman repped this.
  12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berhalter on Dest - [if] plays season for Ajax at left Back.

“He’s just right below Zardes right now at Center Forward.”

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    May as well use the Nations League to tie up Aruajo, Dest, and Mendez. Anyone else?

RalleeMonkey, Winoman and Marius Tresor repped this.
  14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    So we have Gloster, Robinson, and Dest at left back. Not a bad overseas contingent.

Patrick167, Winoman and Marius Tresor repped this.
  15. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not taking anything away from his play, but we dont know if ajax has any plans to actually play him at lb going forward. the only takeaway is that he is showing he can play well with the first team in a preseason and one competitive match thus far. that its probably on his "weak" side is good just in knowing he should be even better on the right.

dont get me wrong- im definitely not against "gaining" a left back for the nats, but lb for ajax means very, very limited minutes. im just glad that ability to play both sides makes him a lot more attractive as a bench option (which realistically is what hes going to be this year).

16. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    I don't know, the Dutch reviews have been pretty glowing. We shall see. But Egg needs to make it a priority to call him up and get him integrated into the group.

RalleeMonkey and IndividualEleven repped this.
  17. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Abductor injuries are a mother.

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    hv to say I don't think Dest is a left back. He'll be a heck of a right back for us. Much better than Yedlin. I'd say our best right backs would be dest-thompson with Lima/Cannon pushing for a chance as well. Left back is a black hole.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    They're all bad.

20. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    C'mon man. Did you watch the Ajax-PSV game? He looked great as a left back. The fact that he can play both sides is a huge bonus.

21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  22. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    appwrangler and dougtee repped this.
  23. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    watched the match and the all touch video and there is no way i could ever get to bad for that performance

24. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Winoman and Marius Tresor repped this.