Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week 2018-19

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yedlin shouldn't be a lock starter = Yedlin is bad. BS is indeed the same.

2. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Not just BS. This is a very trendy thing to say everywhere at the moment. Usually after they defend including Bradley despite his run of form because of experience and who else has any experience?

We will see how Yedlin does under Berhalter. Taking what anyone did under Sarachan and flushing that down the toilet. Nit picking a player's club play in the English Premiere League and then saying guys who are not elite MLS players are probably better seems strange.

But, Yedlin is not great in possession. Going from that to he is not as good as others or that defense might be as important is a stretch until we see it. Since we took forever to hire GB, we will have to wait until much later this year to make that kind of decision rather than know already.

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  3. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I'm listening to a few guys on BBC5 saying Chelsea bought Puli to sell shirts, and that they will, in fact sell a mountain of shirts.

Idiots abound. They are crazy if they think Chelsea is going to sell a bunch of Puli jerseys.

4. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I'm making a very specific point: it has been years since Yedlin contributed anything to the USMNT on offense. It pre-dates Sarachan by a stretch.

I'm not saying anything about any of the rest of the Yedlin discussion - I'm just saying that Yedlin's lack of offensive contribution to the MNT pre-dates Sarachan by a long shot.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  5. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My God man, you've been here for a long time. :D

6. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martin Fischer is a Big Soccer legend.

Red Card repped this.
  7. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Yedlin had more assists than Bradley in the Hex. I know, that is a low bar. He had the one touch pass off an interception for another goal. He was hurt for several of the qualifiers and his replacements did nothing offensively and hurt defensively in most of the games.

Except against minnows in the Gold Cup, the only fullback to make any offensive impact in the past two years, is Antonee Robinson. Outside of a lucky bounce off a long cross from Shaq Moore. But everyone wants to forget Robinson because Brazil made him look bad defensively. It is all wishful thinking that Greg Garza is going to be better than Robinson defensively and be as big a threat on offense. It is also wishful thinking, now, to think Cannon can replace Yedlin and do any better.

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's more conjecture. Does anyone remember if Yedlin contributed offensively while in MLS? Comparing what he did when the league wasn't quite as good to the new right backs still in the league is a good starting point. If Yedlin was amazing then they may never be better. If he was much as he is now where he gets into position but passes and crosses near the box are somewhat lacking while his contenders are much better at that would give some hope. His best attribute is amazing recoveries. He may be all time at those. I would add that what does Berhalter want out of his outside backs? In Columbus he wanted them to be dangerous offensively. That may change who is the starter sooner rather than later. They will all be fending off Dest in a year or two.

9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Fwiw, I'm on the Robinson bandwagon.

I've posted elsewhere that he looked exposed, where Yedlin didn't, because he was willing to get upfield some. If you never attack (Yedlin these days), you'll never get called naive.

10. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Maybe that is where experience comes in haha. Yedlin took one look at Sarachan's game plan and realized he had to stay back and wait for the on rushing attackers...

Have to give Yedlin credit for showing up under Sarachan as much as he did. I think his priority was to not get hurt during the games. Sarachan's priority was to not lose by more than two goals. So, hanging back and playing D worked out for both of them.

Cannon needs to take a step in MLS before I would really consider him. Again, he was ok, which is ok at his age. He needs to make the All-Star team this year to really be competition for Yedlin. If Cannon was in that game against Chelsea, do we really think it would look better?

Dest is also on the come but is still playing with the youth teams (at a great club). I'd bring Dest in for the Group Stage of the Gold Cup at least and get him cap tied. I'd have Dest and Cannon split time in the group stage then bring in Yedlin for Dest (let him get back to European pre-season). But, I think the GC is going to be when GB really will need to work with the first team; then refine things through the Fall FIFA dates.

RalleeMonkey and USSoccerNova repped this.
  11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We need to get used to the idea that often a Euro based player is not going to want it - "it" meaning USMNT play. At that stage you can go all Klinsi - who was mortified that anything having to do with Europe would not shine like an elite white knight next to the serfdom of USA soccer. Or, you can be a smart psychologist and set up a flexible system to deal with reality.

The fact that Yedlin isn't much interested is a big advantage for us. We have Cannon - all of 19 - showing great promise and in need of reps. Right behind him is the different brand of Lima who should be getting his first reps with senior team in Jan camp. This is a fantastic opportunity for us.

12. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Yedlin showed up. Players in MLS didn't show up either; so not sure why this is a Europe v MLS thing at all. In general, the Europe based guys actually showed up more than the MLS guys other than those from the Red Bulls. Have no idea why Klinsi is mentioned either. That entire conversation is getting old.

Not wanting to go hard into a tackle, in a friendly, under an unqualified interim coach, is not the same as, "not interested". Against Brazil, Yedlin set the tone early with a hard foul on Neymar. So, it wasn't all the time. Again, Yedlin showed up while Nagbe faked injury and complained about it being a chore to play for the USMNT (my speculation on the name but it is logical).

Cannon needs to dominate MLS before he is in the conversation with Yedlin. I think Cannon will this year. But he hasn't done anything yet. I doubt Lima ever amounts to anything but an ok MLS defender.

You are not given reps, you earn them by your club play. Cannon will get plenty of chances over the next 12 months, he has got to take it. Lots of young guys up next.

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yedlin didn't dominate MLS when he was in the league. He was then what he is now, an insanely fast RB with seriously flawed defensive chops. He got lit up by the few quality wingers the league possessed, players such as Fabian Castillo, Fagundez, and Nagbe.

He is a mediocre EPL fullback. He was ok in his last major tournament, the Copa Centenario.

He has incumbency with the NT; otherwise, there is nothing in his record to suggest Lima or Cannon, if given the chance, could not supplant him.

In the 433 that 3G has reportedly been using in Camp Cupcake practice, Yedlin would be best used as a wing-forward. His role would be to track back on defense and to provide width and an outlet in the attack---nothing too complicated.

In 4231, he would best be used as a very attacking right-back. The RCM and RCB would then need to be able to rotate over to provide heavy cover. I'm thinking of players such as a Tyler Adams and Mark McKenzie.

14. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Maybe. But saying that Yedlin has not improved since he was 20 and in MLS is unfair.

I think Cannon is poised for a breakout. But let's see it first. I think you are overrating all this camp cupcake talent on their current form. Let's see if Lima, McKenzie, Cannon make the game day roster against Panama. Let's see if they play well against cupcake competition, then let's see if they are called in March.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and largegarlic repped this.
  15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    His improvements have been more marginal than one would have expected.
    Form? Cannon made 34 appearances last season. Lima has been a starter for 2 seasons.
    Let's see how they continue to perform in league play.

16. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I think it's probably right to say that Yedlin is a mediocre EPL RB, but given the historical level of the US talent pool, that's pretty good. It's also clear to me that he's improved. He looked absolutely lost in his defensive positioning in the couple games he got at Spurs, but when he went to Sunderland with Big Sam, he got much, much better in this regard (even if he's still not perfect).

I really like Cannon's potential, and it would be great if he turns out to be better than Yedlin, but that's far from proven at this point.

Patrick167, TheHoustonHoyaFan and DHC1 repped this.
  17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Mediocrity at EPL level is a solid level with the respect to the historical US pool at right back; that was never in question, however. The idea that Yedlin is somehow untouchable is in question.

18. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    You moved the goal posts there. Nobody is untouchable, not even Pulisic. A better player should replace anyone.

The EPL in 2019 is a much higher quality of player, on average, than it was when Dempsey and Bradley played in it. The incredible amount of money is drawing coaches and players in from all over the world. Yedlin could find himself in the Championship next year, things change.

Cannon could be in Germany next year. Things change. But Cannon has not shown he is superior to Yedlin yet; the original goal posts.

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    There was no movement of goal posts. There were suggestions that Yedlin was somehow head and shoulders above all other right backs. His play for the US has been ok.

20. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    "Excellency said:
    It's time to leave him at home and try out the players of the future for that rb position, imo. I'm thinking the March friendlies. He looks like he doesn't want to be there anyway (Peru game). It's easy to criticize his game but what's the point at this stage.

We have Cannon who has done well so far for a guy his age. Lima gets a look in Jan camp. I'd give those guys a chance at better competition in March window."

One of Cannon and Lima can emerge from this camp and maybe challenge Moore to challenge Yedlin in March. But tossing aside Yedlin and anointing Cannon was the original goal posts.

21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Perhaps a quibble but

1. Yedlin’s club play is heads and shoulders over competition at this point (I agree he’s average in EPL)

2. I don’t recall any USMNT performance from any other RB that was comparable to yedlins (I agree it’s been ok as well).

That’s the state of our pool right now - maybe we’ll see something on point 2 in cupcake but don’t think we’ll see anyone getting major league minutes (although it’s not inconceivable that Yedlin loses his spot or they get relegated)

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The leagues in which Tim Chandler and DeAndre play are head and shoulders above MLS. Neither have been standouts while in US uniforms, however.

Who besides Yedlin has gotten significant minutes at rightback in recent times? Zusi?

23. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chandler and Yedlin have been standouts compared to their competition which has included Parkhurst, Brad Evans, Orozco-Fiscal, Cameron, Lichaj, Zusi, and Moore

Over the last 6 years only Fab Johnson has been a better RB for club and country than Chandler and Yedlin.

Patrick167 and DHC1 repped this.
  24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not sure why the ruckus over Yedlin. He's a very limited player. HIs scope of play never expanded after leaving Seattle, really. He's just a little more knowledgeable.

Get the bad taste out of your mouth with this week-end feature:

Adams v Pulisic

Sarge v Wood

Wes v. Brooks

frankburgers repped this.
  25. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    -adams is in the 18 for saturday
    -BVB twitter predict pulisic to start
    -liverpool mulling over a $23m offer for mckennie
    -Sargent's coach praising him
    -Soto could make a matchday squad
    -mendez could impress

going to be a huge few months for the young Bundesliga Americans

TxEx, Patrick167, STR1 and 2 others repped this.