Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week: 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 16, 2019.

1. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    richards started and played a ton of minutes in bayerns us tour last pre-season

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see Sargent score again. He has a sweet stroke and doesn't sky stuff often. Now, hopefully that will boost his confidence and he will go on a tear.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He's always been tall. One of the tallest kids on all youth teams. Might end up as something like 6'2" striker.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  5. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a big fan of that move. Would have rather he ended up at a better club than Redding but the good news is he will be a lock starter and play a lot.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    What Matt really needs is stability as opposed to being passed around Europe like an STD. Matt "Chlamydia" Miazga needs to find a good home.

He had a bad experience in France last season, and found some sort of home at Reading. Hopefully he can really blossom this season.

7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had stability at Vitesse for 2 years. Now he's going back to get it at the same level club w/ Reading. He's spinning his wheels.

What he needed was to go to a similar level or a little higher club than he was OK w/ for a half season at Nantes. Only this time hopefully his manager wouldn't depart and it would be a permanent move so that team was invested with him as opposed to when he's a loanee. Then he can ascend from there w/ patience from the club as he did w/ NYRB and Vitesse, if that's indeed what's required.

Chelsea and Joorabchian have done him dirty using him as a negotiation piece and future asset to continually be on a trial carousel. He's sort of a cautionary tale because there was no shortage of talent displayed from a very young age for a central defender. Not a disaster but a failure of mismanagement.

8. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He spent two seasons in Holland and had 1 failed move to France before ending up in Redding for now 2 years 1 and a half). Not sure that’s a fair description. I think he could be in a better spot but it’s not the worse as he will play but I’d rather he take a second go in France or Italy.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sure. But a guy can only go where he's wanted.
    I'm sure if a Bundesliga club came calling, then he'd be there.
    [That's where Chelsea sent Andreas Christensen, for instance. To Gladbach if I remember.]

Chelsea loaned another CB, Czech Tomas Kalas, around Europe for almost a decade. From 2010 to 2019. Amazing. His last three stops were Fulham, Boro, and Bristol City in the Championship. His contract finally ended this season, and now he's signed on permanently at Bristol City.

That's kind of the trap that Miazga has fallen into.

Frankly, Erik Palmer-Brown is clearly in a similar trap. After being named the best player at the 2017 CONCACAF U20 Championships, he was signed by Man City. After being loaned to Kortrijk in Belgium and then NAC Breda last season, the kid was most recently seen working out with Austria Vienna. Crazy. I just dislike the model all around.

Here's what has to be avoided. The career of Jamaican CB Michael Hector. 15 different loans since 2009. 15! The guy is only 26! And he's not bad as we learned in the Gold Cup.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Hector

TheRightPants and MPNumber9 repped this.
  10. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

Bristol City paid 8 million for him

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-bristol-city-in-record-transfer-from-chelsea

Chelsea made a 3 million profit on him and didn't pay his wages and probably got some loan fees as well.

Not bad business.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #61 Clint Eastwood, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Not bad business for them.

Horrible for Tomas Kalas. He was a highly thought of Czech youth international (which is what got him to Chelsea in the first place) that was subsequently in the wilderness for a long time.

If I'm Erik Palmer-Brown that's what I'm worried about. Not gaining any real upwards momentum as other US-eligible CBs that don't have the same ceiling are able to establish themselves via stable and consistent club careers.

Matt Miazga is now starting his second go around at a club that barely scraped past relegation from the English championship. A club that was nowhere near as good as the one that Cameron Carter-Vickers started 30 games for last season.

I don't even view being a starter at Reading as necessarily being better than a starter at NYRB in terms of the USMNT. See Aaron Long. So after being signed away from MLS in 2016, is Matt's career vis-a-vi the USMNT actually in a better place now? I don't see it other than his bank account is in better shape (which of course means a lot). I've seen very little advancement or development as a player.

We were all told this story in 2016 about how Matt Miazga's agents (the really seedy Kia Joorabchian) made him a throw-in player so that Chelsea had first dibs on a bigger signing from South America. There were thus rumors that they weren't even interested when they signed him. It's just bad. Bad, bad, bad.

largegarlic repped this.
  12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I agree that Reading isn’t better than MLS level so it appears to be a lateral move. I think Miazga’s passing is much better than 4 years ago.

For me, it shows that the gap between the major and minor leagues is quite large and it’s hard to make the jump from MLS/Championship/B2 to regular, multi-year playing time in the Big 4.

13. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    We had a discussion on over-shooting your mark when you transfer abroad, in another thread. I'd much rather see a guy go to a club where he's going to play, be valued, than where he's clearly going to be a loaner.

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Miazga has always been a winner with the sole exception being the stint he had in France with the manager who seemed to be on some holy way against poor Matt.

ASN view is that he helped Reading escape relegation where they were when Matt joined before they moved up the table.
    http://www.americansoccernow.com/ar...for-long-arriola-epb-while-preseason-heats-up:
    Aside from a shaky half-season at Nantes in France, Miazga has had a very nice career that has shown an upward trajectory and one where he has helped his clubs achieve big objectives (Supporters Shield for New York, Dutch Cup and Europa playoff qualification at Vitesse, and survival at Reading). Another positive season will put distance between him and Nantes.

I think he could be a winner with USMNT too if he had the right partners/manager.

largegarlic and Winoman repped this.
  15. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    He's a top 3 CB for us, it's kinda funny, I think there are very few era's the past decade where he wouldn't be a starter, the Pope/Gooch/Boca years maybe not, but other than that, I think he fits right in as a top 2 guy w/any other side, at worst top 3. I'm happy w/him. He's not as great as I'd hoped he'd bet, but her's better than most partner CB's we've had over the years since Pope retired.

16. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d take the Besler Cameron combo over him.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, news on Cameron today. Signed by QPR on a free transfer.

UncagedGorilla and Winoman repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Potentially important debut tomorrow. Gloster, a left back, impressed many at the recent U20 World Cup.
    1154567322062983173 is not a valid tweet id

edcrocker and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vitesse, the #5/#6 club in the Eredivisie, is above Reading, a bottom-quarter of the table in the Ch'ship.

So I don't think Matt staying in Miazga is exactly gaining him points for "Flavor of the Week" unless it's because of the certainty of him getting starts.

The one I'm quite excited about is Weah. Lille is an under-appreciated team.

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Using the 538 data, C'ship is a bit ahead of the Eredivisie, and quite a ways stronger than MLS.

Patrick167 and UncagedGorilla repped this.
  21. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Right and wrong. I agree and it is evident that he has talent. He has played and been significant, with exception of Nantes, in his loans. I disagree about the mismanagement part because he is getting paid well, plays wherever he goes and seems to be progressing. You can only go where they want you, and I think he had choices. He picked Reading. What is wrong with playing where you want and making money. He has a long road ahead and many things can happen. His trajectory seems fine to me. How many 20yos walk into a top 5 club and maintain their starting position as a CB?

IndividualEleven repped this.
  22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He hasn't progressed since improved at Vitesse. Nantes didn't allow him to hang around long enough to conquer that level. So he went back to an Eredivisie equivalent w/ Reading, only with no Europa League. Now he's doubling down. If he conquers that level he'll be back where he already was a couple years, maybe a little lower.

If he was sold to a smaller EPL/RB Leipzig club originally he wouldn't have been passed around nearly as much and could have progressed at the top level. Or if he was transferred from Chelsea to a low to mid table EPL or BL this offseason he could have back doored that. It keeps getting put off. He's being used for hope of some bigger payday. He could have been making plenty initially and set up better for a big move long-term with stability at a good developing European club or at least more patient because they aren't elite.

largegarlic repped this.
  23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    There is no god given right to 'progress'. Players can progress in MLS, like Aaron has done. They can do it in a mid-level Euro league, like DeMerrit had done. They can do it at the top level, like McKennie and Pulisic have done. They can do it as loanee, like Antonne Robinson as done.

C'ship is a half-step up from the Eredivise. The leagues have different profiles, with the latter being much more of a young player's league. Miazga is in a good league. He is liked and wanted by the Reading and its fans. He is 24, now. Time to start getting 30 games a season. He looks to be C'ship/Lower third of the Prem quality, which is fine for a US CB.

24. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Dest is starting for Ajax in their first competitive game

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Note I was not comparing the leagues but the clubs.